AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased the Sony 999 which replaces my Sony 7000. But I noticed that the pause during the layer switching is about 2 seconds vs. the half second of the 7000. I am interested in comments from other 999 owners, before I start looking into exchanging the otherwise great machine

·
Registered
285 Posts
I noticed the layer change taking a bit longer than my old Toshiba. It's not a big deal to me. I'd have liked it to be faster but I don't think it was quite 2 seconds. Maybe up to a second and a half or so. It varies. It's just the laser resetting. It's not broke or anything.

I also had a S-7000 and it was not as fast as my Toshiba either. I would say it was slightly faster than my 999, though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The layer switch delay is noticable on all my dual layer discs where they didn't place a switch during a fade. Tested other 999es at my local Good Guys. All the same (unfortunately). And while it may not be broke, it does bug me more than it should. I would have hoped that the delay would be shorter on a newer machine, but alas. Did check out the Denon 3800 and was surprises to see no, none, nada of a delay. Need to research this machine as an exchange canidate. Seeing as I don't have any $ invested in SACD (other than the Stones, which are hybrid anyway) the DVD audio vs SACD won't play into the descision.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
bogies4,

Your observation on the 3800 is what I experience on mine. I've had it about 4 months and I've never seen a layer change and since it's my first ever DVD player, I guess I don't even know what a layer change looks like. ;)

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Yes, be very careful of the Denon 3800. I gave up on it due to all the freezing problems many users have experienced with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.