AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 2686 Posts

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Crap I should have waited I just picked up the Samsung unit maybe I should return?

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Crap I should have waited I just picked up the Samsung unit maybe I should return?
This one says it does dts-hd so that is awesome. I am very tempted on this one.
I'm actually gonna return it. I'm within my return window with Best Buy. I like the Samsung but there are some firmware issues. So I may as well look into the Sony when it comes out I have nothing to lose lol

·
Registered
206 Posts
This is very VERY tempting.

I have the Sony 79X900B, which I'm not interested in upgrading for a couple more years now (purely whilst HDR, OLED, HDMI get better and better).

The sound on the 79X900B set is very good for a TV combined with the wireless subwoofer (SWF BR100), but I've always missed a surround setup since I bought my current apartment, where the living area just isn't suitable for a surround sound setup.

This looks like a great solution, would actually just fit on my 1200m wide centre media unit (have 2 slightly taller units bookending the middle one).

The sub though, is a bit large, I'm assuming that could go anywhere though right, within the same room?

Hoping this is a reasonable price. This might fend off my constant looking at 2017 OLED sets...

·
Registered
242 Posts
I really wonder how well this will perform and cost! I currently have a 5.1 system and need to upgrade my receiver. I may just go this route!

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
They say the best spot for a sub woofer is to the left of the tv in the front off to the side, but I guess it can go on the right? I have the Samsung Atmos sound bar works well but it's 500 watts vs Sonys 800watts I'm gonna return it and wait for this come out. It should sound real good the upfiring drivers really work to get the Dolby Atmos experience!

·
UHD Addict
38,355 Posts
I really wonder how well this will perform and cost! I currently have a 5.1 system and need to upgrade my receiver. I may just go this route!
I'm guessing it will be priced between $1300 $1600. At least based on their past history with speaker bar prices.

I would love to pick this up. But if it's priced close to $1600. That's getting near the price I paid for my low end HDR set in 2015. Which is too much for me.

Reactions: vulsker

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'm guessing it will be priced between $1300 $1600. At least based on their past history with speaker bar prices.

I would love to pick this up. But if it's priced close to $1600. That's getting near the price I paid for my low end HDR set in 2015. Which is too much for me.

Yeah at that point I would rather just upgrade my receiver and stick with my 5.1 setup. $1600 I could buy a larger tv! lol

Reactions: SuperFist

·
Registered
354 Posts
There is one feature that makes this soundbar a no-go for me, lack of a subwoofer out. I have a very nice HSU subwoofer in my family room that I use for music along with HSU speakers. This subwoofer has two inputs so I can use it in conjunction with a soundbar in the same space to compliment my new LG OLED TV.

The new Pioneer soundbar announced at CES has a sub out while the Sony does not

·
Registered
206 Posts
Bit of a bizarre question. Having finally worked out how to integrate this with with my setup, as very keen on Atmos and surround sound without rear speakers in my flat.

Using sodding Omnigraffle to work out what to connect to what, I then started looking at sub placement, and didn't want it placed outside my unit (currently the Sony SWF-BR100 is hidden in the unit).

Anyway, to get it in the unit, I'd want to place the subwoofer on its side, would that work/be ok?

My setup:
  • Sony 79X900B TV
  • Sony MDR-HW700DS HDMI Headphones (non HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2)
  • QUICK6r HDMI switch (non HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2)
  • Xbox One S
  • Fire TV
  • NVIDIA SHIELD
  • Mac mini
  • Apple TV
  • Panasonic DMP-UB900

·
Registered
6 Posts
There is one feature that makes this soundbar a no-go for me, lack of a subwoofer out. I have a very nice HSU subwoofer in my family room that I use for music along with HSU speakers. This subwoofer has two inputs so I can use it in conjunction with a soundbar in the same space to compliment my new LG OLED TV.

The new Pioneer soundbar announced at CES has a sub out while the Sony does not
I'm with you on this one. I also would need a subwoofer out for this to be a good sell. Nice on the OLED TV!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Would subwoofer placement behind the seating area with this sound bar be an issue?

For best sound with the Son,y the sub will need to be placed at the front. Either at the left or right side of the soundbar. The Sony sub has a high crossover point and the sub will sound localized if you place it behind your seating area. Placed proper, and the sub blends seamlessly with the soundbar

·
Registered
354 Posts
It is too bad the sub has a high crossover point, makes placement options limited. A lower crossover and the sub could be placed nearly anywhere

What is the crossover point?

·
Registered
206 Posts
For best sound with the Son,y the sub will need to be placed at the front. Either at the left or right side of the soundbar. The Sony sub has a high crossover point and the sub will sound localized if you place it behind your seating area. Placed proper, and the sub blends seamlessly with the soundbar
Thanks west, how about on its side?

1 - 20 of 2686 Posts