AVS Forum banner

3141 - 3160 of 4894 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax-Franko  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3120#post_24741713

Are your stuck pixels working now?

I did not run the script yet. I did not see any dead pixel in my w850a. Well, I did not look for it.

My older TV, 46Z4100, does have a few.

·
Registered
170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mis3  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3120#post_24741768

I did not run the script yet. I did not see any dead pixel in my w850a. Well, I did not look for it.

My older TV, 46Z4100, does have a few.

Give it a try on your older TV and let us know if it helped. I have a Disney WOW disk that I was going to use to calibrate my TV, but WhiteSands settings were so good I never felt I needed to use the WOW disk.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Hello everyone. I picked up this TV last night. It looks great out the box but I can't wait to get it looking it's best.

WhiteSands I would absolutely love a copy of your settings if you could send them, they appear to be very popular.

Thanks in advance.  

·
Registered
170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVtalk  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3120#post_24743232

Hello everyone. I picked up this TV last night. It looks great out the box but I can't wait to get it looking it's best.

WhiteSands I would absolutely love a copy of your settings if you could send them, they appear to be very popular.

Thanks in advance.  

WhiteSands' settings are very popular - and make our great TV look even better.

Have you done any of the upgrades from Sony yet? You can do them manually if you have wifi where your TV is.

Good Luck - and enjoy your TV.........

·
Registered
79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax-Franko  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3120#post_24740266

When I bought mine there was a blueish clear tape cover over that area - I just pulled it off and threw it away and my remote works flawlessly.
Thanks I found it and removed the blue sticker.

·
Registered
170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVtalk  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3120#post_24743278

I've plugged it in and turned it on only. I'm on page 2 here now. What upgrades?
Grab your remote and hit the home button - then scroll down to settings - then scroll all the way to the right for Product Support - and then scroll down to Software Update and follow the instructions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezjp  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3120#post_24743422

Thanks I found it and removed the blue sticker.

You're welcome - I had mine on for a week until I found out it was there.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Spent the last 2+ hours trying to get the Wi-Fi set up on this thing. Time and time again it wouldn't work. I was getting so frustrated. Well I figured it out, check this out.

First my network is set as follows

No SSID broadcast - So I had to manually configure to show it

WPA2

Wireless MAC filter set to permit the following

When you first go into the network settings of TV to get the MAC address it shows the wired MAC

When you enable Wi-Fi and start to configure the connection it shows the wireless MAC (BUT IT WAS WRONG!)

I knew my SSID + WPA was right cause my network showed on the scan screen with strong signal after I put in the info, note the signal strength was blank on the verify connection page but full on the scan. Not to mention I verified it like I don't know 20 times. It just wouldn't connect to anything. The only thing after SSID & WPA is MAC filtering. I went into my router and turned off the filtering, boom it connected. Once it was connected I went to the DHCP client listing under the status, local network page and could see the name of TV and the real MAC address, which was only 1 character off. I copied that and added it to the mac filter and re-enabled it and it works fine now.

I've only see this with one other item. If memory serves it was a Sony Bluray player.

Oh and once it connected, the verify connection screen updated and showed the correct MAC address for the TV.

I saw some Wi-Fi connection issues in here, try this and let us know if it worked for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts

WhiteSands,

Thanks for the settings, I see why everyone likes them, pretty awesome. I went ahead and did them all including the noise reduction suggestions. Picture is amazing.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Hello!

I just got this TV the other day and have some questions for other owners.

1) I notice some definite minor ghosting when watching 3D movies.  For example it is clearly apparent in Avatar on the subtitles that come up when they are speaking the other language.  You can see it on the picture at various times, too (pretty often if you're looking for it).  I've watched 3D movies on a 73" DLP and never noticed such ghosting there (but did notice other annoyances).  I don't know if I just didn't notice it on that set, or if it actually wasn't there.  I am wondering if it is this normal for this TV, and if there's any way to get rid of it?  It's not terrible, and I'd still rate the 3D as being overall good, but it would certainly be better without the ghosting.

2) When I turn the volume all the way down and go close to the TV, I hear a sort of pulsating static sound coming from behind the TV at the lower right hand (when looking from front) corner.  Is that normal?  Does anyone else notice that?  I can't hear it unless I'm close to the TV with the volume down/off, so it's not causing me any problem, I'm more just curious why it is occurring.

Overall, I like the TV a lot so far.  I will mention that this is the first time that I've ever seen the soap opera effect while watching movies on blu-ray.  None of my prior TVs did motion interpolation.  The motion is very smooth, though.  I haven't tried turning Motionflow off yet, but will probably leave it on anyway for the higher frame rate, and see if I get used to it.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
848 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Televaiozn  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3150#post_24746350

Hello!

Your the first new member that hasn't requested my settings in a good while. I think if you put in my settings these problems would go away.

I will sent them to you anyway.

About the audio sound with the volume turned down. They were some others mentioned this many months ago. I forget now what they found. This could be a slow spinning fan cooling the 2.2 ghz quad processor. The circuit board with the processor is the same as where all the inputs plug into it which would be the lower right side looking at the back of the TV, or left speaker side. I never notice or listen for it, I watch TV with the volume set to where I can hear it.

I use the Cnet's 5-steps for a better picture. I include these in my settings. These settings are to turn off the rarely used 5 noise filters in this set. One of these settings gets rid of the soap opera effect you were seeing.

I have no idea why you would have any problems with ghosting when watching a 3D movie. Others here I don't recall having that problem. In my settings I do set all the 3 main picture-modes, motionflow settings to standard. I found this is the sweet-spot when watching fast paced pro-football games. Some use true-cinema, smooth or motionflow off settings.

A good point is to check your cable box or satellite receiver to make sure it's set to 1080p to match your new TV. You might try another HDMI cable on your 3D player to your TV and see if that helps get rid of the ghosting. I don't know of any 3D settings on the player that would help.

Try my settings and see if that helps.

WS

·
Registered
6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempestGuy  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/720#post_24237142

That's me in the video.  I posted a thread about it here that got no replies, then found people talking about it over here! :)  http://www.avsforum.com/t/1512422/ticking-from-speakers-sony-kdl-65w850a#post_24229404

It seems to me that you shouldn't get noise from the speakers even without an input if it's designed well - it should just turn them off in that case.  But regardless, input, no input, it makes no difference.  Even with the TV audio set to use an external system, which should definitely turn the speakers off.  The sound does vary seemingly randomly though, so sometimes you can only hear it if you really mash your ear up against the speaker, and other times it's clearly audible on the other side of a quiet room.

I have contacted Sony and they said they were unaware of any problem, but would check with the techs and get back to me next week.  Maybe if the rest of you having the same issue call as well it will increase the priority.  It seems fairly likely that the TV's power supply is throwing off noise that the speakers are picking up, so the real fix would probably involve a design change in the power supply.  Hopefully something as simple as swapping out some filter caps.

Does everyone get this sound to some extent if you put your ear right up against the speaker?  Or is it only some of us?  If the latter, I'm going to hang onto the TV and let Sony repair or replace it.  If all models have this though, I may return it to Future Shop while I still can and look for something else.  It's no problem when it's quiet, but the problem is I have no idea how often it's going to be at the more annoying level, and it would drive me crazy during quiet scenes in movies and that kind of thing.  On the other hand, the picture quality is great and I would hate to take this one back only to end up with a poor panel.  Argh why can't everything just work? ;)

Hi there!

I watched your video, and I have noticed the identical "clicking" noise (as you call it--I describe it as a pulsating static sound) with my new same model TV.  Mine was made in Mexico with a manufactured date of April 2014.  I have not connected it to the internet or done any updates yet.  What did you end up doing?  Did you ever find a resolution to it?  I will say that it is rather quiet, and so far I have only noticed it when I'm very close to the TV and have the volume off.  Otherwise I don't notice it.  I'll try checking for firmware updates tomorrow to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Televaiozn  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3150#post_24746350

Hello!

1) I notice some definite minor ghosting when watching 3D movies.  For example it is clearly apparent in Avatar on the subtitles that come up when they are speaking the other language.  You can see it on the picture at various times, too (pretty often if you're looking for it).  I've watched 3D movies on a 73" DLP and never noticed such ghosting there (but did notice other annoyances).  I don't know if I just didn't notice it on that set, or if it actually wasn't there.  I am wondering if it is this normal for this TV, and if there's any way to get rid of it?  It's not terrible, and I'd still rate the 3D as being overall good, but it would certainly be better without the ghosting.

2) When I turn the volume all the way down and go close to the TV, I hear a sort of pulsating static sound coming from behind the TV at the lower right hand (when looking from front) corner.  Is that normal?  Does anyone else notice that?  I can't hear it unless I'm close to the TV with the volume down/off, so it's not causing me any problem, I'm more just curious why it is occurring.

Overall, I like the TV a lot so far.  I will mention that this is the first time that I've ever seen the soap opera effect while watching movies on blu-ray.  None of my prior TVs did motion interpolation.  The motion is very smooth, though.  I haven't tried turning Motionflow off yet, but will probably leave it on anyway for the higher frame rate, and see if I get used to it.

Thanks for any help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Televaiozn  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3150#post_24746501

Hi there!

I watched your video, and I have noticed the identical "clicking" noise (as you call it--I describe it as a pulsating static sound) with my new same model TV.  Mine was made in Mexico with a manufactured date of April 2014.  I have not connected it to the internet or done any updates yet.  What did you end up doing?  Did you ever find a resolution to it?  I will say that it is rather quiet, and so far I have only noticed it when I'm very close to the TV and have the volume off.  Otherwise I don't notice it.  I'll try checking for firmware updates tomorrow to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks!
Hey.  First off, the sound is definitely not a fan, as some have speculated.  It's electronic interference on the audio output of the TV.  Unfortunately this means that turning off the speakers (setting an external audio system, muting them, whatever) has no effect.  I believed a while back that a firmware update had fixed the problem, but unfortunately it returned soon after, so I assume that was a coincidence.  At this point I'm still undecided as far as how I want to proceed.  The TV is under warranty until January, so I'm basically just monitoring how often the sound is noticeable/annoying at this point to decide whether it's worth the hassle of exchanging it, and of possibly getting a set with other problems.  Most likely I will exchange before the end of the warranty period though.

·
Registered
848 Posts
With the sound turned down my set don't have this sound your talking about. I do recommend any testing to be done with a signal applied. I did the test this time with and without a video source and my speakers are dead quite on both bottom sides. I have done all 7 updates since receiving my set back in early October last year.

The fan I mentioned was in my panasonic plasma set. This Sony set has a good sized indented air vent area over the pro processor circuit board in the back cover for cooling.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Thanks, TempestGuy!  I will contact Sony about it as well, so that they know that this problem is continuing to occur, and will reference your video.  :)  Thanks, WhiteSands, for confirming that it's doesn't happen on all sets.

·
Registered
4 Posts

I just made the plunge and ordered the w850a and I should be getting it tomorrow.

WhiteSands, can you send me your special settings that some have been referring to?

Some have mentioned that the Cinema picture mode is pretty accurate. Also, whats the best way to setup the picture (short of buying a Spyder or having a pro calibrate the set)? Anyone recommend a DVD or a youtube link?

Can't wait to get my hands on the set!

·
Registered
170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalizm  /t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/3150#post_24747599

I just made the plunge and ordered the w850a and I should be getting it tomorrow.

WhiteSands, can you send me your special settings that some have been referring to?

Some have mentioned that the Cinema picture mode is pretty accurate. Also, whats the best way to setup the picture (short of buying a Spyder or having a pro calibrate the set)? Anyone recommend a DVD or a youtube link?

Can't wait to get my hands on the set!
Try WhiteSands settings before you buy a calibration disk - you may feel you won't need one.

3141 - 3160 of 4894 Posts