AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering the persuit of warranty service on my Sony 55A2000 due to it's Green Haze problem that makes fleshtones look green, but wanted to get advice from others on the forum that have gone this route. Here are some questions that I have...

1. Has anyone had permanent correction with this problem after repair (short of a full TV replacement)? If so, what worked....optical block replacement, etc?

2. What is the best way to demonstrate this problem to the repair technician to avoid denial and finger pointing? (I also have the Green Donut with Purple Ring I can point out).

3. Does Sony allow you to pick from a list of auth service companies in your area? If so, can someone recommend one in the Pasadena/San Gabriel Valley, CA area?

4. If this ends up escalating to the level of Sony offering a replacement, would I be foolish to accept a newer unit of the exact same model? There really is no other Sony that I would want to upgrade to, mainly due to cabinet size constraints (Dumbo Ear models will NOT work for me).

5. Is it a bad idea to even go down the repair road period? Should I just adjust my color settings as much as possible to reduce the effect, live with it and just avoid sony products in the future? I'd hate to get it worked on and end up with a problem worse than what I have now (I've read horror stories about loss of detail and motion blur issues after repair work on this set).

Thanks,

M

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'd probably try to get the set exchanged for a new one if at all possible. Doesn't seem like too many people are happy with the set after a repair. I've got a 60XBR2, and I also have some minor green fleshtone issues. I did an ISF calibration (grey scale only), and have minimized it as best as I can. I'm still debating whether to swap the set for another XBR2, or a DLP, or just live with it.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markz2k /forum/post/0

I'd probably try to get the set exchanged for a new one if at all possible. Doesn't seem like too many people are happy with the set after a repair. I've got a 60XBR2, and I also have some minor green fleshtone issues. I did an ISF calibration (grey scale only), and have minimized it as best as I can. I'm still debating whether to swap the set for another XBR2, or a DLP, or just live with it.

Do you have a "green haze" on a gray screen? Or white?

·
Registered
635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderhole /forum/post/0

2. What is the best way to demonstrate this problem to the repair technician to avoid denial and finger pointing? (I also have the Green Donut with Purple Ring I can point out).

If you can put up a gray or white screen and show this, I'd say that eliminates any possibility of denial. That's absolutely not normal.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomixer /forum/post/0

Do you have a "green haze" on a gray screen? Or white?

A grayscale screen reveals green towards the center of the screen and slightly magenta/purple along the bottom edge. Its subtle but its there. When I'm on certain inputs (such as the component that the Xbox 360 is hooked to) I can CLEARLY see a large green oval with a purple ring around it.

-M

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I've contacted sony and TRYING to get service for this TV. Went down the list and called every Platinum and Gold auth. repair center and all of them have claimed I'm "Not in their service area" and refuse to help. Three of them are less than 8 miles away, but each tells me to call one of the other two. Called Sony back and they were of little help, saying I should maybe try SEARS repair in my area. Three phones calls to Sears and I finally have an appointment 3 weeks from today.

Has anyone has any experience with Sears repair service for electroincs? I'm hoping I get someone who knows their stuff.

Thanks,

Mitch

·
Registered
433 Posts
Be warned...the cure may be worse than the disease. I had had my OB replaced and the replacement was worse. Depending on how bad it is, consider living with it. Or if you can still return it, return it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would call Sony back.After calling them 4 times about a issue with my TV & no repair facility wanting to come look at it Sony is getting me a replacement TV.What sucks is its a refurbished unit but not much you can do about it.

·
Banned
43 Posts
I had a purplish hue cloud in the lower right corner and Sony had the OB replaced under warranty on the XBR2. Now I just have the normal green haze the mostly dissapears after 1/2 hour or so. I say mostly becuase when I watch the NHL all start game on INHD, maybe my eye were playing tricks, but I thought I could see it during the entire game.

·
Banned
43 Posts
it cant be repaired. The Sony SXRD chip is defective. 100% of the optical blocks have the defect. The result is a color distortion that appears as a green or other color hazey coffe stain in the center of the screen known as the GREEN GLOB, a term I coined after being an early adopter and then getting screwed by Sony on the repairs. XBR2 is identical OB and has the problem equally as bad. No matter how many times they replace the optical block, the color aberation due to design defect will remain.

You best bet is the Mitsubishi 65831. it has received the highest rating ever of any TV on CNET.

·
Registered
336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyheberts /forum/post/0

it cant be repaired. The Sony SXRD chip is defective. 100% of the optical blocks have the defect. The result is a color distortion that appears as a green or other color hazey coffe stain in the center of the screen known as the GREEN GLOB, a term I coined after being an early adopter and then getting screwed by Sony on the repairs. XBR2 is identical OB and has the problem equally as bad. No matter how many times they replace the optical block, the color aberation due to design defect will remain.

You best bet is the Mitsubishi 65831. it has received the highest rating ever of any TV on CNET.

Troll

·
Registered
313 Posts

Quote:

So, from all the replies here I'm feeling that it is better that I just "Live With" the discoloration. Would you guys agree?

Thanks,

M

If it's some slight green tint (and not a glob, which is a different issue) you should be able to dial it out in the White balance settings. I know I was able to. I used about -7 for both Green Bias and the other Green setting (can't remember what it's called). I also dialed about a +3 for Blue. Now it looks perfect to me.

Also keep in mind that the set needs about 100 hours of break in before it starts looking optimal. Mine looked a bit green no matter what for the first few to several days and then started looking normal after that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Spiderhole,

1. No. I have been through two optical blocks with same results. Granted, the haze may be in a different location after such a swap. My haze currently resides in the middle left portion of the TV for a few hours after startup.

2. Any black and white movie should suffice. You can always turn your color control all the way down if need be. The green haze will still be there.

3. They gave me a list of three dealers in my area to choose from.

4. I sure would try the replacement set - what have you got to lose?

5. I have not experienced any new problems (loss of detail, etc) after having the OB's replaced.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediahound /forum/post/0

If it's some slight green tint (and not a glob, which is a different issue) you should be able to dial it out in the White balance settings.

I've been able to correct out the green tint issues about to about 90% satisfaction (compenstation to eliminate green seems to prevent "spot on" fleshtones, at least compared to my other sony lcd proj TV) However, I still get a Pinkish Haze along bottom 25% of screen that shifts to slight green at center when viewing grayscale content. This is quite bothersome.

THanks,

M

·
Registered
2,556 Posts

Quote:

So, from all the replies here I'm feeling that it is better that I just "Live With" the discoloration. Would you guys agree?

Thanks,

M

I have a 60 A-2000 and am on the fence as well. I have the center greenish haze and pinkish haze at top and bottom of screen. Gets a lot better after 30 minutes or so and not very noticeable on most program material after that. I also have bluish blacks with some purple cast at top and bottom on a solid black screen. This seems to be a lot worse if the house has been below 70 degrees before startup. I called the local 'platinum' repair center, and the guy basically told me that it is futile to try for new optical blocks for fairly minor tint variations. He has put as many as 5 in some sets to no avail. It just ends up with some new tint problem. His opinion of SXRD was pretty low. So is mine for that matter. I am leaning towards leaving well enough alone on mine, and just trying to ignore these subtle issues and enjoy the otherwise really nice picture on this thing. If the discolorations worsen I have a 5 year warranty to cover me. I don't think mine is bad enough right now to endure all the wasted time, and aggravation trying fix Sony's somewhat flawed SXRD technology. Next time I buy a tv, I am reading these forums carefully, and if any widespread issue such as this afflicts the tv I am interested in, I am avoiding it the like the plague!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Your logic is that just because you and a few vocal others posting here, have a problem with their TVs, that the entire SXRD technology is flawed?

Fact is, most SXRDs sold are totally fine. In fact, I could not find a single mention of this problem on any of the multiple Amazon.com reviews (and there are a lot). Maybe all of us who don't have the problem just slipped by and somehow got lucky?

While I commiserate with anyone who received a defective TV, I don't go along with the thinking that this makes the entire line flawed. There will always be a few of any manufactured product that come off the factory line defective or are mishandled (like dropped) while being shipped. And a few very vocal people on the internet to try to condemn the whole lot of them for it as well.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBuck /forum/post/0

I have a 60 A-2000 and am on the fence as well. I have the center greenish haze and pinkish haze at top and bottom of screen. Gets a lot better after 30 minutes or so and not very noticeable on most program material after that. I also have bluish blacks with some purple cast at top and bottom on a solid black screen. This seems to be a lot worse if the house has been below 70 degrees before startup. I called the local 'platinum' repair center, and the guy basically told me that it is futile to try for new optical blocks for fairly minor tint variations. He has put as many as 5 in some sets to no avail. It just ends up with some new tint problem. His opinion of SXRD was pretty low. So is mine for that matter. I am leaning towards leaving well enough alone on mine, and just trying to ignore these subtle issues and enjoy the otherwise really nice picture on this thing. If the discolorations worsen I have a 5 year warranty to cover me. I don't think mine is bad enough right now to endure all the wasted time, and aggravation trying fix Sony's somewhat flawed SXRD technology. Next time I buy a tv, I am reading these forums carefully, and if any widespread issue such as this afflicts the tv I am interested in, I am avoiding it the like the plague!

You seem to be one of the unfortunate few that are having problems with the a2000's. I am curious why everybody thinks it is an Optical Block problem? Even when replacing the OB several times does not seem to fix the "problem".

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.