Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Best Buy and CompUSA have them for $20.

Staples online has them for $20 too. Not sure about B&M.

Taiyo Yuden?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I bought a Sony 8X 50 pack DVD-R at BB last week for $20 and one again today for $20. They sure work well with my Toshiba XS34. Hard to beat the price for high quality DVD-R.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Both CompUSA(2 stores) and BestBuy(6th ave) here have the Sony 50pk ($19.99) with all -R made in Taiwan. Across the street from BB, Staples has same 50pk except all -R made in Japan and a nickle cheaper! ($19.94). All 3 have +R from Japan.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Only Staples and Circuit City are near me. They are not on sale at CC, but I took Staples flier with me. CC price matches then gives an additional 10% off the difference (about $1.40 additional off).

·
Registered
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildv
Both CompUSA(2 stores) and BestBuy(6th ave) here have the Sony 50pk ($19.99) with all -R made in Taiwan. Across the street from BB, Staples has same 50pk except all -R made in Japan and a nickle cheaper! ($19.94). All 3 have +R from Japan.
The two Sony 50 packs that I mentioned above and bought from Best Buy were made in Japan. What is the deal between Japan vs Taiwan made DVDs? Are the Taiwan disks inferior? In what way? When I bought these I didn't know that there was a difference in where they were made. Clue me in.

Ken

·
Registered
675 Posts
rcflyer: Sony Taiwan and Japan media are rated equally high. There's a web site that rates DVD media and both made in Taiwan and Japan Sony (-R/-RW, I don't pay attention to +) are in the top category.

I would post a URL for the site, but I am unable to set it as a favorite (and I can't easily lay my hands on the paper I wrote it on).

·
Registered
600 Posts
Walmart Canada has them for the same price.

No complaints from anyone as far as I have read.

·
Registered
675 Posts
rcflyer: Yes, I shall. Then maybe you or someone else can figure out how to save it as a favorite and post your solution here.

I'll look later this evening.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildv
Across the street from BB, Staples has same 50pk except all -R made in Japan and a nickle cheaper! ($19.94).
can you tell me which Staples?

I'm looking for some made-in-Japan -R

thanks!

·
Registered
675 Posts
rcflyer: Here it is:

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

The list starts at the third, blue heading.

nyc10036: I bought made in Japan Sony DVD-Rs at CC (in PA) earlier this week. They price matched Staples + 10% of the price difference. Staples only had made in Taiwan -Rs, but I would have bought the Staples ones if CC was out of stock.

·
Registered
159 Posts
ngohit, very interesting. I will be reading all of the report.

To save to favorites (Windows ME), display URL, click favorites on top line, click ADD to Favorites, click the folder you want to put it in, click OK. Have you tried it this way?

Thanks

·
Registered
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngohit
nyc10036: I bought made in Japan Sony DVD-Rs at CC (in PA) earlier this week. They price matched Staples + 10% of the price difference. Staples only had made in Taiwan -Rs, but I would have bought the Staples ones if CC was out of stock.
thanks

I just realized that the sale ends today so I'm out of luck :(

the thing was I was in Staples this week and I didn't see any specials

sign with the DVD-R because I looked

but my Staples only had the made-in-Taiwan discs, so I suppose it doesn't matter

to be honest, I've never seen the made-in-Japan Sony discs because I always look if I happen to be in the stores

·
Registered
675 Posts
rcflyer: Thanks. I didn't originally do it that way. I tried to add it via a right click of my mouse. That doesn't work (but your tip did).

nyc10036: Sony DVDs go on sale about once a month at either BB, CC, Staples, or one of the other office supply chains. Check the fliers in your local Sunday paper. If one store has them on sale and another, closer to you does not, just take the flier with you and either get a price match or additional 10% off (of the price difference).

·
Registered
93 Posts
nyc 10036 - It's the Staples on 6th ave btw 22nd & 23rd. Also saw (A few weeks ago) sony/japan at union square east @15th st store. Sorry if you missed sale.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.