AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If that is true then I will cancel my GH4 pre-order.
Quote:
At 7pm on Sunday (April 6) in Las Vegas Sony will announce the new Full Frame E-mount camera called “Sony A7s”. And according to one of our trusted sources it can record 4K video! Note: Today Sony announced a 4K partnerhsip with Fifa (more about it at Newsshooter). I am still not 100% sure yet if it will also feature the superb A6000 hybrid AF. But my guess is that the answer is YES and this could be the reason why it has the “S” suffix for “Speed”

A7s unveiling: You can follow the live stream presentation here on SonyAlphaRumors at 2pm Las Vegas time. So you can see the A7s as first and live here on SAR! Other time zones:

- 5pm New York time on Sunday April 6

- 3am (22:00) London time on Sunday April 6

- 11pm (23:00) Berlin time on Sunday April 6

- 6am (06:00) Tokyo time on Monday April 7
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-sony-a7s-will-shoot-4k-video/

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I thought it would be 2015 before Sony came out with 4K in the A7 but I guess I was wrong.
Quote:
Sony is rumored to be launched a new A7s mirrorless camera this Sunday at its NAB 2014 press conference, which kicks off at 5pm EDT. The camera is believed to feature the same body and design as the current A7 and A7R cameras.

The big new feature the A7s adds, however, is 4K video capture.

The addition of 4K video to the A7 line is a significant one, assuming Sony keeps the price down. In terms of hardware, I don’t expect the A7s to be much different from the A7R and A7. Accordingly, the price should not be forced into the stratosphere. And with the Panasonic GH4 at $1700, Sony could be aggressive and stay in the range of the A7 and A7R prices.

We’ll have more from NAB this weekend at the press conference. Stay tuned for the latest.
http://www.photographybay.com/2014/04/04/sony-a7s-4k-mirrorless-camera-coming-this-sunday-at-nab/

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
That would be freaking sweet. Fast E-mount and Alpha lenses are not cheap though. Last time I looked they were more costly than the F-mount and EF-mount equivalents. I would believe this rumor because Sony obviously uses a product differentiation business strategy to increase its market share against Nikon and Canon. It had to. I also wonder if that means we will see a 4K VG900

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the new 28-70 FE OSS lens along with 24mm F1.4, 35mm F1.4, 50mm F1.4 and 85mm F1.4 primes that I use with my VG900 so I am all set for the 4K A7s. BTW my Sony HVL-F60M External Flash and Sony ECM-W1M Wireless Microphone for Cameras with Multi-Interface Shoe will work on it also.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
I think because of potential over heating issues, 4k videos might eighter be 24p max frame rate or it'll have to crop a smaller portion of the chip. It could also be both. With that said, the price might not be too bad considering the regular A7 is selling for $1,700 at B&H. We'll just have to hope the real resolution, moire and aliasing isn't too bad.

·
Registered
851 Posts
LOL my RX1 shoots video but it looks like line-skipping crap. So I wouldn't rush to make a decision on the A7s until you see some actual footage.

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bet it will have the same 4K specs as the AX100 with XAVC S 4K @ 24 and 30 fps on SD cards with exFAT file system.
Quote:
Various sources have told Sony Alpha Rumors that an A7S is coming on Sunday “in Las Vegas”. It isn’t hard to figure out what is starting in Las Vegas this weekend. If the rumours are true the Sony A7S will be at NAB 2014 – the largest video, broadcast and cinema trade show of the year.

Is Sony about to give us a ‘full frame GH4′?

Both Rudi at Slashcam and I think this could well be the case. Why announce a stills camera update at NAB? By coincidence a few days ago when I picked up the Sony A6000 a Sony manager mentioned 4K and A7R in the same sentence. Apparently he was told by one of the company’s Japanese engineers that the A7R had 4K capability all along but not the heat dissipation or power economy to make it go continuously and reliably.

Processors get more power efficient all the time and cooler… The GH4 runs incredibly cooly, isn’t too expensive to manufacture and preserves battery life as if it is recording plain old 1080p!

Usually the “S” stands for superior and we know Sony have plans for 4K DSLRs and mirrorless cameras in the pipeline to help encourage their big push into consumer 4K. Note consumer not just pro! Sony already have some well established pro 4K video and cinema offerings.

At the start of the 1080p era Sony were instrumental in pushing HD as well. Sony need people to go out and buy 4K TVs to revitalise a huge industry.

So far all this is speculation and it should be treated as a rumour, but an E-mount full frame 4K mirrorless camera would be at the very top of my shopping list.

Let’s see what happens as the NAB show gears up from today onwards. Sunday is just a few days away and I think we’ll be hearing a lot more, and not just from Sony…
http://www.eoshd.com/content/12461/sony-a7s-4k-full-frame-mirrorless-camera-announced-sunday-nab

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchback  /t/1525849/sony-a7s-will-shoot-4k-v...at-2pm-las-vegas-time-on-sunday#post_24568515

LOL my RX1 shoots video but it looks like line-skipping crap. So I wouldn't rush to make a decision on the A7s until you see some actual footage.
4K has 8mp vs 2mp for 1080p so it should look much better.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
So, as predicted, Sony have a GH4 competitor as well. That leaves Canon as the last major company out of the loop. If they don't get their act in gear, they will go the way of the Dodo like Nikon.

·
Registered
33,480 Posts
I agree with Hatch, Joe, wait and see how this video is actually produced within the camera. Is it a full sensor read like in the RX10/AX100? This kind of sensor reading is obviously producing some of the best video these days. I do agree it will probably be 30p.

The other thing is that Panasonic has such a great reputation for video quality in their GH series, I'd be surprised if the Sony DSLR beats it.

How big is the A7 relative to the GH4?

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ken the 4K A7s has a 12mp full frame sensor and is smaller than the GH4 !

Quote:
The Sony A7s keeps surprising us! It will get announced on Sunday already(!) and it will record 4K video. And now I just learned it features a new 12 megapixel Full Frame sensor! It completely goes in the opposite direction of the market who calls for “more megapixels”. And I think Sony’s move makes a lot of sense: Larger pixels, cleaner high ISO images, more fps! This is going to be an amazing 4K camera!

Reminder: The A7s will be unveiled live at 2pm in Las Vegas (on Sunday). You can follow the live video stream on SAR!!! This is the time in other time zones:

- 5pm New York time on Sunday April 6

- 3am (22:00) London time on Sunday April 6

- 11pm (23:00) Berlin time on Sunday April 6

- 6am (06:00) Tokyo time on Monday April 7
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-sony-a7s-has-12-megapixel-full-frame-sensor/

·
Registered
33,480 Posts
Very nice Joe! Looks like you saved a bunch of money on lenses.

Now if you call Geico, they can save you money on your car insurance.

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ken, I think I will not be the only one to cancel a GH4 pre-order if this is true.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
12 megapixels? I would be very interested in that sensor then, because that could mean a true 4K 4096x2160 17:9 video portion of the sensor. A full 3:2 ratio sensor would give you 4096x2730 for stills, which would be over 11 megapixels. This would mean fast stills with high low-light sensitivity and awesome 4K video recording with no moire or aliasing, it just needs a global shutter and 48p/60p recording and it will be perfect. Maybe throw in an optional XLR mic adaptor too with 24/96 PCM audio.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Yes, with that sensor it would be video centric camera.

It will be interesting to see what happens on Sunday. I guess this is what Phillip Bloom was hinting about then. He apparently has a new camera for testing that he is very excited about.

·
Registered
851 Posts
After you de-Bayer a 4096x2160 pixel sensor you end up with only 1512 lines of measured resolution. It's a lot more than 1080p but still well short of true 4k. Personally, I don't think I can go back to 12Mpel stills so that would be a deal breaker for me.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I'm tempted by the A7 line with the incredible DxO rating for the Zeiss FE 55mm f1.8, but it sure would be nice to have one camera that can shoot great stills and great video.

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The 12mp 4K A7s should kill the 16mp Nikon D4s in low light and make a great companion to my 24mp VG900.

1 - 20 of 206 Posts