·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sony Passage officially announced:
Quote:
DHG HiDef DVR - High Definition Set-Top Box Solution with DVR

Next-generation DVR for high-definition broadcast viewing and recording

Live television pause, smooth variable rate trick play modes including fast forward, fast rewind, slow motion (forward and reverse), and frame advance

Content encryption on HDD for tamper resistance

Comprehensive copy protection support: Macrovision, CGMS-A, DTLA DTCP and HDCP

Memory Stick media support

Passage technology-enabled
via http://www.sonypassage.com/

·
Registered
713 Posts
That's great news!

I emailed them to ask when they think they might release this. Hopefully it's not years away. I wouldn't think so if they announced it.

I'm just hoping that they will use Tivo to run it :D

Jeff

·
Registered
703 Posts
This product is part of their Cocoon line discussed in a recent issue of Fortune magazine. As I recall, this product is already available in Japan.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
If I can't offload content to DVHS, DVD-R, or to my HTPC's HDD over firewire then I don't want it.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
According to this quote from the press release:

SONY ELECTRONICS UNVEILS FOUR SET-TOP BOXES AT BROADBANDPLUS SHOW

ANAHEIM, CA., (BroadbandPlus, Booth #3801)

Today at the BroadbandPlus Show, Sony Electronics unveiled four set-top digital cable receivers (set-top box) that enhance options for both cable providers and consumers.........

------------------------------------------------

It would seem that they're all cable boxes.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by XFactor
Here's another interesting product, and it has firewire:

Now if only I could tell if this was OTA, OTA&DirecTV, etc.
I dont have time to pull the lines from what I read but I thought I saw it was for MSO's, e.g. Cable. Based on the list of partners named makes me think this is going to be for cable.

Regards,

Brian

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Most likely Firewire IN only or none at all. Dump to tape is doubtful, since it's Sony and they won't want that

·
Registered
149 Posts
The idea behind Sony's "passage" technology it to allow various types of cable TV equipment to work together regardless of who made it. With this technology a Cable customer could go to the store and buy a new set top box with the features he wants. If he moves he can take it with him because it will work with the next cable company's equipment, too. Motorola also now offers a set top high def PVR for cable. We can only hope that companies like Tivo start making non-cable PVR's.

·
Premium Member
11,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Stevens
Most likely Firewire IN only or none at all. Dump to tape is doubtful, since it's Sony and they won't want that
They state on the link above that it is for networking, so it should be in and out.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I would not assume anything with this box... It's got usage limitation technology "features" built thoroughly into the design. Some of these wonderful features include:

- Comprehensive industry standard copy protection technology support: Macrovision, CGMS-A, DTLA DTCP, and HDCP

- DVI interface (and associated security)

- Content encryption on HDD for tamper resistance

Don't expect to be upgrading the hard drive, adding new software, or otherwise tweaking this system.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Stevens
No doubt since it's Sony, we'll get Dump to Memory Stick :)

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
kippjones, remember, Sony disabled Firewire OUT on their Firewire equiped TV's, infuriating many.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jimre
No doubt since it's Sony, we'll get Dump to Memory Stick :)
This is no joke.

Both the STB & STB/DVR offer "Memory Stick® media support".

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Oh good, for a moment I was worried I wouldn't be able to archive all my HD programming onto a 128MB Memory Stick.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jimre
Oh good, for a moment I was worried I wouldn't be able to archive all my HD programming onto a 128MB Memory Stick.
Exactly.

·
Registered
8,828 Posts
I'm afraid archiving is not going to be allowed. They're simply not going to let you archive The Sopranos from an HBOHD feed to a DVDR because they want to sell the DVDs and HD-DVDs (if any).

The CGMS-A is in the Media Center PCs that MS is bringing out this Holiday season. IIRC, the content provider can set a copy-once flag meaning a one-time recording for time-shifting I believe. Their stupid argument is that people would share these huge HDTV recording files on P2P.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure even the EFF would defend anything more than time-shifting fair use rights.

·
Registered
296 Posts
After looking into a Mini-Disc recorder, and realizing it's limitations, Sony will make this device unusable for the archiver.

The MD unit would allow recording from a microphone, or other digital/analog input. One is not ALLOWED to transfer that digitally recorded file directly to the computer. One would have to capture the analog playback outs into a soundcard or something. Completely unbelievable. You can't even copy your own creations! Along with only being able to transfer music recorded back from the MD ripped from CDs only 3 times total. And only to the computer from which they were transferred. And even then, still encrypted.

Sony will not offer us the option of firewire out, or any usuable outs at all.

Consumer devices have unfortunately reached the place where their usuablility is severely hampered by the paranoia of content providers.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.