AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This problem has been building and appears to get worse. When the TV is initially turned on it will do its initial blinks, come on to the point where you hear audio and begin to see video, then turn off. Turn it on again and it will do the same thing. Repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat.

If you are persistent, eventually it will turn on and stay on. Sometimes it will take 5 to 10 cycles and most recently, it has gotten worse - last night I probably had to turn it on 30 to 40 times. Obviously, my fear is that eventually this problem will become solid and it will never turn on successfully. Oddly, this is not consistent as there will be occasions where it will turn on appropriately in one cycle only.

I have trolled the forums and have not seen this specific problem referenced. However, I've seen numerous postings talking about "replacing the lamp" and "replacing the thermal switch". About one or two years ago I did have the optical block problem, (yellowish vertical line in the picture). Fortunately, I was able to have this repaired under free extended warranty. Even though we use the television set a lot, the lamp has never been replaced and the picture is still bright and sharp. No repair has ever been made other than the optical block assembly.

I saw a thread where the owner solved a problem wherein the TV would turn off, then turn back on during operation. The problem was solved by changing the lamp. However, this is not specifically my problem - my TV does not turn off while operating. I don't have my specific model handy but I seem to recall that it might be something like KDS60XBR or something like that. It's about five or six years old and has been generally, a great television set. I have numerous commentaries over the years to the effect "I've never seen a better picture".

I'm betting that someone out there understands this problem - forums on the Internet are wonderful. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I would suggest starting with the bulb. I had a DLP that was acting up (turned itself off). I had an older bulb laying around and put that back in. Problem solved. You could always buy a bulb and test it out. If that didn't solve it you could always return the bulb or sell it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts