Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting story at Stereophile www.stereophile.com/shownews.cgi?1353

Sony and Universal going forward on new titles to do hybrid CD/SACD discs?

Wow, this is really big if true...

Stereophile is getting more sources to confirm, but I am excited about

(1) Better and newer title selection

(2) Lower prices

(3) Extra production capacity

(4) More acceptance

(5) Extra demand for big name catalog titles

A good day may be in the works for tomorrow!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Scoggins
Interesting story at Stereophile www.stereophile.com/shownews.cgi?1353

Sony and Universal going forward on new titles to do hybrid CD/SACD discs? A good day may be in the works for tomorrow!
Sony's SACD Group has a press conference planned for this Thursday at the Home Entertainment 2002 show in New York. Sony says the press conference will include "the latest news about Super Audio CD hardware and software."

From the Stereophile story, this press conference could be a little more interesting that most of us had expected !

·
Registered
130 Posts
It was also interesting to read in some trade press (can't quite recall which, possibly Stereophile) about Meridian possibly looking at SACD as well. Whatever it is, sure sounds like good news to consumers all round.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Sounds like your typical press release blurb that is re-written as news in a magazine scrambling to fill their pages with 'stuff'.

Don't hold your breath for tons of incredible new SACD's that end this obscure little format war. There's a long way to go with neither format probably ever really 'winning'.

It's a LOT of time and money to go back and re-record a SACD or DVD-A from old master tapes. Who pays for that studio time and man power? No one really wants to, and there's next to no market for it, and that's why there's not much out there.

And then there's the 'who decides' how you turn the old tracks into multichannel surround. The subtle 'soundstage' approach, or the in your face 'I'm in the band' approach.

Will your hi-res. disc you've been waiting for be mixed the way you want?

Will it be up to the level of either formats potential?

With old master tapes, and current 'not up to par' resolution of hi-res players... the current answer is 'no'.

Most people aren't even hearing CD's at their best.

Hell, most 'shmoes' out there will never own equpit. that even comes close to maxing out CD's much less higher resolution formats, so the record industry knows the hi-res. formats are a waste of money for them -but they'll charge us a fortune for the rare disc that comes out and so they won't feel so bad.

And while all other things being equal SACD or DVD-A can (but don't ness. do) both sound better than the best recorded CD, you can spend some money on a kick a$$ DAC, and make sure your speakers and room are up to par, and improve all at once each and every CD's that you already own to a VERY high level of quality.

Most people jumping into either hi-res. format aren't doing this, and people with better 2 chan. set ups can beat these hi-res set ups.

Much better use of some spare cash IMO, than buying a new SACD or DVD-A player and then begging for obscure B or C grade releases that trickle out of the Big 5 (the music companies).

How many of your fav. CD's are available in higher res. format? Be honest, probably very few if any right?

So far for me... not even one in my entire collection.

When The Beatles, The Stones, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, plus most new artist albums coming out are in either higher res. format, and universal players w/ a simple firewire connnection and preamps that accept firewire and decode both formats are common place, and 25 cent hi-res discs aren't sold for $25, then it'll be worth looking into, and replacing music I already own.

The best recorded CD's I own played on my system sound better than any SACD or DVD-A demo I've ever heard in any hi-fi shop -and always w/ much more costly equipt than mine in the demos.

The diff. is room, and speaker set up which have always been far 'optimal' in the store demos.

For a specific example. Roger Waters -Amused to Death recorded in Q-Sound.

An incredible quality recording, and as good a 'surround sound' display as anything I've ever heard in actual surround sound -and I have a full surround set up (7.1 pre/pro) in case you think I'm a 2-chan. die-hard.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AZ,

A few points...

(1) The press release is about forward calendar product only supposedly.

(2) You are right that most people aren't hearing CDs at their best. Listen to XRCD2s and you will be amazed at what a better mastering process is capable of. Yet XRCD2 can't touch a good Super Audio recording. 64X more musical data is just too hard to overcome, even if you use the excellent Musical Fidelity DAC A3 24 I am lusting over.

(3) The cost of DSD recordings is dropping fast everyday and we see this in the studio.

(4) High resolution formats are improving fast! The best SACDs today will be average in a year. Remember the early 80s CDs? They sounded terrible. Super Audio will get a lot better - I hope to see Ed Meitner's ADCs and DACs help in this respect.

(5) To be fair to Sony, hybrid discs will create much more convenience and more titles to move more people into the SACD camp. And it will likely suck in more mfrs to build Super Audio players. DVD got started small too. I think this could work if well marketed. We still need some big titles but Universal has some good ones.

(6) I love Roger Waters Amused to Death. But it gets blown out by six channel Chesky Records Swing Live by Bucky Pizzarelli. You ARE in the jazz club and you hear clinking glasses and all sorts of cool effects as you listen to great jazz.

What can be better than that? :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brian,

Quote:
Sony's SACD Group has a press conference planned for this Thursday at the Home Entertainment 2002 show in New York. Sony says the press conference will include "the latest news about Super Audio CD hardware and software."
I am a big fan of your reporting in HighFidelityReview. Keep up the good work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.