AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted the following in the video processor forum. However. since I read many posts about the 50XBR800 here I thought I would run these questions by you all:

I recently purchased a Sony 50XR800 LCD RPTV. The picture is great with HD source material. DVD on this set looks good as well. However, DSS and S-Video from my TIVO set on high quality record mode is very poor. So poor that the wife (not a AV nerd like me) commented about the bad picture. I guess I need a line doubler or scaler? Some questions for you all:

How do I find out what resolutions this TV set will accept? As in what video processors will work on this set? The manual says very little about this. “Enables you to receive the 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i digital TV formatsâ€.

The LCD panels on this set are 1366 x 768. Is this the native resolution on this set?

I read on the forum about a display device’s ‘sweet spot’ resolution? What is it on this set?

Finally what line doublers would you recommend for improving DSS & TIVO picture quality on this set?

I’m not too concerned about buying something that will improve my DVD picture as it looks quite good with the inexpensive Toshiba progressive DVD player I have now. I have a Yamaha DVD-C920 with DCDi on the way to me. So I suspect the already good DVD picture I currently have will look even better with the DCDi player?

I like what I read about the iScan product. Small, plug and play, set and forget. The price is right, as in less than $1K. That’s all I can spend, as I blew the budget on the TV set. All I think I need is something that will make non HD DSS and TIVO look better. Not super good, just so it’s not distracting to watch these sources. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Ps. Any recommended reading to learn more about this stuff so I don’t have to pester you folks with these basic questions in the future?

Thanks in advance,

Gizmoguy

·
Registered
698 Posts
First off there are alot of threads about the new GWII. Go back about 20 days to find them all. Or if the search works use it. You'll find alot.

This thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=196558 by UMR covers what can be done with basic Sat. & cable signals. I plan on doing some if not all of the tweeking he has done when ever I get my 50" GW.

·
Premium Member
10,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gizmoguy

I recently purchased a Sony 50XR800 LCD RPTV. The picture is great with HD source material. DVD on this set looks good as well. However, DSS and S-Video from my TIVO set on high quality record mode is very poor. So poor that the wife (not a AV nerd like me) commented about the bad picture. I guess I need a line doubler or scaler? Some questions for you all:

How do I find out what resolutions this TV set will accept? As in what video processors will work on this set? The manual says very little about this. “Enables you to receive the 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i digital TV formatsâ€.

The LCD panels on this set are 1366 x 768. Is this the native resolution on this set?

I read on the forum about a display device’s ‘sweet spot’ resolution? What is it on this set?

Finally what line doublers would you recommend for improving DSS & TIVO picture quality on this set?

I’m not too concerned about buying something that will improve my DVD picture as it looks quite good with the inexpensive Toshiba progressive DVD player I have now. I have a Yamaha DVD-C920 with DCDi on the way to me. So I suspect the already good DVD picture I currently have will look even better with the DCDi player?

I like what I read about the iScan product. Small, plug and play, set and forget. The price is right, as in less than $1K. That’s all I can spend, as I blew the budget on the TV set. All I think I need is something that will make non HD DSS and TIVO look better. Not super good, just so it’s not distracting to watch these sources. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Ps. Any recommended reading to learn more about this stuff so I don’t have to pester you folks with these basic questions in the future?

Thanks in advance,

Gizmoguy
I would not recommend an external scaler/deinterlacer because the set will always be using its internal scaler and the built-in deinterlacer is very good. The bad picture you are seeing is mostly do to the gamma being too low on all the picture modes. The tweaks I have posted do address this issue.

As to the differences between those two players I have no idea which is better. My DVP-S7000 looks great on this set and it is not progressive. I would recommend you get an HD tuner and good cables if you really want to spend more money and skip buying the iScan.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
I would agree with UMR. I have the yamaha C920 and you will like the quality it puts out.... The only grip I have with it is that it cannot turn it off with the remote. I had the same PQ quality on my GWII. I bought a HD Receiver and the picture improved. I know that will note help with Tivo situation. UMR did have some tweaks that I have not tried but some people have and have had good results.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many thanks to Umr, Weejavadue and others for the suggestions on making my 50XBR800 look better on non HD source material. I will study Umr's notes on tweaking this set and report back.

Thanks again for the input folks!

Gizmoguy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.