AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
received my new sony 60" sxrd A2000 last PM usually use D* but my HR10-250 just broke. Therefore hooked up straightforward coaxial Comcast cable that we have for the standard package i.e. no cable box etc. ran it into the cable in and performed the channel scan feature. It picked up 81 analog channels and 83 digital channels including my locals in high-def!!

3 questions:

1. how did this happen? I have been using OTA for locals in high def with my D*, but did not attatch my OTA to the new set and these are clearly Comcast digital channels including HBO

2. if I run optical out from the TV to my Yamaha can i then get the sound via the Yamaha for the cable rather than from teh TV sound, any tricks with doing this

3. If I run PS 3 via HDMI straight to the TV and optical from PS 3 to Yamaha, do I need to run any other audio or video cables to the Yamaha for games?

answers are greatly appreciated

·
Registered
61 Posts
RE: 2 & 3

I don't want to be a smartass, but why don't you just try it and find out?

I have a Sony TV and the optical output is only for cable and OTA. If you are using HDMI, the audio will not pass through the TV to the optical output. I don't have the same model as you, so this might be different on your TV.

·
Registered
632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindoc /forum/post/0

received my new sony 60" sxrd A2000 last PM usually use D* but my HR10-250 just broke. Therefore hooked up straightforward coaxial Comcast cable that we have for the standard package i.e. no cable box etc. ran it into the cable in and performed the channel scan feature. It picked up 81 analog channels and 83 digital channels including my locals in high-def!!

3 questions:

1. how did this happen? I have been using OTA for locals in high def with my D*, but did not attatch my OTA to the new set and these are clearly Comcast digital channels including HBO

2. if I run optical out from the TV to my Yamaha can i then get the sound via the Yamaha for the cable rather than from teh TV sound, any tricks with doing this

3. If I run PS 3 via HDMI straight to the TV and optical from PS 3 to Yamaha, do I need to run any other audio or video cables to the Yamaha for games?

answers are greatly appreciated

1. Your tv has a QAM tuner and Comcast offers these channels on the basic set up.

2. On my sony 50a10 if the digital channel is broadcast in DD5.1 you can use the optical, you have to also use the red and white stereo cables for everything else.

3. As stated before I don't think the sony will pass thru the DD5.1 signal.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Also, AIUI, DirecTV is still downconverting 1920X1080i to 1280X1080i, so switching to cable HD viewing provided the full 1080i format resolution on your display. Depending on the program, the range of frequencies/resolutions between 1280 and 1920 horizontally can make a significant difference in picture 'crispness'. (Actually, other than test patterns, the effective resolution (maximum resolvable details) of the 1080i/p format doesn't extend to the full format resolution--although oversampling at, say, 4k X 2k, then downconverting, should boost resolvable details considerably.) -- John

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you all for your timely responses. I am learning daily. I will play with the different inputs and audio, though it is somewhat difficult because of theTV location. I am now going to see if my 40" Sony LCD Bravia also has a QAM tuner. It will beat the hell out of playing with the rabbit ears all the time!

Obviously the excitement of the the new SXRD allowed to me to post at 2 in themorning!

GO Bears!!!

Tucson transplant

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.