AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help me choose from among the three RP units. The Sony and Toshiba units are almost identical in price and are about $600 less than the Hitachi unit. I am comparing the the prices for white glove delivery and set up.

The picture quality of Sony and Toshiba are about the same and the Hitachi looks slightly sharper and brighter, paricularly when viewing at a slight angle.

I am concerned about the apparent lack of manual convergence on the Sony 51WS500. Similarly, cnet review doesn't seem to like the color decoder on Toshiba 50HDX82. All three units may need ISF calibration by a professional for best picture.

It may be a while before I get a STB. So, it will be SD cable and DVDs for the next several months. I wonder which unit does best with analog/digital cable.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What, no opinions at all?

The best prices (including in-home delivery) I could come up with are ~$2100 for the 51WS500 or 51HDX82 and ~$2600 for the 51SWX20B. All of these prices are from e-tailers. I haven't yet tried to see if the local vendors will price match. I am pretty much limited to Circuit City, Sears and Rex where I live. (And there is this ridiculous 9.5% sales tax!)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I purchased a Sony 51WS500 and it came down with the flickers so I returned it for a Hitachi 51UWX20B. In my opinion the Hitachi has a much better picture and more options. Good Luck!!!:D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. I was under the impression that the flicker problem with the Sony unit applied only to a limited run with a specific range of serial numbers. Did I misunderstand?

While I am familiar with the pros on all three units, it is some of the cons that I am concerned about.

Is the lack of manual convergence on the Sony a major negative? What about the criticism of color decoder on the HDX82? C/Net had really liked the predecessor, HX81 but suggests that the HDX82 is bad. The stretch modes on the SWX20B haven't drawn good reviews on this forum. Plus it is priced significantly higher.

Which unit is best with standard cable and 4:3 broadcasts?

Please don't suggest any more choices. It is tough enough to decide among these three!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I just got the Hitachi last week (supposed to be here today). I choose it over the others you're looking at because of a number of things - mainly that it has the DIV/HDCP port on it. I'm not 100% sure the Sony is a HDCP port. The Toshiba just didn't measure up IMO.

Ended up getting Sears to price match BestBuy's special price on the Sony for the Hitachi, so I got it for about $1950.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Duplicator
I just got the Hitachi last week (supposed to be here today).

Ended up getting Sears to price match BestBuy's special price on the Sony for the Hitachi, so I got it for about $1950.
Huh? How did you get Sears to lower their price on the Hitachi by $750 through PM when BestBuy doesn't even sell that brand?

OneCall has the Sony 51WS500 at $1979 with free shipping! $1950 is a great price for the Hitachi 51SWX20B, but even should I get that, I am looking at an additional $185 in tax, $150 in delivery and $100 for installation. Still, I guess that I am looking for excuses to go with Hitachi:)

·
Registered
748 Posts
I would stay away from buying online if it's at all possible. Just my opinion but, the small savings you might find wouldn't be worth giving up the service you get from a local store and the ease of return.

I looked at all the sets you mentioned and went with the Hitachi.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=198903

·
Registered
30 Posts
Panini

Just sent you that receipt for the $2k SWX. Hope it works for you. Keep us up to date if you get it. I will be getting my SWX Sunday. Where should I start in getting the best pq for this thing. Have the SnV DVD. Just looking for some other things for newbies.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Hi. I just compared all these sets (but GWX not UWX).

Quote:
The picture quality of Sony and Toshiba are about the same and the Hitachi looks slightly sharper and brighter, paricularly when viewing at a slight angle.

Similarly, cnet review doesn't seem to like the color decoder on Toshiba 50HDX82. All three units may need ISF calibration by a professional for best picture.
I found the Sony much better in the color department than the Toshiba. I don't like the Toshiba color decoder either. It doesn't have as much red push as the Hitachi but the reds look too orange! The Sony had really nice reds, much less red push than the Hitachi (yes I measured it), and a more natural/realistic look in general. As a Toshiba fan, I am sad to say they are out this year. I don't think even an ISF can tweak the color decoder, the way I did my old Toshiba, because the Toshiba service menu is no good any more! If there is some other way to do it or the ADDR menu codes are known, then someone please spill the beans. I will never buy a Toshiba otherwise.

Now this will shock you: I actually preferred the "cheapo" 50H82 to the 50HDX82. The HDX seemed too soft (no it wasn't the SVM user setting), and the color temp was odd... I noticed this on two different sets in two different stores. Set to "warm" it was way too reddish. Set to "medium" it was closer to the H82 on "warm", but too blue. I think this can be tweaked in the service menu though. If it were possible to disable the SVM on the H82, that would probably be Toshiba's best set (shame about the cheapo cabinet and lousy color decoder). I could not tell any benefit at all to the HDX side-by-side with the H82 and this was with a high quality HD demo loop. Then I saw a 57HDX82 in another store and it had the same problems. In fact this sample was so soft on DVD the missing detail was obvious. I think they are trying to be too "film-like" with the HDX models.

Of course the Hitachi was brighter, those guns are cranked! The extra power and sharpness is useless though if the screen can't handle it. I did a complete AVIA tuneup (user controls only) on a 50GWX and a 57TWX (and Sony 57WV700) in the same shop. Both Hitachis had about 20-25% red push. Watching DVD films on the GWX, there was a strange "screen door" type artifact I can't really describe other than some kind of pixelization. It was as if sharpness was set too high, but it was set way down as per AVIA. There was also some noise around edges, perhaps a 480-540 upconversion artifact? I found it very distracting and couldn't stand the set.

The 57TWX was even worse with the noise! It didn't have the pixelization problem but it was excessively soft. I will assume for now the sample I saw was defective or beat-up. Switching the player from progressive to interlaced did not help (it just got a tad noisier). I did see the noise problem again on another Hitachi in another shop. It distracts me whatever it is, so Hitachi is out for me.

That leaves Sony. I actually preferred the low-end Sony 51WS500 to any Toshiba or Hitachi regardless of price. I just couldn't find anything wrong with it, and it doesn't require serious tweaking. Some people find them grainy, but I think that may actually be on the DVD and other sets are smoothing it out somehow. Just keep the sharpness control down. Sure it doesn't have the killer blacks and 3D effect of the screen on the 57WV700, but I'm not expecting that at such a low price.

With the pricing you guys get in the US, you should also seek out the Pioneer SD533. It was the best in the house next to the big Sony and comes in a sweet size (53"). Color is great out of the box, as I could not detect any push. It is detailed AND clean on both DVD and HD. Shadow details abound, more realistic looking than even the Sony. All criteria are met at a reasonable price. Owning it could even make me forget about the big Sony. The screen certainly doesn't catch reflections like the WV700.

·
Registered
96 Posts
No question the Hitachi SWX, TWX and XWX series are better then Sony Toshiba. I had the Sony 51WS500 in my house for almost two weeks but I was not happy with the picture. I bought the 51SWX20B, fantastic set. When I bought my Sony, I paid $1865 and traded up to the Hitachi for $2365. Well worth the difference. My son in Arizona got the 57TWX20B for $2499. It was delivered with a scratch on the top and they gave him additional $250 off the price of the set. That's what I call a deal.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jhiter
Panini

Just sent you that receipt for the $2k SWX. Hope it works for you. Keep us up to date if you get it. I will be getting my SWX Sunday. Where should I start in getting the best pq for this thing. Have the SnV DVD. Just looking for some other things for newbies.
Were you able to get the set for the same price I did? I checked my CC again tonight and they were still selling for $1999 plus they were giving a $100 gift card back ;) - hope they don't delete THIS thread now :mad:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rseynaev
Were you able to get the set for the same price I did? I checked my CC again tonight and they were still selling for $1999 plus they were giving a $100 gift card back ;) - hope they don't delete THIS thread now :mad:
The previous thread apparently was deleted because the moderator thought the price I paid for my 51SWX20B is an employee purchase price (which it wasn't). He could have asked me before getting trigger happy :confused:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was wondering about that thread. I got the receipt before it got shut down. MY CC wouldn't go as low as what you paid because they said your CC was PMing another local store, they called. But they did go down to $2099 with $100gc, which made it $1999. Pretty good deals if you ask me.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Umm .. wow ..

Everyone in here is saying the Hitachi knocks out the Toshiba .. and I want to know why, and what source material you are using ?

The Hitachi stretch modes _SUCK_ for this reason alone I would recommend against buying one to anyone. The majority of people still watch significant amount of SDTV content (whether it be dish or cable) and those stretch modes really bite, leaving you with no choice but to watch with the side bars.

Now the Toshiba's factory settings need adjustment true ! But after adjustment I dont' see anything better about the Hitachi .. the Tosh has better blacks, a better stretch mode, it DOES have DVI input to whomever above said it didn't (the original poster is talking about the HDX82 not the H82). What does the Hitachi have over the Tosh ? Thats what I have been trying to figure out .. everyone says "I looked at both and got the Hitachi" and i can't figure out why .. it looks like an inferior set to me ..

·
Registered
170 Posts
I love my 51swx 20b.I think the stretch modes are fine and will become irrelevant in a few years.The blacks are true black right out of the box.I've manually converged this set almost to perfection, and it's beautiful.I will have it professionally calibrated by an ISF guy in a month or two.The red push needs correcting and the greens look a little lime green.Some reds look orange,but I don't think you can go wrong the Hitachi.Btw,I paid $2429.00 for mine at cc. Regards,Pete

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
The Designer Mode codes/addresses on the Toshiba are apparently known by very few selected ISF trained individuals. Not sure why Toshiba chose to go this route (i.e. making the addresses in ADDR and what they do available to only a few individuals), so one has to definately do their homework if they choose to ISF calibrate a Toshiba since if the calibrationist is not one of the selected few the job will obviously suffer.

The HDX's have better lenses, CRTs, lenticular screen, anti-glare screen (I've got the HDX, and if it's better than the H the H must really stink!), remote, nicer box, etc. However, they also seem more prone to quality issues than the H82's. IMO the colours are incredible, but could be that I just got a good one OOTB.

Fully calibrated all will look very similar. OOTB all can look great, or crappy, it varies. All have their issues (HDX - upconversion can be an issue for some and QC, harder to tweak this year; Hitachi's - I'm seeing more and more posts about pastel like colours on many sets, smears, stretch, red push which can apparently be tweaked out; Sony's - flicker, the comments that they don't do anything "great" but do most things good, etc).

These days you can go for a set, and if you don't like it OOTB, take it back and get another one (same brand or different).

Determine what your viewing will be and make your decision based on the set that is best for that. Or take the other route and determine what your "critical" viewing will be (i.e. where you really want your set to shine) and base a decision on that.

If you read enough of these threads, you're not going to get any set b/c you will find they all have their problems.

Regards,

PBC

·
Registered
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jhiter
I was wondering about that thread. I got the receipt before it got shut down. MY CC wouldn't go as low as what you paid because they said your CC was PMing another local store, they called. But they did go down to $2099 with $100gc, which made it $1999. Pretty good deals if you ask me.
It wasn't a price match, it wasn't an open box - selling price was right on the unit. As of last night they were STILL selling for that price. The 51UWX20B was going for $1699 plus $100gc.

The CC is in Portland, OR. Phone # is (503) 283-8009

·
Registered
757 Posts
I see more problems posted on this board with the hitachi and sony. I really don't see any people posting problems with the toshiba sets.

(many say the 42hdx82 is better than the 50) - if a smaller set is justifiable in your room

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
Metalaaron - You might be right, I'm just used to going on Toshiba Forums so people would only be posting problems about a Toshiba. I've had my share of problems (and as of yesterday am sitting with a shell of a TV as they took the chassis away to check the CRTs).

Also, from what I understand, a smaller set inherently should have better detail than a larger screen.

Man, surround sound, but no Picture (other than a 19" Hitachi that doesn't have a DVD input or accept digital cable). It's like someone is playing a cruel, cruel joke on me!

PBC

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.