AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently had a lighting strike knock out my old 32" Panasonic Superflat, which I enjoyed very much. After some heming and hawing, I opted for a Sony 30XS955 to replace it, largely because I thought a larger set would be a tough fit in the built-in cabinet where it needs to go. (After seeing the 30", I'm not sure, but that's another story.) Brought the set home yesterday and thus far, the picture quality is a mixed bag. HD/DVD/non-HD satellite looks great (although I don't know if it's great enough to justify the price premium for the Sony brand) but analogue reception from either my rooftop antenna or the analogue cable service I still have is mediocre, much worse than the picture quality on the old Panasonic. Antenna channels that were sharp are now snowy, and the cable picture is grainy. The DRC modes don't make much difference. Anyone else experiencing poor analogue reception?

I must confess, with multiple signal sources feeding multiple TVs, the cable passes through, in order, a four-way powered amplifer, a surge protector, and a three-way splitter on the way to the TV. It's certainly possible the signal's too degraded, although I would think the amp should handle that. The antenna only passes through the surge protector and a two-way splitter, though. It doesn't seem like that signal could be degraded much. When I have more time, I intend to recheck the connections (and there are a number of them) but it does seem like the TV isn't doing a great job picking up the signal, especially since both input sources show the problem. The digital tuner, however, does seem to be doing a good job. I'm getting a lot more channels than I thought I would. I'm really curious if manufactures are maybe cutting corners on the NTSC tuning side of the house for models marketed as HD monitors. Doesn't seem impossible.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you want Great analog PQ you need to use a Great native analog set!

For our condo bedroom which can only have SD service due to cable restrictions of only one set top box per unit.

We chose as our non HDTV set the Sony KV27FV310 a 2003 analog/enhanced model that has since been discontinued by Sony but can be found through sellers(Target) via internet.

Otherwise SD on a HDTV is at the mercy of buit-in tuner,set top box,or DVR conversion of 480i signal.

SD on a widescreen HDTV is never as good as it looked on a good analog or enhanced 3D digital comb filter in a 4:3 ratio.

We have Brighthouse Network cable for both digital/HD and SD service and have 100 analog channels.

After seeing HD PQ analog PQ is subjective at best!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I thought amps only amplify what signal you have, so if it's bad it's amplified.

Try turning down most TV settings - Sharpness to 0, and brightness down. This helped my Sony 34XBR960 immensely with SD picture, looks 10x better.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Our Sony KV30HS420 uses the Scientific Atlanta 8300 HD-DVR box to scale the 480i input and looks very good compared to the Sony scaling 480i through antenna.

We use just the HDMI connection for TV(480i,480p,720p,1080i)and the HD and progressive inputs have been calibrated by an ISF pro and look almost as good as the high end XBR 10 bit super fine filters like the XBR and super fine filter XS series.

I always view 480i content in 4:3.

Or go to the bedroom to view analog content on the Sony KV27FV310 which has a 3D filter.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Like everyone said i find my set to be pretty bad with analog SD.

Digital SD looks so much better... does turning down the sharpness help that much?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.