AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm just after some information on the Sony 60" W850B TV, does this model suffer from the radial banding issue that plagues so many of the 70" models? Or is it only limited to the 70" models? I'm in the process of working something out with Samsung (4 techs have come to my house, all boards and panel were replaced but my problem still persists). So I'm hoping I can get a refund instead of a replacement so I can buy this Sony TV. (I currently have the Samsung 60" F7100).

Another question I had was, is there a panel lottery with this Sony TV - am I guaranteed to get a Sony panel with this TV? One thing I don't like about Samsung is that they don't make a 60" panel and for all their TV's in that size they use a Sharp panel and sometimes other cheaper panels. Besides the radial banding, what panel this Sony TV uses how is the backlight bleed on this TV? According to the review site Rtings, the panel they received had a pretty bad backlight problem (picture below). Is that the kind of normal backlight issue I can expect with this 60" Sony TV?

Anyways, besides a refund (which I'm not even sure Samsung will offer) I assume they will offer to swap my F7100 for the new H7000 model, is that a better idea? (I live in Australia and we only have the H7000 here, not the 7150 - and I'm not sure if they are the same models). Anyways, I use my TV for 100% gaming and nothing else. I have a Plasma TV for all my TV/Movie watching needs. Cheers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Leading up to the decision to purchase this very model (kdl-60w850b), I perused the entirety of the 850b (and most of the comparable 800, 850) thread.
In short, the 60" version doesn't exhibit radial banding artifacts like the 70" version (although one person indicated his 60" did). I don't believe there is a panel lottery with the sony 60 -- just a single manufacturer (which I believe is Sharp, but I can't remember explicitly). My w850b does exhibit some minor clouding, but overall I am very pleased with the picture quality (particularly for gaming, which comprises a large proportion of its use).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
use search. there is a big thread on this model and this issue is covered extensively.
I searched extensively on Google before making this thread and found no results matching my search - on whether or not it affects the 60" model. As for the official thread on here, I read it from start to finish. As I recall I think only 2 people mentioned their 60" model had very slight banding, which is why I wanted to make sure before going ahead with the purchase. But Thank you anyways for your response.

Leading up to the decision to purchase this very model (kdl-60w850b), I perused the entirety of the 850b (and most of the comparable 800, 850) thread.
In short, the 60" version doesn't exhibit radial banding artifacts like the 70" version (although one person indicated his 60" did). I don't believe there is a panel lottery with the sony 60 -- just a single manufacturer (which I believe is Sharp, but I can't remember explicitly). My w850b does exhibit some minor clouding, but overall I am very pleased with the picture quality (particularly for gaming, which comprises a large proportion of its use).
Thanks heaps for your reply, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. I know with LCD-LED technology you can't have a completely uniform screen, and that it will exhibit some clouding (which I'm ok with). I was just a bit worried with the TV Rtings received and that picture they posted (which is above) as that is pretty severe clouding (maybe they just got a bad panel?). Anyways, I was also worried when 1-2 people mentioned in the official thread there was some slight banding on their 60" TV, so as long as my TV doesn't have it, I can live with the other small imperfections. Cheers.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I searched extensively on Google before making this thread and found no results matching my search - on whether or not it affects the 60" model. As for the official thread on here, I read it from start to finish. As I recall I think only 2 people mentioned their 60" model had very slight banding, which is why I wanted to make sure before going ahead with the purchase. But Thank you anyways for your response.
There are 56 posts in regards to banding in this thread. Just use search this thread function. The 70" model had many more posts. BTW, the 2015 65" W850C is shipping in two weeks.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/1513305-sony-2014-w600b-w800b-w850b.html

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
There are 56 posts in regards to banding in this thread. Just use search this thread function. The 70" model had many more posts. BTW, the 2015 65" W850C is shipping in two weeks.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/1513305-sony-2014-w600b-w800b-w850b.html
Yes, but what will the price be for the 2015 model? I can get the 60" for $1,500 (Australian) and probably even cheaper with some bargaining. Also do you think the 2015 model will have low input lag and be great for gaming in general too?

Edit: The 2015 W850C 1080p model doesn't look any different from the current W850B in terms of features, that and it will most likely cost over $2000 (here in Australia). I've asked on many other forums too and they say the 60" model isn't affected so I'll go with that one. Thanks for the heads up though, I appreciate it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts