AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sony is showing twitter and jaggies alot now that I'm noticing it. Maybe I'm being to picky, but in highly detailed scenes with fine diag. details like powerlines in the background I am seeing flashing. In some other items I see slight jaggies along solid diag. lines like the roof of a house that is a bit distant in the scene.

Also I see some moire effect on the roofs of houses in certain movies. All this is only in progressive mode. If I turn progressive off it goes away a little bit probably because My TV has a better chip then the player.

Am I going to notice this in the Sage non "B" serial numbered RP62? or should I just live with it cause I don't have more then $150 or so for a new high end player.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hello,

I started with a 715 and changed to a XP30. the Sony was never disappointing to my eyes, but it did have the chroma bug and once I saw it ...it was all over. However, I will go on record as saying the Sony PQ was very good and I believe on most sets I would have been hard pressed to see any PQ difference real time while watching a movie.

You will find that the now hard to find RP-82, the XP30and XP50 all have a better MPEG decoder than the RP-62. You can pick up a XP30 for around $179. If you have a digital set think about the new Bravo DVD player with DVI out. It will better PQ than almost anytrhing out there. See threads on this site. I believe they are going for $200. But they look lousy on component , so if you don't have a DVI TV stick with a Panasonic XP series.

Mark

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I switch my 715 to interlaced and let my HDTV do the line doubling the problems go away, but I lose the benefit of progressive or do I?

I wonder if I really need a progressive player or if the TV does a better job..Do you think the XP30 will make a difference since it seems my TV has a decent deinterlacer?

By the way my TV is a Toshiba 50H82

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
it's only a benefit if you notice a positive difference.

what do your eyes tell you?

that said, i wasn't impressed 2 years ago when i was making my way thru various prog scan players trying to find the one that would mate the best with my new Sony rp.

to my suprise, i hated the sony players for PQ (although i thought they sounded great).

i've had little ot no complaints with my panasonic ( i just wished i'd picked up a rp82 or xp30 during their short shelf lives).

the panny definitely has the least problematical picture i see, but i may end up picking up another Malata.

the 520 i have is just a hair weaker than the panny on deinterlacing, but it more than makes up for it in regards to features, speed, and the i feel the audio is noticably better too for some reason.

and its a region free PAL-NTSC conversion player to boot.

a great value for under $300, imo

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.