AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like some opinions re the which of these two TV's has the best picture, etc. Not interested in price diff, size diff., and fact the Sony has a build-in HDTV tuner. The 57XBR2 is just out and the Pioneer Elite 510 has been out for a couple of years and will be replaced by the 520 in Nov. Any comments regarding which is the best would be appreciated. Thanks.

------------------

Hugh Campbell

·
Registered
539 Posts
Hugh,

I've used a 610 for about a year and a half combined with a Dish6000 and a RP-91. I can't talk about the sony because I know nothing about it but the 610 is a wonderful piece of gear. Research will show the 510/610/710 series to be the yardstick everything else is measured by. Bucks be dammed, these are fine sets.

·
Registered
149 Posts
New Sony XBR2-57 installed 2 weeks ago (at an awful time), but very impressed with the set. Seems much more stable in all situations than friend's 65" from earlier this year.

For instance; convergence is a much more involved grid (as accessed from the service menu); picture not so soft as last year's version, and features extraordinary. Haven't figured out how to make use of the iLink (firewire) yet, as I do have iLink on one PC and my DV cam, but find use of the integrated tuner not as redundant (having an HD 100 for HD) as I thought. Tuner enbables use of 'surfing' favorites which can include both digital, analog and cable selections .. a feature not seen before than I'm aware of. Only complaint; the improved remote will not control the Yamaha amp., which the HD 100 remote will; and is IR only; not IR and RF in combination, as the HD 100 remote uniquely is (which makes it a really good sigle-remote alternative). Got the Monster 5000, which I thought was all hype, but isn't, as it seems to have cleaned up some of the graininess particularly on ABC HD, which is available locally (along with CBS). Anyway, geometry and color good; would have to rate Sony's new XBR2 high, so far at least.

cheers...and god bless the Nation as we get closer to action

gene

·
Registered
733 Posts
Gene-

How does the 57xbr2 do with 4:3 material? What picture mode do you use to watch it? Does the picture look distorted in any way??

Norm

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
Haven't seen the picture on the Sony yet, but I'll point out that it is one of two existing sets on sale (as yet) with 1394/DTCP connections (its sibling, the KD-34XBR2 direct-view is the other and Mitsubishi's similar WT-55859 is due to ship soon). It is therefore equiped to display HD recordings from Mitsubishi's upcoming HS-HD2000U HD D-VHS VCR, which has no other kind of HD output (or input). The advantage here is that, while JVC's HM-DH30000U HD D-VHS VCR has an MPEG decoder and component video outputs over which it can display non-copy-protected recordings in full HD, it costs $2000, twice the price of Mitsubishi's deck. Either deck would require a 1394/DTCP source to record from, which the OTA tuner in the Sony provides.

Just something to consider if you're interested in near-term HD video recording devices.

-- Mike Scott

[This message has been edited by michaeltscott (edited 09-28-2001).]

·
Registered
832 Posts
Not quite the same TV but here is what i saw last week at a audio/video store.

They had a Pioneer Elite 700 series 64" from about 2 generations ago and a Sony 57" 10 series from earlier this year, side by side.

To say that Pioneer was sharper would be an understatement.

The Sony wasn't even in the same league. It almost looked like Standard definition next to the Pioneer.

The salesman told me that the new 40 series was noticeably sharper than this as was the HD2 or XBR2(whatever it is called). He had just seen them in Indianapolis.

He said that the Sony uses Hybrid lenses and the Pioneer uses glass lenses which are superior.

He couldn't tell me if the new Sony was as sharp as the Pioneer Elite because he had not seen them side by side. He felt it would be close. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Gene Inger

Can you tell me exactly how wide the top shelf is on the 57xbr2. I been worried my center channel will not fit.

Also I heard rumors that not all picture, brightness, color and hue controls are available in the menu.

Also what are the stretch modes for reg. 4X3 and 16X9 tv?

Where did you buy it and for how much?

I ordered one last Thurs. (sight un-seen), but have to monday to tell him to cancel. The local hi-end guy wanted a sale before the end of the month. I live in Flagstaff, about 125 miles from Phoenix. I am going down to Phoenix sat. or sun. to find one, to take a closer look.

The local guy remembered I returned the 36fs12 for the 32xbr400 last Nov., and knows I want the xbr2 over the hw40.

Thanks for any help on the top self dim.

Robert

------------------

rciegr

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hi Mike & Robert-

Well, let's see what I can recall off-hand. The set's width is about 54", but for the center channel I think you mean the depth of the top ledge, before it tapers down (which makes it easier to fit into some entertainment centers like mine without major carpentry work)...the depth is about 8" for the flat part of the ledge, and then 2 1/2 where the screen housing/enclosure protrudes (not a bad look either) while total depth of course is about 28-29 inches or so. I use a Martin Logan center channel, which fits on a bridge well above, so I didn't really compare that part before.

I think Robert's point about the iLink (firewire) being usable with the forthcoming HD VCR due to the integrated tuner is a very good point; will probably make me get one of those. Tried to use my Sony DV cam to no avail; but that is because software isn't out to do so (upgradable by memory stick incidentally, which I'm sure is unique to Sony, and I know is not on the basic non-XBR models, or last year's).

As to the 'controls', all the hue/color/modes etc. are absolutely on the remote; only the 'flash focus' requires a walk to the set, though it seems to hold consistently, not like the XBR10 last year, which was known to be unstable. The stretch modes for 4x3 always distort things a bit, unless you use 'wide zoom', which effectively magnifies the picture (cutting off some information) to keep aspects the original ratio. I tend to use 'full' which stretches it just horizontally (similar to the Mitsu. I also have), and really can't tell any difference between them notably on that score. Analog not particularly great on either; HD is awesome on the Sony; and seems considerably improved over last year. Blacks are quite black; so I guess they's done something to improve the contrast ratio too. I seriously considered the Mitsu, but the Havi version isn't out yet, and the 08 doesn't have the integrated tuner... which is not particularly reduntant to the HD box, because of the ability to use twinview (pop), which doesn't exist in the digital mode of anything else I've seen (1 HD + 1 analog, and resizable windows with the mouse/curser on the silver remote, which is also new, but won't control the amp.)

In any event, I think that covers the points asked (I'm a stock market analyst, not a video tech, or I'd probably be able to put numbers on some of this)..other than to Norm, I really have never seen an analog picture that wasn't more or less stretched, unless you run it in 4:3 mode, which on a projection set risks phosphor burns to some extent; so other than that (and you can run it in 4:3 if you want) it seems about the same as the Mitsu; just better color in my opinion. A friend has the Pioneer 58", and in my opinion it doesn't have the depth or color of the Sony, besides being 16:10 I think, but that's a subjective matter I think.

For the price (which I didn't think particularly proper to mention) I like the Sony best; not to mention it has 200 point convergence in the service mode, rather than 64 or so last year...so at the moment it made the top of my list. As to list, I think its 5m; got it for about that, including the extended service and tax; from Sound Advice. Probably could have done a little better, or a lot better on any of the left-over prior models, but wanted the new one with all the improvements and fixes, and knew it would cost a tad more to get it early-on. Personal choice, but I prefer to use local dealers due to service etc. on something like a projection HD set, rather than buying via the 'net. Have never had a problem from them (with any brand, and I've had several projections; both RP and FP), which to me is less hastle than dealing with a manufacturer at a distance.

Anyway, hope this helps a bit, and yes, I'd buy the XBR in a flash over the lower-priced 57", which lacks the tuner as well as some other features, if cost is not paramount. I'm happy with the Sony (4 local OTA HD stations available + DirecTV); now if only the market could sustain a rally:-}.

cheers..

gene

````````````````

gene inger

ingerletter.com

·
Registered
31 Posts
Gene, Thanks again.

I sent you a E-mail back to you about my trip to Phoenix (Fry's) to see the xbr2.

After playing with the thing for hours (not like our one local hi-end or sears), I cannot remember if VM (vel. mod.) was adjustable in the video menu. If you get a chance e-mail me back.

The 57xbr2 is a excellent lookin set. Fry's had the set back in the "Bose" room, So I played for hours, mostly alone.

I was tempted to try "display,5,vol+,power", but this was after I told the computer sales guy that he was dead wrong when he said the GF3 was the exact same as the gf2-ultra.

Fry's is way cool to let us play & tweak things for hours, but some of these guys are clueless. Back in the TV dept., I was explaining to a few customers about HDTV and widescreen, DRC, Firewire, ect., even the sales guys asked me how to reset the 57hw40 back to a normal wide mode. One of the customers said I should be selling TV's.

Its nice having a sony xbr400, cause the remotes on all the sony's seem to work the same.

I must say, I keep going back over to the 40"-xbr700.

It hade a hd-net feed to it and it looked beautiful.

The 57xbr2 only had a Sencor? HD-recorder hooked up, it looked ok, but not as good as the HD-net TV's. The Sencor was hooked up with a coax, so I think they were using the tv's HD-tuner. Dvd's (driven & Toy story2) looked very good. Anyone compare the Sencor with a actual HD-feed directly?

The 57xbr2 is on is way.

Thanks again Gene, And if you get a chance, e-mail about the VM setting. Also, did you do a 200 pt. conv. in the service menu or were you just checking it out for the future.

Robert

------------------

rciegr

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.