AVS Forum banner

2441 - 2460 of 2522 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does anyone experience any popping noises from the main unit most probably caused by thermal expansion? For me it takes usually from 1h-2h before this stops, when the unit has "heated up" properly on moderate to loud volume levels. It's quite annoying sometimes..

I guess there's nothing to do about this, and all manufactures probably see these kind of issues as normal behavior which it is to a certain degree.. Just makes you think that if I just got the next unit after this one from the retailer, maybe it didn't exhibit this issue.. :rolleyes:

e: Actually it can take much longer time depending on the volume levels. So for instance if I have the volume at 15 for the first hour or two, and then crank up the volume to 25-30, these sounds may appear still within the next 1h-2h or so..

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Installed new firmware. Stability with the sub since installing this new firmware has been rock solid since. I have always had trouble with this sound bar system. Reason being it has never played nice with tri band routers. It never played nice with my Linksys EA9500 v1.1 router. And even with my newest router Linksys Velop MX5300 WiFi 6 router. Until now. Irritated Sony did not fix this years ago. But, glad they finally did address the issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Installed new firmware. Stability with the sub since installing this new firmware has been rock solid since. I have always had trouble with this sound bar system. Reason being it has never played nice with tri band routers. It never played nice with my Linksys EA9500 v1.1 router. And even with my newest router Linksys Velop MX5300 WiFi 6 router. Until now. Irritated Sony did not fix this years ago. But, glad they finally did address the issue.

@KoRn - This is really good to hear! Just to be clear, has the new firmware completely fixed the popping issues with your mesh WiFi router? I had to replace my Orbi because of this issue and hope I can use it again 🤞

Would love to hear more on this specific issue from other users too.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
@KoRn - This is really good to hear! Just to be clear, has the new firmware completely fixed the popping issues with your mesh WiFi router? I had to replace my Orbi because of this issue and hope I can use it again 🤞

Would love to hear more on this specific issue from other users too.
Funny you mention that and come to think about it. The minor pops every so often have gone away as well. At least in my case.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Smooth sailing on my end since the update.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've had my soundbar for over 2 years and it's working better than ever with the exception of one recurring issue--every few weeks (sometimes every few days) when I turn it on I get a "perform easy setup?" notification and I have to go through the initial setup all over again, which includes reconnecting to wifi. I have no idea why my unit keeps resetting itself like this. Anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
201 Posts
I too have had occasional connection issue with the subwoofer. I just did the firmware upgrade and hope this would fix it.

I use a nVidia Shield Pro 2019 for online streaming. I am watching a Dolby Atmos 4K demo video and when I click Display on the remote, I see “LPCM 480 KHz / Dolby Surround” on the front panel display of the soundbar. Is this right? Should I see “Dolby Atmos”?

My configuration:
Shield connected to TV HDMI
Cable-TV connected to TV HDMI
TV connected to the soundbar via HDMI-3
Soundbar eARC enabled

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Just a little update since installing the new update a few days ago. Almost has been a week now. It has not dropped or cut out once since then. Looks like Sony fixed it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I too have had occasional connection issue with the subwoofer. I just did the firmware upgrade and hope this would fix it.

I use a nVidia Shield Pro 2019 for online streaming. I am watching a Dolby Atmos 4K demo video and when I click Display on the remote, I see “LPCM 480 KHz / Dolby Surround” on the front panel display of the soundbar. Is this right? Should I see “Dolby Atmos”?

My configuration:
Shield connected to TV HDMI
Cable-TV connected to TV HDMI
Soundbar eARC enabled
You should see "Dolby Atmos" if it is an Atmos video while the video is playing. However, if you pause the video and click on display it will revert back to "LPCM 480 KHz/Dolby Surround". This threw me off for a long time as well!

·
Registered
201 Posts
You should see "Dolby Atmos" if it is an Atmos video while the video is playing. However, if you pause the video and click on display it will revert back to "LPCM 480 KHz/Dolby Surround". This threw me off for a long time as well!
I did not see “Dolby Atmos” even when the video was playing.
The demo clips of YouTube are true Dolby Atmos, right?
I stream from the nVidia Shield Pro and the HDMI cable is the one which came with the Sony soundbar.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Damn, when i saw there is an update i was secretly hoping it would be about adding rear speakers support ^^
Still, good that they addressed the sub connectivity issues. I wasn't much affected about them but many have.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone else have this issue where I'll wake the Apple TV, thus turning on the TV and sound bar. The TV opens on the Apple TV homepage, only to then switch to the sound bar's home page after about 10~15 seconds?

Quite annoying as I'd have to then press the Apple TV button on the remote to switch it back to the Apple TV again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, I have the same lag problem with the Apple TV. Also, when I shut down the soundbar says "Shutting Down" for a very long time before turning off.

Question for the group, is there a setting to turn on the display feature? I cannot get mine to display Atmos, or bitrate data at all. It will only show volume and input selected.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Do you have the latest firmware installed? Because it worked like that on the early ones.

·
Registered
413 Posts
@TheSonyExperience - Could you please elaborate on that? Specifically, were you having issues with a mesh Wi-Fi system before the update?
I don't use a mesh Wi-Fi system at home. But I did have subwoofer drop outs often. I still get them after the update but they are a lot less often.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I performed the firmware upgrade last week and the subwoofer connection has been stable so far (via Secure Link).

I was checking the sound bar settings yesterday and I noticed that the HDMI Signal Format screen is now blank (System Settings -> HDMI Settings -> HDMI Signal Formal). I used to select the signal format here to HDMl and HDMI Enhanced for each HDMI connection. Now I see only only the title HDMI Signal Format on top and nothing else (it used to list all the HDMI ports). Do you guys experience this?

Other than this, all seems OK. The sound from TV was getting through to the sound bar properly.

My configuration:
Sony X950G
Sony St5000
Shield connected to TV HDM2
Cable-TV connected to TV HDMI4
Soundbar eARC enabled

2441 - 2460 of 2522 Posts