AVS Forum banner

4461 - 4480 of 7884 Posts

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
My clicking A1E seems to have stopped at least for now. Really weird. I cut the power to it and let it sit for a good thirty minutes. The clicking came back, but this time it took fifteen minutes or so to click instead of six. Then I watched it for an hour and it seems like it’s gone. Hopefully...
Never heard any clicks from my set yet.

·
Registered
553 Posts
LOL. LOL is the nicest thing I can say, and you claiming to be a serious videophile is more of a joke than you bragging about audioquest cables in your sig. That's all I am going to say on this subject because this isnt a cable thread.
I agreed with the Vodka cable post, from experience in the matter..

2 people agree on the ability to see something... theres much more impressive gear in my sig than Audioquest cables.. enjoy your A1E.
All this negativity from these people is killing me. I said quite obviously that I was a non-believer in HDMI quality. I was 100% sold on if it?s to spec it,s the spec. I?ve always been a believer of high-end balanced audio cables and other cables that will lower the noise floor of speakers and amplifiers. However when it came to HDMI I just couldn?t do it. So I said **** it, Let me see what the difference a $450 10% silver cable can make and I am blown away...... Why do some people feel the need to pass judgment on that, it?s asinine. If you don?t believe me, Just go buy the cable try, it out and return it and get your money back. You could even put it on a credit card and then return it before it?s charged. However be prepared there will be a difference, a very noticeable difference.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
My clicking A1E seems to have stopped at least for now. Really weird. I cut the power to it and let it sit for a good thirty minutes. The clicking came back, but this time it took fifteen minutes or so to click instead of six. Then I watched it for an hour and it seems like it’s gone. Hopefully...
Reading your posts was thinking that I've been lucky with my set, haven't had any issues, then a few minutes ago it suddenly rebooted. Hopefully just an Android TV quirk and nothing more serious.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Any word on this auto dimming issue added in the last update? I'd love to know if anyone has gotten any info from Sony? Doesn't seem right that they should be allowed to add a "feature" that negatively affects the picture we've all be used to having, that we all paid for.
I'd really like to know this as well. This is a maddening issue and quite frankly, I'm angry that I've paid $3500 for a television that dims whenever it wants to. Yes, I'm an owner of the 65" A1E but can't find where to put it on my sig. If anyone has had any success in fixing what Sony apparently broke with the DV update, please share.

·
Banned
2,491 Posts
LOL. LOL is the nicest thing I can say, and you claiming to be a serious videophile is more of a joke than you bragging about audioquest cables in your sig. That's all I am going to say on this subject because this isnt a cable thread.

2 people agree on the ability to see something... theres much more impressive gear in my sig than Audioquest cables.. enjoy your A1E.
All this negativity from these people is killing me. I said quite obviously that I was a non-believer in HDMI quality. I was 100% sold on if its to spec its the spec. Ive always been a believer of high-end balanced audio cables and other cables that will lower the noise floor speakers and amplifiers. However when it came to HDMI I just couldnt do it. So I said **** it, Let me see what the difference of $450 cable or make and I am blown away...... Why do some people feel the pass judgment on that, its asinine. If you they believe me, Just go by the cable try it out and return it and get your money back. You could even put it on a credit card and then return it before its charged. However be prepared there will be a difference a very noticeable difference.
Thats a great point, if someone was willing to try it, its a try that can be returned if not happy with it... see it first and then offer a rebuttal.

Ive realized many of the debates were pre-HDR and 4K UHD.. and there, for 1080p stuff, sure no argument..

For the full image fidelity 4K UHD and even what ATV Dolby Vision delivers.. theres a noticeable difference on this UHD content with a low jitter cable.

The color pop, cleaner low black level and sharper fidelity, due to cleaner data clocking from low jitter operation.

Just a suggestion for those looking to feed their A1E a gift in 2018.

Reactions: DVnt

·
Registered
553 Posts

All this negativity from these people is killing me. I said quite obviously that I was a non-believer in HDMI quality. I was 100% sold on if its to spec its the spec. Ive always been a believer of high-end balanced audio cables and other cables that will lower the noise floor speakers and amplifiers. However when it came to HDMI I just couldnt do it. So I said **** it, Let me see what the difference of $450 cable or make and I am blown away...... Why do some people feel the pass judgment on that, its asinine. If you they believe me, Just go by the cable try it out and return it and get your money back. You could even put it on a credit card and then return it before its charged. However be prepared there will be a difference a very noticeable difference.
Thats a great point, if someone was willing to try it, its a try that can be returned if not happy with it... see it first and then offer a rebuttal.

Ive realized many of the debates were pre-HDR and 4K UHD.. and there, for 1080p stuff, sure no argument..

For the full image fidelity 4K UHD and even ATV Dolby Vision delivers.. theres a noticeable difference on this UHD content with a low jitter cable.

The color pop, cleaner low black level and sharper fidelity, due to cleaner data clocking from low jitter operation.

I?ve been in the business over 20 years. So I am a believer in cables but you?re right until introduction of UHDHDR never saw a difference other than reliability. There is a tremendous amount of detail, brightness, Black level, I mean the list goes on. So much so my kids even noticed it, I say kids, they?re 18 but in the least bit definitely not videophiles, lol. This TV definitely deserves a quality cable for video. I know the step up DBS versions Are great as well but to be honest and I hooked up a Diamond And so no difference. I did however hear a difference in super audio playback. So you definitely benefit going with that route in the audio field. I?m also an audio quest dealer so I?m not paying retail LOL

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
I'm using 10+ year old HDMI cables on my Sony and see no probs. I have 5 DVD, UHD and BD players hooked up and all is fine. I still have the first HDMI cable i bought in 2004 for my Pioneer Elite DV59- AVI and that player is till the best i ever bought after 14 years.

Reactions: frank xbe

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Any links to buy one of these low jutter cables on Amazon or...

·
Registered
647 Posts
Question for those of you with an A1E paired with an Oppo 203 or 205.

Sorry if this has been answered already, but I do not have the time to read through 150 pages of posts in this thread.

On the Oppo setup menu I was looking to set the output resolution to 4K rather than the "Auto" setting that it has by default. I noticed in the "Video Output Setting + HDR Setting" one of the options is "Target Luminance" which has a range of 50-1500 nits. For an A1E what is the ideal or recommended setting for the luminance???

Thank you!

·
Registered
900 Posts

For the full image fidelity 4K UHD and even what ATV Dolby Vision delivers.. theres a noticeable difference on this UHD content with a low jitter cable.

Well I admit I have not tried an AQ cable since 4K, so maybe it's worth another try; also they probably don't make a 25ft cable

Looks like they do!

So what about the interconnects - if I have a marantz with a vodka, do I also need AQ interconnects?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,472

Sorry if this has been answered already, but I do not have the time to read through 150 pages of posts in this thread.

On the Oppo setup menu I was looking to set the output resolution to 4K rather than the "Auto" setting that it has by default. I noticed in the "Video Output Setting + HDR Setting" one of the options is "Target Luminance" which has a range of 50-1500 nits. For an A1E what is the ideal or recommended setting for the luminance???

Thank you!
It's irrelevant. Set HDR to auto. The setting is only for sets that do not have HDR and Oppo converts output to HDR anyway.

·
Premium Member
3,607 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,607 Posts
Reading your posts was thinking that I've been lucky with my set, haven't had any issues, then a few minutes ago it suddenly rebooted. Hopefully just an Android TV quirk and nothing more serious.
I think that happened once to me. It’s been pretty stable for a while now.

Now the clicking thing stopped for a while and the panel is looking good uniformity-wise since about 1250 hours, the only thing is the slight yellow tint that seems to get better and worse at least to my eyes. Could be a number of factors I guess.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,417 Posts
Watched Thor Ragnarok UHD Blu last night and PQ was outstanding on the A1E.

Several scenes that really highlight HDR on an OLED, especially when they come out of the devil's you know what and you have a bright effect to the left of the screen and space in the middle and right.

Reactions: jrref

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
^^^
What i have found is most of the cheaper HDMI cables are not shielded and more susceptible to noise which can cause problems. Also, connector quality becomes a concern as well. I believe once you get to a certain level like a AQ Forest or Sky (only at BB), I like Pearl but i don't believe it's shielded, you are probably not going to see any difference unless you have a very long run. That's were the more expensive cables can make a difference.

You have to say to yourself, a $5 Monoprice HDMI cable has to have some profit for Monoprice. That said if you remove the profit, how much does it actually cost to make the cable? $2.50? And if so, how good can a $2.50 cable actually be? It might work in a lot of applications since it's all digital but if you want a good quality, shielded cable, you probably need to buy a more expensive but not crazy expensive cable.

Reactions: m_snow

·
Registered
647 Posts

Thank you!
It's irrelevant. Set HDR to auto. The setting is only for sets that do not have HDR and Oppo converts output to HDR anyway.
Wait a second, that really does not make sense to me. If the setting is only for sets that do not have HDR, then you would not set a target luminance for such a set (HD vs UHD). It would seem to me that the auto setting is aimed at sets/projectors that are not capable of HDR.

·
Premium Member
12,417 Posts
The target luminance setting is if you are using a setting that is going to output SDR 2020, like a FP or a device that doesn't do HDR well, or at all.

I leave my HDR setting to Forced instead of Auto, because it will only output HDR10 for now. I am not going to use the DV version of the disc until we know exactly how the Sony is doing in DV mode. With forced HDR, it will just send HDR10 even after the Oppo updates for Sony's Low Latency format. Other than that, just leave HDR as Auto and leave the target luminance alone.

The only thing you want to really change from stock settings for an A1E is to have it output 422 and not 444 (Auto setting).

Reactions: jrref
4461 - 4480 of 7884 Posts