AVS Forum banner

3021 - 3040 of 4894 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just ordered this TV and I can't wait to receive it. I'm upgrading from a 5 years old 52W4100.

WhiteSands, can you please PM me your settings? Thank you so much in advance and also for all the info and great screenshots

·
Registered
455 Posts
Finally got to input WhiteSands settings (thanks!) and do some casual watching (cable & Netflix) over the weekend. I'm super impressed so far. Blows away the 55" SXRD it replaced except for the anemic flat panel sound, which was cured by running it through my older Denon 3806. Previously we had been watching TV through the TV's internal speakers and Netflix, and other sources through the Denon/Monitor Audio/SVS system. Overall we are extremely pleased, especially for the price (with EPP)

·
Registered
455 Posts
If anyone is on the fence, use code SLICKDEALSW850A at checkout to knock the proce down to 1799. With EPP 1599. I tried calling to get an adjustment to my order from 2 weeks ago and Sony was unwilling to do so. I'll try to do so again later after work.

·
Registered
455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos38  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3000#post_24711485

Do you need some code?

AAA membership, or work for a company that has a relationship with Sony and offers the program. I had signed up after seeing it on our employee intranet.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Just when I thought this set's sales was going downhill. Today I got seven more request for my settings. Most say their set recently arrived or will in a few days. The request today are from, hwan_td and slimdim185 from yesterday's forums. Others by PM were, sladams221, Stoneguy, TheGr1z, kincade and JonSmith.

Evidently this set is selling very well but for how long who knows for sure.

·
Registered
201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3000#post_24712769

Just when I thought this set's sales was going downhill. Today I got seven more request for my settings. Most say their set recently arrived or will in a few days. The request today are from, hwan_td and slimdim185 from yesterday's forums. Others by PM were, sladams221, Stoneguy, TheGr1z, kincade and JonSmith.

Can you please send me your settings again? I noticed your modified (or simplified) your settings a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3000#post_24712769

Believe it or not WS the W9 and 850 are still selling very very well for Sony and I aint surprised with the release of the new Sony sets of 2014. All these requests are sure keeping you busy though buddy.

·
Registered
109 Posts

Quote:

Seems like this set is still one of the best on the market...I am currently shopping for a new TV and stumbled across this thread.

I was looking at the Samsung 60F8000 or 60H7150 but now am a little torn on my choice, maybe someone can help sway me?? Quick run down of my setup and needs; Seating distance is between 10-15 feet depending on which couch...the ideal seating position straight onto the TV is 15 feet. I will be using it for everything, we are moving the old 52" Samsung LCD upstairs and this TV will be the new "media room" tv. so PS4, media PC, HD cable, bluray, netflix, etc. Is in a basement which does have decent natural lighting but still darker than your average main level room.

I was originally almost set on picking up the Samsung H7150 but the more I look into things to more questions I have, is the 65W850a comparable or better (can get it on Amazon right now for $2098) or what other options should I be looking at in this price/spec requirement range? I saw the new Sony seems to be a step down compared to the w850A? Is the 240hz vs 120hz even a factor?? How is the 3D not that that is really a factor for me

Overall PQ is most important

Much like some other people I do not have a lot of options locally to actually "see" these TV's

·
Registered
170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mis3  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3000#post_24712967

Can you please send me your settings again? I noticed your modified (or simplified) your settings a few weeks ago.

Paging WhiteSands to the white courtesy phone!

You're one popular person on here Bert.

·
Registered
1 Posts

WhiteSands, thanks for all the information and screen shots you included in this thread.

I decided to bite the bullet and purchase this TV.  Can you please send me you settings?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I finally decided to pick up this set this morning after having read through the thread over the past week. The discount information on the previous page only made the deal that much sweeter.

While I wait to get my hands on this thing, and at your convenience, would you please send me your settings WhiteSands? I greatly appreciate it!

·
Registered
848 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCandler  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3030#post_24713165

Seems like this set is still one of the best on the market...I am currently shopping for a new TV and stumbled across this thread.

I was looking at the Samsung 60F8000 or 60H7150 but now am a little torn on my choice, maybe someone can help sway me?? Quick run down of my setup and needs; Seating distance is between 10-15 feet depending on which couch...the ideal seating position straight onto the TV is 15 feet. I will be using it for everything, we are moving the old 52" Samsung LCD upstairs and this TV will be the new "media room" tv. so PS4, media PC, HD cable, bluray, netflix, etc. Is in a basement which does have decent natural lighting but still darker than your average main level room.

I was originally almost set on picking up the Samsung H7150 but the more I look into things to more questions I have, is the 65W850a comparable or better (can get it on Amazon right now for $2098) or what other options should I be looking at in this price/spec requirement range? I saw the new Sony seems to be a step down compared to the w850A? Is the 240hz vs 120hz even a factor?? How is the 3D not that that is really a factor for me

Overall PQ is most important

Much like some other people I do not have a lot of options locally to actually "see" these TV's

Have you read these customer reviews on this W850a set from this Amazon web page. On the Amazon site the two Samsung sets you mention are 4 and 3 1/2 stars in comparison. I'm sure it's Sony's Triluminos display that gives this set a 5-star picture quality.

Don't worry about the 120hz vs the 240hz set. I have read in the past the difference is not even noticeable. Many over look where Sony say's, Experience precise motion clarity with Motionflow XR 480. It's a circuit built into the fast pro-processor that ups the speed of the motionflow to eliminate any motion blur. I watched a lot of pro football during the season and the 7 months I have owned my set I don't see any problems during the games.

WS

·
Registered
848 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3030#post_24713490

I wonder how this set will compare to the new 65w950b which has Passive 3d. The specs look almost identical on Sony's web site.

Evidently you haven't seen the bad reviews the W950b set got not long ago by a professional French TV reviewer.

Talking 3D this W850a set has the very best 3D ever. I owned a panasonic plasma set before buying this this new Sony set. The panasonic plasma was not bright enough for a 3D movie. With this Sony set you have plenty of brightness if you want when watching a 3D movie. Their is a single adjustment I include in my settings that brightens the picture just enough to make the colors look as good as when watching a blu ray movie in the Vivid mode. I no longer see that 3D greenish tint or low picture brightness anymore like when at the theater.

When I first got my new Sony set 7 months ago I could not wait to put in my Avatar 3D movie I already had. I had never seen any 3D that looked this good as this set has. The picture pop action is very good, including the colors are plenty bright with a sharp clear realistic picture. I have bought 4 or 5 other 3D movies since then and have thoroughly enjoyed them.

This TV is based off of Sony's X850a which is the 4k version of this 1080p set. That's why this is the first set ever to have a fast 2.2 ghz quad processor which is made up with the reality, motionflow and color enhancement circuits. Sony was smart enough to put all that into one single integrated circuit to save money and they passed this savings onto their customers.

This set uses ultra bright LED's and is known to have the brightest picture ever for the 2013 sets. The factory settings do adjust down the brightness to a very pleasing picture quality. This set also includes a S-PVA panel known for it's deep blacks. Then Sony adds a Triluminos filter which adds the brilliant colors and then this set has a really outstanding picture to enjoy.

I hope this information helps with your decision for a new TV.

·
Registered
109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3030#post_24714698

Have you read these customer reviews on this W850a set from this Amazon web page. On the Amazon site the two Samsung sets you mention are 4 and 3 1/2 stars in comparison. I'm sure it's Sony's Triluminos display that gives this set a 5-star picture quality.

Don't worry about the 120hz vs the 240hz set. I have read in the past the difference is not even noticeable. Many over look where Sony say's, Experience precise motion clarity with Motionflow XR 480. It's a circuit built into the fast pro-processor that ups the speed of the motionflow to eliminate any motion blur. I watched a lot of pro football during the season and the 7 months I have owned my set I don't see any problems during the games.

WS

I have read nearly every review on the set which makes it seem like a no brainer to buy it, the only reason I was looking so hard at the Samsung units is because I have had such great success in the past with Samsung TV's. At the end of the day for the price and PQ this seems like the set to go with.

Gotta make sure the wife agrees but I think I will be ordering this tomorrow.

3021 - 3040 of 4894 Posts