AVS Forum banner

2481 - 2500 of 4894 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
For the record. The change log for firmware update PKG4.401AAA (released on 4/09/2014) is the following:

- Improves performance and stability of the Internet features

- Improves stability of the Screen Mirroring function

·
Registered
312 Posts
Looks like Amazon has sold out of the 65W850A!

·
Registered
848 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZzBloopzZ  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/2460#post_24596168

Looks like Amazon has sold out of the 65W850A!

They sure sold those 4-sets fast now their back to a 3rd party seller till they get more sets.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Here is a great article on what the different LED colors mean for this TV.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Back in February the French review site, "HD Fever", published a detailed review of the Sony KDL 65w855a. I believe this review was mentioned in an earlier post. I thought it would be helpful to include an excerpt from the article that discusses the contrast performance of this exceptional panel. Clearly the reviewer was very impressed and surprised by the contrast/black level of the 65w885a. Overall the review was quite positive. As a proud owner of this set I am enjoying some of the best picture an edge lit LED can provide.

Contrast, viewing angle and uniformity of the Panel

I'm not going to beat around the bush, once calibrated the TV, the contrast is just a demonic Edge LED. To be honest, I still can not believe it. It makes you wonder why Sony does not offer the same system on all televisions. Absolutely stunning, with a phenomenal black density, imperceptible in the dark bands! Judge for yourself by measuring the sequential contrast (that is to say a little black crosshair in the middle of the screen on white, with a bright peak set to 120 cd / m², I notice a black 0.001 cd / m² a 8000:1 contrast! This is not all, since the ANSI contrast is the only one that actually allows devalue the black in the image of a film, with a checkered pattern, I note in black 0.02 cd / m², 5000:1 ANSI contrast, is almost twice as much as the HX950 LED Full 2012! This is just a little less than the reference in terms of contrast that was the Sony HX920 with ANSI contrast 6000:1 on the 65 "and 8000:1 on the 55".

"This very powerful contrast with Edge LED provides many advantages over the Sony W905 or any other Edge LED ranges 2013. The picture is more dynamic, depth of field, embossed, pep, better homogeneity, short, almost as happiness
Almost, because I note, however, some problems of homogeneity as a vertical blooming which is particularly noticeable on the generic (no big deal), and subtitles (a bit trickier). Clearly, the black will remain very deep above and below a white logo on a black background, but each side of the logo you will notice a small trail with a more greyish black. This is due to made that the LEDs are positioned only on the two left / right side of the slab. Nothing major, rarely visible, but noted and it has the merit to prove that there has zoned by Local Dimming since this concern was due more to Full LED far contrast. It may be that the new, X-tended Range system present on the range 2014 Sony corrects this problem."

In case you want to read the full article you can find it in the link listed below. Keep in mind that that you will need to use Google Translator to obtain the English translation. The translation is a bit rough in spots, but overall you will get the gist of what the reviewer is saying. Happy reading

http://www.hdfever.fr/2014/02/26/test-sony-kdl-65w855a/

·
Registered
30 Posts
My tv came with one flick remote,but i can only turn the tv on and off,nothing else.I think im doin something wrong.

Other thing is.normally tvs have a pc hdmi.

Wich one is in this tv?

Does it have any benefit?

One thing i noticed is,with my previous tv i used dvi to hdmi and image ws much sharper.what settings you use?

·
Registered
848 Posts
Not much you can do with the small one flick remote. The delivery men picked up the 2 remotes you were using and then left you only the one. I would call your seller, I think Sony and ask them if they can send you the larger remote for his set or contact the delivery company about it being missing.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Question for some of you who use the Harmony remote:

I have programmed an activity which would turn on the TV, PVR (cable set top) and sound bar. Can I add another step to change the cable channel to a particular channel?

·
Registered
21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperJ123  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/2450_70#post_24587971

Hi, I just got this TV delivered to me yesterday, so far so good in terms of PQ, I still have a lot to go through though.

One feature I'm having difficulty finding clear info about is the streaming of your own video content through a DLNA server (your Windows computer) to the TV. Has anyone done this with this TV? If you have what software did you use? So far I've read about Serviio, PS3Media Server and XBMC but haven't read about anyone actually having a working setup. Has anyone tried this yet?

Thanks for any info!

I use PS3MediaServer. Make certain to use the BraviaW renderer. It supports the following codecs:
Code:
Code:
[CODE]# Supported video formats:
# Here we declare support (or lack) of DTS (here, none of the entries declare dts as a supported audio codec)
Supported = f:mpegps|mpegts   v:mpeg1|mpeg2|mp4|h264   a:ac3|lpcm|aac|mpa      m:video/mpeg

# No H264 for AVI files, plus specific mediainfo attributes, for better auto detection (qpel and gmc are not supported here)
Supported = f:avi|divx        v:mp4|divx|mjpeg         a:mp3|lpcm|mpa|ac3      m:video/x-divx     qpel:no    gmc:0
Supported = f:mkv             v:mp4|h264|divx          a:dts|ac3|aac|mpa|ogg   m:video/x-matroska
Supported = f:mov             v:mp4|h264|mjpeg         a:aac|ac3|mpa|lpcm      m:video/quicktime
Supported = f:mp4|m4v         v:mp4|h264               a:ac3|mpa               m:video/mp4
Supported = f:mp4|m4v         v:mp4|h264               a:aac                   m:video/mp4        n:2

# WMV files are supported, but not with 5.1 audio: (hence the n:2)
Supported = f:wmv             v:wmv|vc1                a:wma                   m:video/x-ms-wmv   n:2
[/CODE]

Anything else will need to be transcoded.

--JamesT

·
Registered
30 Posts
Wich hdmi port is labeled for pc?what settings you use?

Do you have to put like 1:1?ou single pixel.

Im asking this cause before i had the dvi cable connected to the tv and was much sharper and better colours i think.

I have the pc connected to my onkyo 608 then to the tv.

And my graphic card is amd hd6970.

So i have settings on the tv

Settings on xbmc

Settings on the graphic card.

Is there anything i have to do?

·
Registered
14 Posts

Ok. So receive the TV last week and last night watched the first 3d movie Gravity. I have a question for others that have seen Gravity 3D.  I bought the movie from Amazon. When I play the 3d disc, the menu is in 3d (play, chapters, etc) and the TV says it has detected 3d picture and I am ready to go. However, when I play the movie,  the TV says its 3d ( by pressing display on remote) but the movie itself is not. I know this since we were able to take off our 3d glasses and the movie looked normal. Not fuzzy like the menu with no glasses and not like any other 3d stuff I've seen before where if you don't have your glasses, it looks fuzzy. The entire movie was this. My family finally took their glasses off and while it looks good, it was certainly not 3d. Has anyone else experienced this with this set and this movie?   I just got Amazon to send me a replacement. What I think happened is that the studio recorded the 3d menu but when it came time to record the actual movie, they recorded a regular bluray format.

Any comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by memorex1  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/2490#post_24599323

Ok. So receive the TV last week and last night watched the first 3d movie Gravity. I have a question for others that have seen Gravity 3D.  I bought the movie from Amazon. When I play the 3d disc, the menu is in 3d (play, chapters, etc) and the TV says it has detected 3d picture and I am ready to go. However, when I play the movie,  the TV says its 3d ( by pressing display on remote) but the movie itself is not. I know this since we were able to take off our 3d glasses and the movie looked normal. Not fuzzy like the menu with no glasses and not like any other 3d stuff I've seen before where if you don't have your glasses, it looks fuzzy. The entire movie was this. My family finally took their glasses off and while it looks good, it was certainly not 3d. Has anyone else experienced this with this set and this movie?   I just got Amazon to send me a replacement. What I think happened is that the studio recorded the 3d menu but when it came time to record the actual movie, they recorded a regular bluray format.

Wow this is the first time I have heard of this. Its not your tv thats for sure. Its either your blu ray player or the disc itself. Again its not the tv. Maybe someone else can chime on here with more thoughts.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by memorex1  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/2490#post_24599323

I watched Gravity in 3D on my KDL-65W855A. I believe certain parts through out the film are in 3D but not all which may account for what you saw?

·
Registered
170 Posts
memorex1 - this may sound stupid, but is your Blu-Ray player 3D?

I watched Gravity in 3D and things looked like they came out of the screen sometimes - you could tell it was 3D. We watched Gravity in 2D before we got our TV and it looked a lot differant than it did in 3D.

If you didn't see one of the guys buzzing around in the beginning of the movie come out of the screen from the right and go across in front of you and then go back into the TV on the left - it wasn't in 3D.

·
Registered
89 Posts

Quote:

Gravity 3D Bluray is fine on my tv playing on a PS3. Here's a screenshot of my 3D settings. It's fuzzy because it is in 3D mode. Maybe that will help...

·
Registered
848 Posts

Quote:

Ok.

So I receive the TV last week and last night watched the first 3d movie Gravity. I have a question for others that have seen Gravity 3D.  I bought the movie from Amazon. When I play the 3d disc, the menu is in 3d (play, chapters, etc) and the TV says it has detected 3d picture and I am ready to go. However, when I play the movie, the TV says its 3d ( by pressing display on remote) but the movie itself is not.

I also bought the 3D movie Gravity from amazon. First when I opened the blu ray package I see 3 disk. Just behind the cover is the DVD version. On the right side were two disk, the bottom disk says, blu ray where the top one says 3D.

Now with the 3D disk playing each pair if the glasses has to be turned on by pressing the button on the nose-piece for a few seconds. Each pair should show on the TV screen as registered once each pair if first synced with the TV. Each pair of glasses should have a small light come on from the illuminated switch just above the nose piece about ever 5 seconds..

Anytime you loose your 3D picture from the TV or if you walked out of the room with the TV the glasses should auto shut-off. I have not confirmed this but have had it happen when looking away from the TV for maybe 15 seconds or so. Looking back at the screen you see the double vision picture a few seconds till the glasses sync again with the 3D signal from the TV.

So the night you had the 3D problems I would have looked at the others watching the movie to see if their glasses led indicator was blinking on each pair. This should tell you the TV is sending out a 3D sync signal to the glasses indicating their is a 3D movie on the screen.

It could be some factory mistake on the disk, I hope that's all it is. I hope the new 3D Gravity you get works ok.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I tried the settings from Sound and Vision and I myself prefer Whitesands.

I read that the LED lifespan is about 60,000 hours. The recommended setting is to crank Backlight and Picture up all the way to 100%. Will this somewhat shorten the lifespan, theoretically?

·
Registered
848 Posts
I found this in a LCD buying guide talking about the LCD TV screen.

They say nothing lasts forever—and neither do LCD televisions. The average lifespan of an LCD display is 60,000 hours. If watching TV was your full-time job, and you did it 24 hours a day, it would take you almost 7 years to wear out your LCD display. With more normal viewing habits of, say, 8 hours per day, you can extend the lifespan of your TV by a decade or more (to about 20 years)!

Here is another.

So how long does an LED TV last before it becomes unwatchable? Numbers vary depending on different manufacturer claims, but it is often estimated to be between 60,000 to 100,000 hours.

My thoughts are that with the improved local dimming the W850 has, should add a few more years to the TV's life. Vivid's backlight is set to max as Sony's default on this set. As long as mine last 6 or more years I will be checking out the new Sony sets years from now. WS

2481 - 2500 of 4894 Posts