AVS Forum banner

2681 - 2686 of 2686 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine just died after just two years... It hurts to pay $700/year to subscribe to a speaker that dies after just two years. I called Sony and they said 1) It's probably the mainboard. 2) Your $#!+ outta luck. 3) Call United Radio (which I did... they would charge $100 just to look at it and ship it back... no telling how much to actually repair it). My old Vizio soundbar has worked for a decade and still works to this day. I think I've learned my lesson.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mine just died after just two years... It hurts to pay $700/year to subscribe to a speaker that dies after just two years. I called Sony and they said 1) It's probably the mainboard. 2) Your $#!+ outta luck. 3) Call United Radio (which I did... they would charge $100 just to look at it and ship it back... no telling how much to actually repair it). My old Vizio soundbar has worked for a decade and still works to this day. I think I've learned my lesson.
Can you order just the mainboard and replace it yourself? Maybe a dealer on the forum can get you the part for less money?

I'm still very happy with the soundbar. Just which it would not forget it's settings every month. Might have to contact Sony about that.

·
Premium Member
3,464 Posts
Does anyone looking for one of these used? I've been trying to offload my HTST5000 with no luck.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Have you tried the classified?

·
Registered
14 Posts
A9G and HT-ST5000 - can optical out and HDMI (out) work at the same time?

I have HDMI out to the soundbar and optical out to a hearing aid transmitter. The optical out works only when the soundbar is powered off. I thought there might be an audio out on the soundbar but cannot find one. I need the hearing aid transmitter but want the soundbar. Is it possible?

Update 05/13 - progress:

I read that using headphones from the TV will disable other audio out. The same applies to using the HDMI eARC/ARC port.

My eleven year old, recently deceased, BOSE soundbar did have an optical audio out to my hearing aid transmitter and I was surprised not to find one on the much newer Sony soundbar.

The hearing aid transmitter does have a L & R audio in. That doesn't help in this case because the only analog out seems to be the headphone port which does disable other TV audio out.

The hearing aid transmitter also has an optical out. I moved the TV HDMI cable from the soundbar eARC/ARC input to a non-eARC/ARC input on the soundbar. I connected the TV optical out to the hearing aid transmitter optical in and connected its optical out to the soundbar optical in.

So, the TV is set to output audio to a sound system. In my case, that is the optical out to a hearing aid transmitter which then passes the audio to the soundbar's optical in.

I guess I lose some audio capabilities (audio formats?) by not having the audio signal carried on that HDMI 2.2 cable. Is that correct? Or, is the optical in of the soundbar delivering that same data for the soundbar to process?

2681 - 2686 of 2686 Posts