AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for information on the motion settings for the Sony 950H. Most posts I have seen talk about settings based on the old firmware. I purchased my tv over the holidays and it has the new update.

I understand the Clearness setting is the Black Frame Insertion and Smoothness interpolates objects and motion between frames. I have found a 2 on Smoothness and 1 on Clearness works pretty good for most things. However, watching some things can sometimes have some weird frames glitches.

Any information people have on how the settings motion work would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I also on my 950h get good results with smoothness=1 or 2 and clearness=1.
I found for a very few titles on youtube tv I got jumpy frames until I turned off cinemotion, so try changing that on vs off when you have a title with frame glitching,

·
Registered
8,117 Posts
Motion is personal. What works for you might not work for others. Also some are motion sensitive and others are not. So best is to play with settings till you find something that works for you..which starts by checking out all settings and look which have impact on motion.. Stuff like BFI is likely mixed with Motion Interpolation up until the highest setting. BFI puts black frames inbetween frames, Motion Interpolation creates fake frames inbetween real frames.

LCD and OLED use Sample & Hold which has a motion resolution of 300 lines. In general there is fast moving content like sports which most is in need motion improvement, movies on which advise it to turn all motion improvement options off and then there is everything in between.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ll pay more attention to the convention next time I’m having frames jumps.
I guess I am a little more sensitive to motion than the rest of my family. We had a TCL which I returned and then bought the 950H. Out of the box seems to have better motion in general.

What about watching 24fps content on the internal apps which run 60 fps. Anyone have suggestions on those settings?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I’ll pay more attention to the convention next time I’m having frames jumps.
I guess I am a little more sensitive to motion than the rest of my family. We had a TCL which I returned and then bought the 950H. Out of the box seems to have better motion in general.

What about watching 24fps content on the internal apps which run 60 fps. Anyone have suggestions on those settings?
With native apps and 24p content, with all motionflow and cinemotion settings set to off, there should be 3:2 pulldown judder. If you set Motionflow to Custom, Clearness and Smoothness to Min, and Cinemotion to Auto, you should get rid of 3:2 pulldown judder. I don't like this look. Something is wrong (at least on my x900H). The judder is gone but something else unnatural looking is happening (not SOE but almost like a weird distortion to my eyes).

What I have found to be best for me personally (and I am sensitive to motion and SOE) is setting Motionflow to Custom, Smoothness to 2, and Clearness to 1(for HDR I set to 0) and leave Cinemotion off. This to my eyes gives the most natural motion but no soap opera effect. That's on my x900H so for the x950 it might be different and it will most likely be different for your eyes.

I strongly suggest leaving Cinemotion off if you can because not only does it do weird things to 24p content (at least to my eyes) it has issues with 25p content to where it will start skipping frames.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With native apps and 24p content, with all motionflow and cinemotion settings set to off, there should be 3:2 pulldown judder. If you set Motionflow to Custom, Clearness and Smoothness to Min, and Cinemotion to Auto, you should get rid of 3:2 pulldown judder. I don't like this look. Something is wrong (at least on my x900H). The judder is gone but something else unnatural looking is happening (not SOE but almost like a weird distortion to my eyes).

What I have found to be best for me personally (and I am sensitive to motion and SOE) is setting Motionflow to Custom, Smoothness to 2, and Clearness to 1(for HDR I set to 0) and leave Cinemotion off. This to my eyes gives the most natural motion but no soap opera effect. That's on my x900H so for the x950 it might be different and it will most likely be different for your eyes.

I strongly suggest leaving Cinemotion off if you can because not only does it do weird things to 24p content (at least to my eyes) it has issues with 25p content to where it will start skipping frames.
Very good, thank you I’ll try that

·
Registered
721 Posts

Yes I use the same motion settings on my 49X950H and getting good results.
Clearness at minimum (0) for HDR, 1 for SDR for the smart BFI effect that doesn't noticeably reduce brightness.
Cinemotion off works well for me too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, I tested settings on a Dolby Vision movie and found that for this panning scene using Smoothness 3 and Clearness to 1 worked for the scene. The rest of the movie was fine with smoothness at 2. I am going to check again with Cinemotion on/off

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ok, I tested settings on a Dolby Vision movie and found that for this panning scene using Smoothness 3 and Clearness to 1 worked for the scene. The rest of the movie was fine with smoothness at 2. I am going to check again with Cinemotion on/off
I don't worry if it is just one scene that falls apart, I'll take the occasional juddery/stuttery mess over SOE any day of the week. I personally can't find one setting that works for everything. I was watching something on Tubi last night and I had to crank Smoothness all the way up to 3 which would be noticeable SOE on any other content. I'm not sure what the streaming services do to the movies/shows they stream but each one seems to do something different. My significant other is going to hide the remote from me because I mess with motion settings way too much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't worry if it is just one scene that falls apart, I'll take the occasional juddery/stuttery mess over SOE any day of the week. I personally can't find one setting that works for everything. I was watching something on Tubi last night and I had to crank Smoothness all the way up to 3 which would be noticeable SOE on any other content. I'm not sure what the streaming services do to the movies/shows they stream but each one seems to do something different. My significant other is going to hide the remote from me because I mess with motion settings way too much.
Same here, my SO does not appreciate me changing settings during a show. Having said that I made some mental notes and when I see issues and I went back and rewatched those scenes changing various settings. For this particular Dolby vision movie I found 2 smoothness and Cinemotion On made a decent combo. A three smoothness really made it perfect and for some reason didn’t introduce SOE. If I use those settings watching a TV show it would be super bad. I left the settings like that for Dolby Vision to see how it fares on the next movie.
To your point different sources and shows look vastly different with the same settings. I’ll play around more and try to slowly get the majority of the streaming apps to good settings.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts