AVS Forum banner

3101 - 3120 of 4894 Posts

·
Registered
2,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by acermen1212  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3090#post_24727557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneguy  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3060#post_24722608

I don't know if a later build date makes a difference. Updated firmware maybe? Hardware should be the same. I updated my firmware same day I received the TV. No problem.

With my experience the more recent build dates are better. I experienced Sept, Oct, Nov and now finally March 2014. The March date was replaced by directly by Sony and what a difference . The picture is so much better, The sharpness, blacks and color. The crescents are extremely minimal along with the banding. This is the way it should be.

I agree acermen1212. I had my original W900 with a build date of Sept or Oct of 2013 and colors and Black level ect were excellent but when I got my new W9 with a build date of Jan 2014 the Black level, sharpness and colors were much much better. Don't ask me why but they just were and a side by side comparison showed it not only to me but my wife as well. I am thinking as production went along they corrected some minor things and tweaked some things to make the newer W9 models better and I am thinking they did the same with the W850A. That's just my view anyway and I could be wrong.

·
Registered
848 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3090#post_24727825

I agree acermen1212. I had my original W900 with a build date of Sept or Oct of 2013 and colors and Black level ect were excellent but when I got my new W9 with a build date of Jan 2014 the Black level, sharpness and colors were much much better. Don't ask me why but they just were and a side by side comparison showed it not only to me but my wife as well. I am thinking as production went along they corrected some minor things and tweaked some things to make the newer W9 models better and I am thinking they did the same with the W850A. That's just my view anyway and I could be wrong.

Just curious if your first W900a set had all it's updates when you compared it to the new W900a you bought.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSands  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3090#post_24728300

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3090#post_24727825

Just curious if your first W900a set had all it's updates when you compared it to the new W900a you bought.

Yep WS it had all the current updates when I did the side by side comparison to my new Jan/2014 W9.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
I'm a little disappointed that I have not received any shipping/tracking information yet. I was told by Sony that the set would ship last Thursday and be delivered next week. I hope they don't pull up in front of my house on Monday and I'm not here. Maybe somebody can answer this question. Why, when Sony dropped the 70R550a, did they not simply replace it with a 70" version of the 850a? It would seem to have better specs and a better screen then the 550a replacement 70w850b and the newest 70w950.

·
Registered
480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3090#post_24729643

I'm a little disappointed that I have not received any shipping/tracking information yet. I was told by Sony that the set would ship last Thursday and be delivered next week. I hope they don't pull up in front of my house on Monday and I'm not here. Maybe somebody can answer this question. Why, when Sony dropped the 70R550a, did they not simply replace it with a 70" version of the 850a? It would seem to have better specs and a better screen then the 550a replacement 70w850b and the newest 70w950.

Did Sony get the 65 and 70 inch panels from different sources?

I've seen a lot of complaints about the uniformity issues on the 70 inch panels in the form of radial bands an what not. I'm specifically referring to the w850b. That is why I chose this set as that type of uniformity issues are more mild on this set.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Thanks to this forum, I now have a button in my Logitech remote to cycle through Picture Mode. This is great for me because I watch mostly cable TV and depending on the program/channel, I will toggle between Standard and Custom (Whitesands).

One minor setback was I had to remove my DVD in my device list. My Harmony-700 has a limit of 6 devices. i searched and searched but could not find a Harmony-One locally in Toronto. I am not sure I like the new Ultimate One, too fewer buttons.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I too have the Harmony One remote and like it so much more than the new Ultimate One. I agree the Ultimate has too few buttons and they push the use of your smartphone to use to control your AV system. My brother's Harmony One was damaged by his dog so he was forced to get a new one. He found a nice one on e-bay that was practically new. You may want to check e-bay to get a Harmony One. With that line being discontinue your best chance is finding one on e-bay.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yesterday we tried out the 3d with a YouTube 3D clip. Wow is the 3d incredible! We also watched "despicable me" this afternoon and it was the best PQ I've EVER SEEN! Animated movies are where this set really shines. The sharp crisp detail, the black levels, the colors all looked amazing!!! My blu ray play player & surround receiver are not 3d compatible. I'm hoping to upgrade those in the next year. I'm still amazed that like I mentioned in an earlier post I'm pretty much using the default standard picture settings with some minor changes even after running a lot of the tests on the WOW disc. It's almost like Sony professionally calibrated the TV on that setting.

·
Registered
848 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarshonarbangla  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3090#post_24731460

How long do the batteries last on the 3D glasses of this TV?

The little tag on the back side of my Sony glasses shows, model BT400A that uses a CR2025 battery. The battery is replaced by removing the two very tiny screws on either side of the tag.

To remove the 'battery holder' use your thumbnail to lift up the groove just above the tag. You can buy these batteries from Walmart from their Jewelry department battery display.

I used a small low priced Jewelers 6-piece screwdriver set for the screws. The smallest common head screwdriver worked although these are phillips screws.

I found this from Sony:

The battery power will last for up to 100 hours of viewing. The LED light on the glasses will flash three times every three seconds to indicate that the battery is weak and should be replaced...

Amazon shows the BT500A as same as BT400A glasses.

You can clean these 3D glasses without damage by using a soft cloth partially wet using distilled water. Use the wet area to clean any smudge then gently rub gently with the dry part to dry. I read where other members have used a few drops of liquid dishwasher detergent and water in a squirt bottle. They say, it works great and caused no damage.

·
Registered
848 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezjp  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3090#post_24731671

Yesterday we tried out the 3d with a YouTube 3D clip. Wow is the 3d incredible! We also watched "despicable me" this afternoon and it was the best PQ I've EVER SEEN! Animated movies are where this set really shines. The sharp crisp detail, the black levels, the colors all looked amazing!!! My blu ray play player & surround receiver are not 3d compatible. I'm hoping to upgrade those in the next year. I'm still amazed that like I mentioned in an earlier post I'm pretty much using the default standard picture settings with some minor changes even after running a lot of the tests on the WOW disc. It's almost like Sony professionally calibrated the TV on that setting.

I will agree with your statement about this TV being like a professional calibrated TV from the factory. I wanted to point out when watching 3D content or movies the set uses separate 3D picture-modes. Usually you will see something like 3D-Vivd or 3D-Standard. My choice is 3D-Vivid to compensate for the glasses darkness and then you have great looking colors and picture quality. This set also amazed me in 3D as the picture quality looks many times better than any 3D I ever saw at the theaters.

In my settings you will find a single '3D glasses brightness' setting. I set that to High to improve the 3D picture.

·
Registered
480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mis3  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3090#post_24729949

Thanks to this forum, I now have a button in my Logitech remote to cycle through Picture Mode. This is great for me because I watch mostly cable TV and depending on the program/channel, I will toggle between Standard and Custom (Whitesands).

One minor setback was I had to remove my DVD in my device list. My Harmony-700 has a limit of 6 devices. i searched and searched but could not find a Harmony-One locally in Toronto. I am not sure I like the new Ultimate One, too fewer buttons.

If I may ask, ho do you get it to cycle through picture modes on the harmony remote?

·
Registered
201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by guvadc  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3090#post_24731737

If I may ask, ho do you get it to cycle through picture modes on the harmony remote?

Please read post 3007 on Page 101.

I have assigned the blue key for picture mode.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I'm not a 3D buff or expert , and I'm finally starting to see what all the fuss is about with how good it is. I have an OPPO 93 Blu-ray player and was having problems with 3D. Apparently there is a bug that will insert a frame every 10 seconds ( or something like that ) when viewing 3D if you have the wireless adapter hooked up...WTF. Now that I have that sorted out the 3D looks much better on that player. I also got view some 3D Netflix stuff from my PS3 and was amazed by how good it looked. One gripe I have is that this model TV does not support 3D content from Netflix. I like using my TV apps for steaming stuff as it's more convenient. Any word on if this TV will support that in the future?

In regards to Crosstalk, is this something that is source dependent as well as how good the device is in minimizing it? From what I understand , only passive 3d eliminates it entirely , is this right?

·
Registered
84 Posts
My local frys electronics had this tv for $1499 here in Houston. I was about to return the one that I just bought at Best Buy to get the one at Frys because I bought it for $2000. I was so ecstatic. However, the catch was that the one at frys is the demo tv. I don't want to buy any use electronics especially the ones at the store because they use it almost 24/7 for whomever knows. Also the one that I bought at Best Buy was manufacture on April 2014.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by guvadc  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3090#post_24732315

I'm not a 3D buff or expert , and I'm finally starting to see what all the fuss is about with how good it is. I have an OPPO 93 Blu-ray player and was having problems with 3D. Apparently there is a bug that will insert a frame every 10 seconds ( or something like that ) when viewing 3D if you have the wireless adapter hooked up...WTF. Now that I have that sorted out the 3D looks much better on that player. I also got view some 3D Netflix stuff from my PS3 and was amazed by how good it looked. One gripe I have is that this model TV does not support 3D content from Netflix. I like using my TV apps for steaming stuff as it's more convenient. Any word on if this TV will support that in the future?

In regards to Crosstalk, is this something that is source dependent as well as how good the device is in minimizing it? From what I understand , only passive 3d eliminates it entirely , is this right?

The W850A does not support Netflix 3D? WTF????

·
Registered
848 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyz  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3090#post_24734311

My local frys electronics had this tv for $1499 here in Houston. I was about to return the one that I just bought at Best Buy to get the one at Frys because I bought it for $2000. I was so ecstatic. However, the catch was that the one at frys is the demo tv. I don't want to buy any use electronics especially the ones at the store because they use it almost 24/7 for whomever knows. Also the one that I bought at Best Buy was manufacture on April 2014.

This reminds me of a 65" Toshiba 65HT2U on display in Walmart for over a year. This was the 4" thick model that the energy sticker read $47 operating cost. No doubt the circuitry was outdated not to mention it's 99 pound weight. I think the price was originally around $1498, defiantly not a smart TV. Walmart somehow lost the yellow energy tag and lowered the price about a few hundred dollars and some poor soul bought the TV. I would have sure liked to have seen the total hours on that set. We shop a lot at walmart for groceries and naturally I head back to the TV department looking for new sets and their picture quality. I will say that Toshiba had about as good of picture when that set was new as when it sold a year later. No doubt it was well broke in with it running day and night for that long.

Walmart changed their policy a year ago when that set sold. Just coincidence, but they now will sell sets more often taken from their displays. They also do not stock as many boxed up new sets as they did before. This keeps the sets fresh and with the newer models numbers up on display.

3101 - 3120 of 4894 Posts