AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the manuals it appears the Sony A20, XS and WF models all share the same XL-2200U bulb.

KDF-E55A20

KDF-E60A20

KDF-55XS955

KDF-60XS955

KDF-55WF655

KDF-60WF655

I have a KDF-60WF655 and I think it's great for everyone that has one of these sets that they are still manufacturering the same bulb in the newer A20 sets. Hopefully, Sony using this bulb in various models will keep prices down or even lower prices because it becomes a more common part.

My hope for this thread is that it could be an an ongoing thread for the XL-2200U bulb that Sony uses and people can post their lamp hours here so we get a feel for how long these lamps last and anything else related to these Lamps.

For the WF here is how you check the lamp hours:

"With the TV off, Press Display - 5 - Volume+ - Power (in sequence - don't hold the buttons down).

Press Jump three times (top left of screen will display PANEL)

Press 2 nine times and at bottom left will be LampTM with the number of hours to the right of it.

To get out of service mode, just press Power to turn the TV off. "

I'm not sure if that will work for the XS or A20 model. If not maybe someone could post those instructions that would be cool.

For my set the info is as follows;

Model:KDF-60WF655

DATE Delivered or Lamp Replaced: April 15th, 2005.

My LampTM: 1399

My LampCT: 438 ==> Times the Lamp has been switched on???

Power Saving: ON - Since day one.

Number of Lamps Replaced: None.

Average Lamp Life: Unknown.

I know the A20 just came out so the info won't mean much yet, but hopefully down the road it will. Please post your Sony A20, XS or WF info with the same pattern of info in this thread and let us know if the WF Lamp Check instructions work for the XS and A20.

Thanks!

PS: Does anyone know if the LampTM and LampCT can be reset or not when a bulb is changed?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just been looking at this myself as I am coming up on a year's usage. I also have the KDF 55WF655 model. My lamp currently has 2997 hours and is still going. The manual indicates an estimated life of 5000-8000 hours for the XL-2200 lamp.

I hope more people will post their results... since I am getting close to my warranty expiring I would appreciate a feel for when I should order a spare bulb. At this point I plan on waiting until I get closer to the 5000 hour mark.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just noticed my set getting dimmer in the past few weeks. I bought it 18 months ago and using the instructions above, I find LampTM to be 7894. We run on Vivid far more than we probably should, but it looks like we've gotten almost 15 hours a day avg use over the last year and a half on one bulb. It looks like I'll get my money back on that service contract when the guy comes out next week to replace it.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeki /forum/post/0

We run on Vivid far more than we probably should,....

The ONLY thing that affects the lamp is whether you select power saving in the menu. The lamp burns at a constant rate all the time. Power Saving drops the lamp output from 132Watts to 100watts I believe. Some question how much it really adds life by keeping it at a lower setting, but it can improve black level a small degree.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 /forum/post/0

TV: Sony 55WF655

Purchace date: 3/2005

Lamp TM: 1686

Lamp CT: 775

Power savings: OFF

Same... 3/05

2104 hrs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
KDF-55WF655 Purchaased 1/2005

LampTM 7921 LampCT 2213 Power Saving OFF

I think my picture is a getting a little darker. I just ordered a replacement bulb. I have access to a calibrated light intensity meter so I am going to take some before and after measurements to see if the new bulb is indeed brighter.

Bobby

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had my KDF-55WF655 almost exactly two years now, and I just had the second lamp replaced today. The first one went out JUST before the warranty was up, and in fact they didn't get it installed until after the warranty was expired. When they told me how much the lamp cost and how often it would go out, I was definitely pretty irritated that my opportunity to purchase an extended warranty was past. The last replacement was free of course, and today's repair (since I didn't know for sure what the problem was) came to just under $400. Now that I definitely know the symptoms, the model # of the lamp, and where to get them, I will definitely be purchasing them myself in the future and doing the replacement myself.

Regarding the # of hours, I didn't know how to check that before the lamp was replaced today, so I can only say that each lamp has lasted almost exactly one year, and that I keep my TV on virtually 24/7/365. There are 8,760 hours in a year, so figure I'm getting over 8,000 hours out of my lamp by leaving it on 24/7. I've heard that the more often you turn it off and on, the faster the lamp will burn out due to cooling issues, ESPECIALLY if you lose power and don't have it on a UPS, so I think you'll find that most people get less hours out of their lamps than I have.

Bottom line, I highly recommend purchasing the maximum extended warranty for any LCD TV when you purchase it, and make sure it covers lamp replacement in addition to everything else. It will definitely pay for itself even if you only use it for lamp replacement. It's not uncommon at all to have to replace things like the Optical Block either, which will run you a lot more.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would like to sugest that as people add to this thread on bulb life they include weather or not they use a UPS, surge suppore, or just plugged in to raw current.

By the way my 50A2000 has 1.5 hours on it! Loving it!

·
Registered
21 Posts
KDF-55XS955, original lamp, going on 18 month old, LampTM:4389, LampCT: 1998

·
Registered
1 Posts
My lamp is just now dying, started a slow death where the TV would cut out and act as if it's turning on again. It has been doing this in shorter intervals and now triggers after less than one minute. We have logged over 9800 hours viewing with the LampCT at over 6500. Lot's 'o kiddies here.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just checked and I'm at 10,035 hours with LampCT at about 2200. I'm still running low power mode with the brightness and picture cranked up. The bulb still hurts my eyes in a total dark room with a white scene.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Lamp on my Sony wdf e55a20 bit the dust today withh 9431 hrs. Amazing how you forget what the picture looked like when the set was new, until you put a new lamp in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm looking at buying a used one that has the lamp out. Is there any way to check for sure it's the lamp? What are the symptoms to clue you into it being the lamp? She said the set turns on but only the sound comes on. Anything else to check? It's a E60A20.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'll re-ask a question posted earlier.

How does one RESET the bulb life hours? Do I just keep a written record of the hours?

The original bulb lasted 5050 hours

The second one lasted less than 2000 hours.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We need to know this answer as well:

How does one RESET the bulb life hours? Do I just keep a written record of the hours?

The original bulb lasted over 9000 hours, we're getting ready to install our new one today.

Thanks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
kdf-60xs955 purchased November 2004

LampTM 10,719

LampCT 1755

Brightness seems normal, but starting to get the blue blob effect (also called blue dot or star pattern). I looked for someone else experiencing the same problem and AVS Forum came to the rescue again. I found where others are having the problem and the link to Sony's site referencing warranty coverage for the problem. Calling Sony tomorrow to get coverage for optical block repair. Evidently they are covering this problem through the end of the year.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Purchase the TV on 3/8/05. The Lamp readings as of 10/8/07 are:

LampMT 6688

LampCT 2574

I am not noticing any symtoms of impending lamp failure. However, as a previous post stated how does one really tell how much dimmer the picture is compared to a new bulb?

1 - 20 of 75 Posts