AVS Forum banner

2601 - 2620 of 4894 Posts

·
Registered
2,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/2580#post_24619354

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/2580#post_24619200

I am with you WS. Never have I heard Amazon shipping out a new set in an open box, never. I aint calling ShaunSteel a liar by any means but it just sounds strange that Amazon would allow that to happen. That being said can I get a list of your settings buddy? I would love to take a look at them and maybe give them a try on my W9.

I'm almost sure the set was not sent out from a Amazon distribution center. Amazon has not had many of these sets in stock to sell lately. Amazon has been using two 3rd party Sony Authorized dealers to sell the sets instead. Looks like one 3rd party supplier may be in trouble for sending out this open boxed set by mistake. If Amazon knows about it they will not sell though that dealer again.

Yes I will be glad to send you all my settings including Cnets noise filters to off settings you can try later if you want.

Thanks WS I look forward to seeing them and trying them out.

·
Registered
218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadz  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/2580#post_24615421

Set speakers to audio system, you can find this on the options button. This will turn off the TV speakers and push the audio through the optical. You will only get up to dd5.1 not DTS though.

Thank you and Attila7, that worked perfectly and was exactly what I was looking for! It works for the online apps and USB drive. Still no pass through of 5.1 audio for connected HDMI sources (Directv) but I have the optical from those hooked up to my AVR directly anyway. Too bad the MLB app only outputs single channel DD 1.0

·
Registered
14 Posts

Has anyone ordered their set from Buydig.com? Mine is being shipped by Team Worldwide, but I don't know the actual local company that does the actual delivery. When tracked from Team Worldwide, it said "Out for Delivery" on 4-17. And right now it is 4-18 and no TV =(. I called and they said the freight driver was running late so they made me wait... and wait.... even though I've already set a delivery appointment.They've never update me on anything so I don't know where the TV's at right now because the freight department is closed. They made me waste a whole freakin' day when I could've went out to do some productive work for my wife and son if I had known that the TV won't be coming in.

Hopefully in the morning they'll deliver my TV at the schedule time frame that I've set for yesterday's.

·
Registered
42 Posts

There isn't a real "Sony 65W850a owners" thread I believe so I'd like to post some remarks & questions here.

First a question - did anybody hook this TV up to a VGA computer?  I got a VGA to HDMi convertor and the picture shows, but I can't select any resolution that makes the picture watchable.  I know quality would be low this way, but this is just to watch some European tv in America.  I am thinking about buying a graphics card with HDMi now.  Does anybody know if that works well?  This is an old PCIe 1 dell Optiflex 955...

Secondly, I have the TV for 4 days or so now, but although by moments the picture is excellent like during the Frozen blue ray, it doesn't always blow me away enough to make this a "super tv".  Somehow when watching soccer, the grass doesn't look very clear.  Like a green slab with no detail.  Also with the sports settings, the colors are way too strong.  I changed the settings to something I like, but find myself constantly adjusting back lighting, color and brightness.  The correct setting seems to change with every new shot or angle.

I think that the reds and everything reddish/purplish looks fantastic on this TV, but I am not convinced of the greens and blues.   Does anybody else feel like that?

And really weird, yesterday I watched Hells Kitchen and it was terrible.  It seemed that the show was recorded partly with HD cameras and partly with some cheap stuff.  The picture would go from very crisp to really grainy and the same kind of scene wasn't always displayed clear or grainy.  It seemed to just change randomly.  I never saw that before.

Lastly what I do notice is that the Depth of field shows very clearly on this TV, sometimes to the point of it being annoying...

So I really really really want to like this TV, but somewhere I am doubting that I would be better off returning it and getting the Sharp Q+ instead.  My old 52" Aquos always showed a great picture...

·
Registered
201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardBEL  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/2580#post_24621824

There isn't a real "Sony 65W850a owners" thread I believe so I'd like to post some remarks & questions here.

Did you try Whitesands settings? Also, there seems to be break-in period that the PQ gets better after 1-2 weeks.

I have been watching mostly cable TV and I, too, noticed that certain channels or programs looked better. I did not noticed this with my 6-year old 46Z4100. Maybe newer TVs are more suspectible to data source. This is certainly not a fault of the TV, the TV cannot improve badly recorded video signals. Luckily, PQ of most of my TV programs are great.

·
Registered
848 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardBEL  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/2580#post_24621824

First a question - did anybody hook this TV up to a VGA computer?  I got a VGA to HDMi convertor and the picture shows, but I can't select any resolution that makes the picture watchable.  I know quality would be low this way, but this is just to watch some European tv in America.  I am thinking about buying a graphics card with HDMi now.  Does anybody know if that works well?  This is an old PCIe 1 dell Optiflex 955...

Secondly, I have the TV for 4 days or so now, but although by moments the picture is excellent like during the Frozen blue ray, it doesn't always blow me away enough to make this a "super tv".  Somehow when watching soccer, the grass doesn't look very clear.  Like a green slab with no detail.  Also with the sports settings, the colors are way too strong.  I changed the settings to something I like, but find myself constantly adjusting back lighting, color and brightness.  The correct setting seems to change with every new shot or angle.

I think that the reds and everything reddish/purplish looks fantastic on this TV, but I am not convinced of the greens and blues.   Does anybody else feel like that?

And really weird, yesterday I watched Hells Kitchen and it was terrible.  It seemed that the show was recorded partly with HD cameras and partly with some cheap stuff.  The picture would go from very crisp to really grainy and the same kind of scene wasn't always displayed clear or grainy.  It seemed to just change randomly.  I never saw that before.

Lastly what I do notice is that the Depth of field shows very clearly on this TV, sometimes to the point of it being annoying...

So I really really really want to like this TV, but somewhere I am doubting that I would be better off returning it and getting the Sharp Q+ instead.  My old 52" Aquos always showed a great picture...

You mention the grass on one the field during a Soccer game you were watching don't look clear. Try pausing the picture on your cable box of DVR, then look at the grass or play it in slow motion. If the grass still don't look clear the problem is from the picture source and not with you TV.

You might try reading the 5-star customer reviews on the Amazon site for this set vs the Sharp Q+ set your interested in. Where I live it's a 80 mile drive to go see any of these better sets on display in El Paso. I have been using the Amazon customer reviews to choose my Sony sets now for 17 years.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I just saw Amazon.com is selling this TV for $2,999. Is this a mistake? I thought the price would drop once they introduced 2014 models.

·
Registered
848 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mis3  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/2580#post_24622550

I just saw Amazon.com is selling this TV for $2,999. Is this a mistake? I thought the price would drop once they introduced 2014 models.

Their showing the retail price at $2699. If you move the set to the Cart then the price is $2267 with their free shipping. The set still shows to be sold from a 3rd party Sony authorized dealer.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts

Quote:

Definitely get a graphics card an inexpensive fanless Sapphire HD 6450 $29.95 after mail in rebate will work fine set it at 1080p. Adjust the TV to pixel to pixel or 1:1 pixel mapping then any slight scaling adjustments ( if needed ) can be done within the AMD catalyst control + it will automatically upscale any DVD's you play in the PC really well also ( better than a lot of upscaling BD players ).

I have the Sapphire HD 6450 it puts out a pristine 1080p and upscales low res content pretty well . VGA to HDMi converters usually don't work well .
Download and Use the AMD catalyst software and drivers on this .The card card only uses about 14 watts so it will work fine with your stock PSU .Also it supports up to 3 monitors

·
Banned
5,008 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/2550#post_24612857

That being said we re-signed up for Netflix the other day and I noticed last night while watching some movies that they were being presented in Super HD. When did they start doing that? Looks great though I will say that.

Late 2013 I believe. 1080p Super HD can look pretty decent it's a higher bit rate than standard Netflix HD . SHD can vary in quality by the original content encode quality and net congestion between Netflix CDN's and ISP's (if your ISP does not have direct connect or a direct connection like Comcrap.) It's no match for Blue Ray though .

Reactions: steve1971

·
Registered
42 Posts

Thank you everybody that pitched in.  I will give WS's settings a good try.

I also got myself a 39.99$ GEFORCE 210 graphics card and computer picture quality is now very good considering the source.

I am growing to like this TV and one of the reasons is all you people passionate about this set.

Thank you all!

·
Registered
848 Posts
I decided to simplify my Custom settings.

Picture Mode - CUSTOM...7 settings below

Do the Reset here to put your settings back to default.

Backlight - Max

Picture - Max

Color - 60

Color Temperature - Neutral

Reality Creation - Auto

Motionflow - Standard

Cine Motion - Auto

·
Registered
848 Posts
Amazon is now showing the W850a set for $1998 sold though One Call.

The Sony site shows the W850 for $1999.99. Sony also shows the 2014, 65W950B for $2799.99 but also says it's 'currently not available'.

One would think, 'out of stock' would be ok and with the shipping date in just a few weeks on May 2nd.

·
Registered
86 Posts

Sony also showing price of $1998 for the 65w850a through their ad on ebay.  My guess is at certain point, Sony will unload a few back to OneCall like they did with the 65hx950 which incidentally is still priced at $2999.

·
Registered
312 Posts
The 65W850A is currently $1800 ($2000 + 10% off) via Sony EPP. Free shipping, plus add your local state tax.

If you have AAA, you can sign up for Sony EPP by using the code posted here . Then sign up to Sony EPP via here .

My second set is not showing any defects so I am going to keep this set which was purchased from Amazon for the now expired BuyDig pricematch of $1945.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks for the price heads up WhiteSands - purchased the TV from Crutchfield little under 2 weeks ago and called them up (also dropped to $1999 on their site, but out of stock) - 5 min phone call and they price matched - $300 savings - great way to start the week. 

·
Registered
14 Posts
I apologize if this has already been addressed, but how does the 850a compare to the 850b? I currently have a 70" Sharp EQ and I considering an exchange to either the 850a, 850 b or Sharp SQ

Reactions: WhiteSands

·
Registered
170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/2610#post_24626627

I decided to simplify my Custom settings.

Picture Mode - CUSTOM...7 settings below

Do the Reset here to put your settings back to default.

Backlight - Max

Picture - Max

Color - 60

Color Temperature - Neutral

Reality Creation - Auto

Motionflow - Standard

Cine Motion - Auto

Just tried your settings and they look great!

Thanks for the heads up............

2601 - 2620 of 4894 Posts