AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I'm new to this forum and new to HDTV. This seems like a nice community you guys have here...I look forward to learning from all of you!

Here's my question:

I just bought a Sony 65" HDTV (KP-65WS500)

I hooked it up last night and I'm not satisfied with the picture quality. When watching cable, or DVDs (using S-video) the picture seems grainy, or blurry. It's hard to explain....it's just not real crisp. I expected the DVD to look brilliant, very crisp and clear and it doesn't. Something has got to be wrong. Sony couldn't get away with this poor of a picture quality for such an expensive TV.

Am I missing something here? Has anyone else had this problem? What can I do to improve the picture quality other than coponant video? I'm going to try the component video tonight, but it should look better than it does even with the S-Video.

Help me out guys...this has really got me down. Spending that much money on a TV and then not getting an impressive picture is depressing!

Thanks!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hang in there won,

TVs this big require a little bit of adjustment to get them to look their best.

Component video will help some as will turning down your sharpness and contrast.

But I think you may be in "standard" or "blind me with grainy, lack of color" mode". :)

Try using pro or movie mode by accessing your menu. Apart from that read lots here on making the most of your purchase. DVD from s-video should still look pretty good if the DVD is of good quality (there is some grain on DVDs).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

"But I think you may be in "standard" or "blind me with grainy, lack of color" mode".

Try using pro or movie mode by accessing your menu. Apart from that read lots here on making the most of your purchase. DVD from s-video should still look pretty good if the DVD is of good quality (there is some grain on DVDs)."

I changed the standard video mode to progressive and movie mode initially and didn't notice a difference. I'll try it again tonight.

After having another night to mess with it, it turns out that my XBOX looks GREAT on it...just as I would like everything to look! The PlayStation2, cable, and DVDs still look like crap. I tried the companent video plugs on the DVD player and they made NO difference. I don't know what the deal is.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.