AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I mentioned in my thread asking about the Costco Pioneer 643 set, I stumbled into a KILLER deal on a 51WS550 (Can you say HALF of MSRP? I knew you could.) and pulled the trigger on the deal, based largely on David Matthews favorable write-up here.

I sent him a PM asking for advice, but seeing as he hasn't responded yet, I'm throwing it open to comments from all owners of this set. What tweaks, tips, etc. do you have to offer an HT neophyte?

TIA! :)

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bumping. I heard that the low price may've been due to soft sales, but egads, NO ONE here has one?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bumping for further ignorance.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm hoping it arrives tomorrow and would like some preliminary tweak tips to rein in the red push and torch mode and what not. What can be done with the basic settings and what requires the scary service mode to acheive?

C'mon xxWS550 owners - help a brother out! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also got a 51ws550. The picture is quite good. I have not much complain of the quality of the picture. The setup menu is quite user friendly. The thing that I did find is that the size of picture seemed to be too big. I have a THX optimizer DVD, which allows me to tune my TV. On the 16:9, the right edge is out of the screen. I do not know how to make the squeeze or move the screen.

Does anyone know what its secret "servicing" code is? I have a JVC TV and when I had it callibrate, the service person was able to get to its "secret" menu using the remote control. It would be nice to do the same for this TV.

All in all, I am quite happy with this TV.

BTW, when you said that you got half of the MSRP, did you include the gift certificate and MIR?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jp007
I also got a 51ws550. The picture is quite good. I have not much complain of the quality of the picture. The setup menu is quite user friendly. The thing that I did find is that the size of picture seemed to be too big. I have a THX optimizer DVD, which allows me to tune my TV. On the 16:9, the right edge is out of the screen. I do not know how to make the squeeze or move the screen.

Does anyone know what its secret "servicing" code is? I have a JVC TV and when I had it callibrate, the service person was able to get to its "secret" menu using the remote control. It would be nice to do the same for this TV.

All in all, I am quite happy with this TV.

BTW, when you said that you got half of the MSRP, did you include the gift certificate and MIR?
Last thing first - no gift certificates involved, but yes to including the rebate.

I got it Sunday afternoon and watched the Janet Jackson Show that night in OTA HD and I kept going downstairs where the 38" regular TV was and kept yelling, "You are not a man!!!", at the viewer. It SEEMS spiffy, but I've got a few questions:

1. I also ran the THX Optimizer patterns off the AOTC DVD and the LEFT side of my picture is cut off. It's noticeable in AOTC when the Queen's party enters Palpatine's office in the beginning - on the far left is a blue-skinned girl with an open-front costume (think: Andorian J.Lo!) and she is almost entirely cropped out.

It also seems like the matte bars aren't wide enough either for 2.35:1 content and I suspect it's zoomed in due to the cheap Go Video DVD/VCR we had hooked up on the component outs. I've seen comments about picture stretching in Go Video products, so I've picked up a Zenith progressive combo unit (I know, but the g/f wants it this way) and will report back t'row.

2. The DirecTV (S-Video) and regular TV colors seem really muted while DVD is very sharp and vibrant. I adjusted the Pro mode with THX and what I've watched looks very good, but when I watched Blue Crush on HBO or something, the ocean looked weak (final surf contest) and Kate's black party dress looked grey, like the brightness was too high. My g/f watched Under The Tuscan Sun and said it looked great, but Far From Heaven on the DSS looked bad.

3. I bought the HD AV pack for the Xbox and set the console to widescreen and that it could handle 480p, 720p and 1080i signals. (I know 720p gets upsampled to 1080 - Soul Calibur 2 is the only game I know of that isn't 480p in my collection.) SC2 displays as 4:3 and PGR2 and Crimson Skies are widescreen, but appear stretched out. I may be overlooking game-specific display settings - once again, not enough time yet.

I believe the Service Mode is accessed by pressing (w/TV off) Display, 5, Vol +, Power in quick order. I don't know what settings are what and wish someone would point me toward a tweak guide for this set. Other sets have guides, but this is a different deal.

In the day I've had it, it seems cool, but I need to wrench on it more to really see what's what. I hope some other users have some tips for us!

·
Registered
3 Posts
The service code does work; however as you said, it is completely cryptic unlike the JVC service mode, which is more user friendly. I'll try searching on the web for more information.

If I find anything, I'll post it. If anyone in the forum knows what to do, please share your information.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Check out the Sony user group on Yahoo. Some tweak files there for the WS500 that probably apply to the 550. I've got the KP51WS500 and I've done most of the tweaks from the Yahoo site and have also used AVIA. My HT is in the basement with no exterior windows. Once tweaked a little, the picture on the Sony is great.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I swapped in the Zenith unit for the GoVideo and ran the THX Optimizer and the image is now centered and the blue girl is back! I did the adjustments with the Warm color setting and the colors are much better now.

Leno in HD is unreal - it's as if you could reach in and punch his smarmy lights out! Letterman doesn't look as good. We'll see how Enterprise looks tonight.

Anyone got good picture settings to share?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.