AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are about to purchase a new 52' Sony Bravia. My question is wether we should purchase the XBR6 or the W-4100 series. The price difference seems to be about $500.

On impulse we purchased a 52' 3000 series Phillips LCD but the Judder/Pixilation seems terrible. This SONY will replace and fix our mistake hopefully.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Should I expect better performance from either SONY compared to the entry level Phillips we purchased a couple days ago?

·
Registered
86 Posts
With those two choices, I'd spend the extra money on the XBR6. I had the same decision you're currently making, and I was much much happier I spent the extra money on the XBR6.

The colors looks much richer on the XBR6, and the PQ looks better than the W.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
If you want a honest answer. I really, really wanted an XBR6. That was until I spoke with the wife.
. In the end, in your home, without an XBR6 side by side to the W4100 - will you see the differences between the two. Likely not since you will only have one set to look at.
Thus I made the educated decision to go look at the W4100 and the XBR6 and to my eyes, I couldn't see a difference. So to me, I went with the W4100 (saved the cash for other things) and since that is the only LCD I have in my living room I couldn't be happier. The 52W with the PS3 is jaw dropping gorgeous. Now if I had more cash at the time, maybe I would have gotten the XBR6, maybe. But if I couldn't see a difference, why would I spend more just for an XBR logo. Now if you can see a difference, let you eyes and wallet do the talking.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The main reason for my post is that I cannot view the XBR in person. I live in the middle of nowhere NY and none of the stores carry any sets above the W4100 series. If I could see both side by side I would easily be able to make a decision.

I come to the forums for others opinions because my decision will have to be on a culmination of others opinions and reviews.

·
Registered
46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdoctor /forum/post/15574976

If you want a honest answer. I really, really wanted an XBR6. That was until I spoke with the wife.
. In the end, in your home, without an XBR6 side by side to the W4100 - will you see the differences between the two. Likely not since you will only have one set to look at.
Thus I made the educated decision to go look at the W4100 and the XBR6 and to my eyes, I couldn't see a difference. So to me, I went with the W4100 (saved the cash for other things) and since that is the only LCD I have in my living room I couldn't be happier. The 52W with the PS3 is jaw dropping gorgeous. Now if I had more cash at the time, maybe I would have gotten the XBR6, maybe. But if I couldn't see a difference, why would I spend more just for an XBR logo. Now if you can see a difference, let you eyes and wallet do the talking.

+1. I end up with the 52w4100.

·
Registered
238 Posts
don't buy the w. I bought it and returned it. it is washed out and dim. the xbr6 is a much better lcd. get the xbr6. i would do a samsung over the w.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim100 /forum/post/15575412

don't buy the w. I bought it and returned it. it is washed out and dim. the xbr6 is a much better lcd. get the xbr6. i would do a samsung over the w.

Sounds more like a poorly calibrated or a defective W. In any case, any set including the xbr6, Samsung can looked washed out and dim if not properly set up. If you still had the TV I would tell you to look at the calibration thread for the W. There are some very, very happy owners tweaking the heck out of this machine.

jello - I did my undergrad at Cornell - where in NY are you?

As for the set man - I guess if I were you and you planned to by the TV locally, get the W and do a test run. If you like it, stop there and enjoy the TV and the savings. If not, order the XBR. But here is a test for you - the XBR6 is just the Z line marked with XBR with slight cosmetic/speaker changes but the same LCD panel specs. Go look at the 46Z (they should carry that one) and compare to the 46W. If you like the Z better, then go order the 52 XBR (there is no 52Z, got to wonder why
)

On a side note - from all the reading I've done on these sets, some will say the 52W is better than or equal to the Z/XBR and others will say Z/XBR is better, but not by leaps and bounds. I would call it a draw. So If you really want to blow away both of these sets, wait for/get the XBR8.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I work at best buy I went with the xbr6 and I freakin love it. I dont think but I know I came up with the right chioce enjoy your tv what ever you go with.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Is there a screen difference between the W and the XBR6? or do both have the gloss screen with the treatment or only gloss? I have a bright room, and I was orginally considering the Samsung 630 over the 850 because of the matte screen.

Also, one of the "selling" points of the XBR6, is 10 bit video processing. Does the W have 8 or 10 bit? This is suspeciously absent from the specs on the W and all Samsung models

·
Registered
673 Posts
amazon has a good deal on both of those sets right now, basically $300 off if buy with a S550 BR player for the W series

or $400 off on the XBR with the S550, the XBR tends to be way overpriced in B&M stores, I saw it for over $3k in a Circuit City which is ridiculous, so be sure to shop around on that

I think alot of people settle for the W, my friend just got the 52" W series on Amazon with a similar deal and loves it. Like is earlier said, unless you are a videophile its hard to tell any differences in PQ.

btw, the best deal on a TV right now is probably the 50" 5020 Kuro, although its a plasma it is very highly rated and the price has dropped alot. Definitely an option to compare against the XBR Sony, IMO

·
Registered
673 Posts
problem with store setups, is most of them don't have a good feed and lighting conditions aren't ideal. You really need a single source HDTV connection(instead of one all split up) AND also a Blu-Ray connected, to really see what they can do.

also keep in mind that in store, the settings get all messed up generally and they don't look like it will once its at home. Plasma's generally don't look as good in store as they do in home.

·
Registered
452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjanak /forum/post/15611078

Also, one of the "selling" points of the XBR6, is 10 bit video processing. Does the W have 8 or 10 bit? This is suspeciously absent from the specs on the W and all Samsung models

W is 8 bit. That said, I have W and the picture quality is absolutely stunning*. I see no banding or other artifacts that might be attributable to insufficient bit depth.

*Stunning, except for the backlight autodimming and intentional resolution limiting (blurring) issues that are inherent to the BE2 engine, and discussed at length in other threads here. And, IMO, should disqualify both W and XBR from consideration by any videophile.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I also have 52-W4100 which i chose purely because i couldnt see a big enough difference to justify $500 and i am very happy with my decision.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I Would go with the 52XBR6, it's an amazing LCD tv. The pq is superb and to my eyes definitely looked a bit better than the W. It's also has better blacks if that matters to you. Ultimately go with the tv you really feel is best for you; and don't settle. Make sure what ever tv you decide to go with that you are completely satisfied.

·
Registered
698 Posts
My Dad bought the W & I bought the XBR6. For my dad, the W was just fine. He's 80 & this is his first HD TV. Watches OTA only.

For me, I wanted the 10bit pannel & Jpeg play back via USB. The diff. was only $300 in my case. The XBR does come with a better remote too. However with me it's no big deal since I have a Harmony remote.

Now, I tweeked both sets from postings here on the forum & I don't really think I can tell much diff. between the two to be honest.

However I've only been to his house 3 times in the month & a half since he got his so it's not really subjective on my part personally.

As far as problems between the two I haven't kept track of which one might have problems with sparkles, flashlighting or clouding more than the other. My Dad & myself don't have any problems at all. Lucky us.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts