AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PS3 + Ticket Sub + 50 bones = awesome option.

Quote:
Hello PlayStation Nation!

Are you ready for some football!

We are excited to announce that PlayStation has partnered with DIRECTV to bring its popular sports subscription service, NFL SUNDAY TICKET, to the PlayStation 3 game console. PlayStation owners across the country will now have the opportunity to watch every out-of-market Sunday game on their PS3.

How do you get in the game? At the start of the season, viewers who do not currently have access to DIRECTV will be able to subscribe to NFL SUNDAY TICKET at the season price of $339.95. Existing DIRECTV customers can access the service on their PS3 for an additional $50 and use the PS3 as an additional receiver for your home.

NFL SUNDAY TICKET is a DIRECTV-exclusive sports package that offers:

Up to 14 NFL games every Sunday

Full HD for every football game

DIRECTV's Red Zone Channel

We know that PlayStation fans are huge sports enthusiasts, so adding NFL SUNDAY TICKET is the perfect complement to the PS3's rapidly growing lineup of sports entertainment, including MLB.TV and NHL GameCenter. We'll have more info, including a video tutorial and sign up information on the blog shortly. I hope you're as excited for the football season as we are.

Link:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/...ign=nfl_081711

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I'm confused.

Is that if you already subscribe to Directv AND Sunday Ticket you can add your ps3 for an additional 50?

edit: Nevermind. The second post clarified things as I was posting. Seems kind of ridiculous.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Wow, this is huge.
Quote:
Non-DirecTV subscribers will pay in the neighborhood of $340 for the subscriber authenticated-based PlayStation offering, $5 more than the price of a Sunday Ticket subscription.

This is the first time (and currently the only way?) that anyone can get Sunday Ticket without a DirecTV subscription. I could see people buying a PS3 just for this (before anyone laughs, a PS3 is cheaper than a one-year subscription...).

This absolutely blows away the ESPN/Xbox 360 thing. Very, very big news.

[EDIT] Well, still big news, but I should have read on:
Quote:
DirecTv will also offer Sunday Ticket on alternative distribution platforms via Motorola's Xoom and Samsung Galaxy tablets; Motorola's Android phones; the iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch; BlackBerry devices with 3G or Wi-Fi; Palm Pre/Pixi; and other Droid-branded phones.

Still, the PS3 is the only way to get it on your television without a DirecTV sub... which is definitely a big deal.

·
Registered
551 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon /forum/post/20834396

Wow, this is huge.This is the first time (and currently the only way?) that anyone can get Sunday Ticket without a DirecTV subscription. I could see people buying a PS3 just for this (before anyone laughs, a PS3 is cheaper than a one-year subscription...).

This absolutely blows away the ESPN/Xbox 360 thing. Very, very big news.

It's likely that in order to get this option, one will have to prove that they're unable to receive DirecTV at their location.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Thank God and baby Jesus! I have no line-of-sight for Directv and have been unable to watch my team at home for 2 years (opposite coast)! Between this and NHL Gamecenter I won't leave the house again till April lol. NFL doesn't even offer their internet streaming service in the USA (I checked lots) so I'm glad they stepped into the 21st century and got with the streaming.

·
Registered
551 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monger /forum/post/20834360

I'm confused.

Is that if you already subscribe to Directv AND Sunday Ticket you can add your ps3 for an additional 50?

edit: Nevermind. The second post clarified things as I was posting. Seems kind of ridiculous.

It sounds like if you have the "To go" add-on for sunday ticket that the PS3 will be one of the supported devices. This year (and last) DirecTV has been giving the To Go add on for free basically to anyone who calls in and asks for it, in addition to possible other significant discounts/credits. So you may very well end up being able to use your PS3 for no additional cost just by calling.

·
Registered
834 Posts
the PS blog is very misleading... the other article says you need to have directv and have signed up for sunday ticket to get the $50 to go option on the ps3...

I knew it sounded too good to be true... btw for the person commenting they are offering it for free for new subscribers... they ream you pretty good over your two year contract so any savings initially are lost in the long term.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I just added the NFL RedZone channel to my Cox North service (San Diego) for $39.95 for the season. Channel 1334

·
Registered
944 Posts
So with NFL Sunday ticket on PS3 you don't need to be a Directv customer and can still subscribe?

$339 all at once is expensive though. I hope they have an option where you can pay in like 4 payments through out the season.

I already have NFL Red zone with AT&T U-Verse. But I wonder if Directv's multi view red zone channel will be available on the PS3 where you have 8 live games on split screens on one channel.

This is a dream come true for fantasy football fans !

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Don't the majority of people with Sunday Ticket already watch games through their primary display? I don't know why this would matter to PS3 owners. IMO, the bigger deal here is that they're opening up the service to mobile platforms. That's something that actually sounds cool. But it is great that Sony is getting more and more streaming content. Definitely not a bad thing.

·
Registered
944 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman /forum/post/20835875

Don't the majority of people with Sunday Ticket already watch games through their primary display? I don't know why this would matter to PS3 owners. IMO, the bigger deal here is that they're opening up the service to mobile platforms. That's something that actually sounds cool. But it is great that Sony is getting more and more streaming content.

Partly agree with what you said here.

I fall into the category of people of: Have been tempted to switch over to Directv for a few years now because of NFL Sunday Ticket but what's holding me back is that I don't want to be locked into a 2 year contract with them. If you do the math you will be spending a lot more $$$ than the $339 for NFL Sunday Ticket because what's misleading is that after the NFL season your pretty much limited into one of Directv's upper pricing plans that average in the $80 to $170 a month subscription plans. Also if you cancel your contract with them before the 2 years is up you will end up paying a $100 or $200 early termination fee.

I found this on another message board and here is a estimate on how much you would pay for 1 year of service of Directv even with signing up on their current promo of "Free NFL Sunday Ticket for new DTV customers"

Quote:
DTV charges 300 for it + you have to subscribe to DTV, this is the first time in 10+ years that they have just allowed you to BUY NFL Sunday ticket. If you do Netflix for 8/mo over 12 months + 349 your total TV bill is 445 USD for a year, if you subscribe to DTV your total bill is 900 USD a year, so overall if you don't watch Network TV the netflix option is the better deal. Also if you want MLB Extra Innings you can just buy MLB.TV for 150 on PS3 and watch all the baseball games that way. The only thing you lose out on is Hockey.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Apparently the poster in the copied thread doesn't like basketball or any college sports.

That Sunday ticket is now available without a directv subscription is interesting indeed. Now I'll have to decide if RedZone is sufficient for watching my J-E-T-S or if I should splurge for the entire game.

·
Registered
12,210 Posts
I'd love for this to be offered for the NBA.

Right now I waste a ton of money getting cable stations I never watch because many NBA games are shown on seven different stations. With this kind of package, I'd only need to sign up for a basic package that lets me watch local stations for home games and the news.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBinHD /forum/post/20835988

That Sunday ticket is now available without a directv subscription is interesting indeed. Now I'll have to decide if RedZone is sufficient for watching my J-E-T-S or if I should splurge for the entire game.

I'm a little confused by this whole thing.... So, do you need to prove to Direct TV that you can't get Direct TV at your house for this thing to work? I can get Direct TV at my house, but have zero interest in paying all that cash per month for a TV package that I would hardly ever use.

I'm not sure I understand all the hoopla over this. Direct TV had this available last year via the PC if you could prove that you couldn't get Direct TV at your house. The only difference here is that they are allowing it for the PS3 as well. I know there is a convenience factor in that most people don't have their PC in the same room as their big HDTV, but other than that, I don't see any huge incentive.

·
Registered
292 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 /forum/post/20836237

I'm a little confused by this whole thing.... So, do you need to prove to Direct TV that you can't get Direct TV at your house for this thing to work? I can get Direct TV at my house, but have zero interest in paying all that cash per month for a TV package that I would hardly ever use.

I'm not sure I understand all the hoopla over this. Direct TV had this available last year via the PC if you could prove that you couldn't get Direct TV at your house. The only difference here is that they are allowing it for the PS3 as well. I know there is a convenience factor in that most people don't have their PC in the same room as their big HDTV, but other than that, I don't see any huge incentive.

I'm assuming that all non-DIRECTV subscribers are eligible, but this part of the press release does need clarification:

"How do you get in the game? At the start of the season, viewers who do not currently have access to DIRECTV will be able to subscribe to NFL SUNDAY TICKET at the season price of $339.95."

1 - 20 of 122 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.