AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 2686 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
My setup:
  • Sony 79X900B TV
  • Sony MDR-HW700DS HDMI Headphones (non HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2)
Nice headphones! I've been trying to figure out how to use headphones with many Soundbars. Mine are just audio jack in and out, but yours I bet work well!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
206 Posts
Nice headphones! I've been trying to figure out how to use headphones with many Soundbars. Mine are just audio jack in and out, but yours I bet work well!

Thanks, they are really good, easy to use, and great for night time viewing.
I've ended up deciding that HDMI audio ARC will go to the headphones.

And then I'll rely on HDMI ARC to get audio from anything plugged into the HT-ST5000.

HT-ST5000 will just have to go into a secondary HDMI input in the TV, so won't be recognised as a Audio System so no TV audio from broadcast TV).

Fortunately I have a Quick 6r which can output sound to the HT-ST5000 via an optical cable.

All in all it's a mess where I've had to produce a diagram just to work it out. Luckily I have a Logitech Harmony remote so can program any weirdness.

I have no plans on upgrading my TV or the headphones or the switch though, as HDMI 2.0 is still a mess in terms of support.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I'm guessing it will be priced between $1300 $1600. At least based on their past history with speaker bar prices.

I would love to pick this up. But if it's priced close to $1600. That's getting near the price I paid for my low end HDR set in 2015. Which is too much for me.

B&H appears to the first US retailer to list this soundbar into their system - it's priced at $1698. I don't think I'm suppose to post direct retailer links but you can find it on their site. Expected availability is listed as end of May 2016 - not sure if that mean if the soundbar won't actually be out until May or it could be released anytime between now and May.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Super interested in this soundbar especially after all positive reviews at CES.

·
UHD Addict
38,356 Posts
B&H appears to the first US retailer to list this soundbar into their system - it's priced at $1698. I don't think I'm suppose to post direct retailer links but you can find it on their site. Expected availability is listed as end of May 2016 - not sure if that mean if the soundbar won't actually be out until May or it could be released anytime between now and May.
:eek: WoW!! Even higher than I expected.

For that much it should also handle DTS:X. But from what I read it only handles Dolby Atmos Object Oriented audio.

·
UHD Addict
38,356 Posts
I thought I heard in the CES review that DTS:X was coming?
That would be great. And would make more sense. I would love to get this speaker Bar. But it would need to be a much lower price for me to bite.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I thought I heard in the CES review that DTS:X was coming?
Yes have read it's getting dtsX too. If reviews are positive think I'll get one..once the price drops to around 1,000 or lower.

·
UHD Addict
38,356 Posts
how can this cost more than the Samsung 950 Atmos soundbar, which has wireless surrounds? dtsX doesn't justify the extra premium
Well since it's a Sony SOundbar, it also deals with more audio formats. The Samsung can't even handle 5.1 DTS, let alone 7.1 DTS-HD MA. Even my Sony speaker bar from 2012 could handle all the advanced audio formats up to 7.1.

And my 2008 Sony speaker bar could handle 7.1 PCM. The Samsung can't handle that either.(based on Crutchfield info)

Reactions: hsinnott

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well since it's a Sony SOundbar, it also deals with more audio formats. The Samsung can't even handle 5.1 DTS, let alone 7.1 DTS-HD MA. Even my Sony speaker bar from 2012 could handle all the advanced audio formats up to 7.1.

And my 2008 Sony speaker bar could handle 7.1 PCM. The Samsung can't handle that either.(based on Crutchfield info)
I think we should look at the official specifications from the Sony HT-ST5000 and they don't say anything about DTS 5.1, DTS-HD or DTS:X support. I also emaild Sony about this and they don't confirm that this soundbar does support DTS.

Audio:
DOLBY®
Dolby® ATMOS, Dolby® TrueHD, Dolby® Digital+, Dolby® Digital, Dolby® Dual Mono

·
Registered
811 Posts
how can this cost more than the Samsung 950 Atmos soundbar, which has wireless surrounds? dtsX doesn't justify the extra premium
...almost certainly better sounding, oh and fingers crossed, won't have the disconnect problem with the sub that the Samsung does (as well as with it's rear spks).
And it will hopefully support dts-X.

·
UHD Addict
38,356 Posts
I think we should look at the official specifications from the Sony HT-ST5000 and they don't say anything about DTS 5.1, DTS-HD or DTS:X support. I also emaild Sony about this and they don't confirm that this soundbar does support DTS.

Audio:
DOLBY®
Dolby® ATMOS, Dolby® TrueHD, Dolby® Digital+, Dolby® Digital, Dolby® Dual Mono
That would be a first for a Sony sound bar. Since they have handled DTS since 2008 or earlier. And have handled all of the advanced audio formats since at least 2012.

But if for some reason it can't handle DTS(Like if DOlby paid them to drop DTS?), it would make the SOny Atmos bar worthless. Just like the Samsung soundbar is worthless. Since most disc tracks use a DTS advanced audio codec. Not a Dolby Digital Advanced audio format. And I would see no point in using a soundbar that can't handle the majority audio format used on Blu-ray Discs.

EDIT: And I certainly hope the specs are not correct. It only shows 96k/24 bit PCM. My 2012 and 2015 Sony Speaker bars handled up to 7.1, 192Khz PCM audio. That would be a huge step backwards to only handle 96Khz pcm audio.

Hopefully the manual for the ST5000 shows up on the UK or US SOny site soon.

Reactions: hsinnott

·
Registered
348 Posts
That would be a first for a Sony sound bar. Since they have handled DTS since 2008 or earlier. And have handled all of the advanced audio formats since at least 2012.

But if for some reason it can't handle DTS(Like if DOlby paid them to drop DTS?), it would make the SOny Atmos bar worthless. Just like the Samsung soundbar is worthless. Since most disc tracks use a DTS advanced audio codec. Not a Dolby Digital Advanced audio format. And I would see no point in using a soundbar that can't handle the majority audio format used on Blu-ray Discs.

EDIT: And I certainly hope the specs are not correct. It only shows 96k/24 bit PCM. My 2012 and 2015 Sony Speaker bars handled up to 7.1, 192Khz PCM audio. That would be a huge step backwards to only handle 96Khz pcm audio.

Hopefully the manual for the ST5000 shows up on the UK or US SOny site soon.
Yea I highly doubt it won't handle DTS it would be incredibly dumb to make such a premium Atmos soundbar and leave out so much.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
160 Posts
Showing on B&H for $1,498.00 USD. Expected end of May, 2017. Spendy for a soundbar. For those that don't have the space for a true surround system, or wish to have one for other reasons, it seems to be the option with the most up-to-date features. It just better be able to handle all the Hi-Res audio formats and DTS formats including DTS:X when launched.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Showing on B&H for $1,498.00 USD. Expected end of May, 2017. Spendy for a soundbar. For those that don't have the space for a true surround system, or wish to have one for other reasons, it seems to be the option with the most up-to-date features. It just better be able to handle all the Hi-Res audio formats and DTS formats including DTS:X when launched.
It's a lot more than I should spend on an upgrade to my YSP-2200, but as long as it supports the HD audio formats it'll be worth it. It'll be the only Atmos bar that can handle every type of audio thrown at it while being able to passthrough 4K and HDR.

Though, it would mean that I end up spending more on a soundbar than my TV. I guess that's a little ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Though, it would mean that I end up spending more on a soundbar than my TV. I guess that's a little ridiculous.
That is easily fixed. Upgrade time!

I think it is a lot but it is new. Perhaps we will see new devices drop costs. I wish I knew if this would work in my room.

21 - 40 of 2686 Posts