AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When is this technology expected to arrive in homes?

I know Sony did their investment a couple of years ago in hopes of having their NEXT Trinitron, but the news has been less than overwhelming since.

This tech appeared to be number one with a bullet.

Anyone know what happened (or has all gone quiet on purpose with a spring 2002 announcement forthcoming?)
http://www.siliconlight.com/htmlpgs/...eframeset.html

Thanks. Rick

------------------

The Proceeding Message Was Brought To You By Some Yutz Who Thinks He Knows Something. Ignore At Will.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts

This may very well be misinformation. I think that there is a laser involved in the projection technology and that there may be difficulties and dangers into translating such a machine to home use. At least someone made this point elsewhere in the forum.

Now that I read it, this is a pretty useless comment. Well maybe someone will give better information when this bumps to the top. Art

·
Registered
20 Posts
I work in the fab that is manufacturing the silicon light GLV chip. I have seen an engineering demo of the projection unit based on this chip-- it is extremely impressive. For example, standing inches from the 10' wide image, I was unable to observe any pixelation, and the colors were extremely bright, clear, and well seperated. Being fairly new to high-end video, I am probably not helping much with my explanations.

Sony has purchased exclusive rights to this technology, and I do not know the status of when it will be released. I do know that they have been shooting some hi-def demo loops for the display purposes. I also do know that the GLV has been successfuly used in a new printing plate unit from Agfa and also has been used for an extremely high-def display for aircraft flight simulation.

The specs on the GLV chip are quite impressive. I would suggest reading some of the white papers at siliconlight.com.

Shockley

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep. I've seen demos as well and up close (four inches?) there was nothing but beauty (and again, reading the specs--it should not be pixalated ever.)

Yes, the question is, does anyone have a clue when we'll get the opportunity to put GLV to the test in our own home theaters?

------------------

The Proceeding Message Was Brought To You By Some Yutz Who Thinks He Knows Something. Ignore At Will.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
This technology is relatively new, and up to this point there have been no commercial products that employ it. I have not heard any reports whatsoever regarding availability of a consumer product.

I'll be getting feedback from my co-workers who were at Infocomm last week, I'll ask about Sony's presence there.

------------------

"better living thru modern expensive electronics"

tm

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I asked a friend today from Sony's Pro Division--and he noted that they are testing (prototype phase) FP units with GLV and that the tests and the costs are both in line with being able to easily undercut DLP by a ten to 15 percent margin (while still keeping Sony's always huge mark-up.)

So. Full and accurate spectrum, no pixalation to vast sizes, and speed, speed, speed with accuracy intact.

Timing on the other hand, he did not know.

There's the rub.

------------------

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On the other hand, with the Trinitron no longer exclusive to Sony...one might suspect that they were looking for a 25 year magic bullet replacement.

And with exclusivity on GLV from Silicon Light, that particular issue is solved.

It could well be that they have it in the product queue and we'll see it in the 2003 line-up.

------------------

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by evilhomer!:
THe main question stil remains witout an answer.
When is this technology expected to arrive in homes?s>

SONY acquisition of the rights took place about a year ago...it takes awhile to take something from lab prototype to a consumer product. I would expect NOT to see a consumer product of any type for another several years and I would expect to see the first commercial products released for electronic cinema/professional applications.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
FIW, here is my answer:

NEVER!s>

Why, you ask? Because this product requires high power (multi-watt) red green and blue lasers. There has to be a cost breakthrough in laser technology for this to be afordable.

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP; Boycott JVC

[This message has been edited by Larry Hutchinson (edited 06-17-2001).]

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Larry Hutchinson:
FIW, here is my answer:

NEVER!s>

Why, you ask? Because this product requires high power (multi-watt) red green and blue lasers. There has to be a cost breakthrough in laser technology for this to be afordable.

Actually, I was following this technology and saw demos long before SONY became involved. The power requirements can be scaled to the image size desired. Home sized displays would require less than a watt per color. The showstopper for Silicon Light Machines at the time SONY acquired the rights was the lack of laser manufacturing facilities. Most OEMs were far too busy cranking out millions of lasers for CD/DVD rom drives to be concerned with a somewhat niche specialty item. SONY has a need and laser manufacturing facilities.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The cost in wattage is minimal. Lasers now exist in Red, Green, and Blue...

This is infinitely doable and it is forthcoming.

I've seen demos of home-sized screens.

But thanks for the big NEVER. I am always impressed when people can use a huge font. Grin.

Rick

------------------

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.