·
Registered
12,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GamesCom '09 Summary

The show's over. Here's what was presented:

Quote:
PS3 news

New slimmer PS3, available in the first week of September. Smaller, lighter, all the same features your current PS3 has. It will be available for 299 euros, 299 dollars and 29,980 yen. The price has also JUST dropped for all current PS3s on the shelf.

Firmware 3.0 -- animated themes, a What's New section and some other great interface changes. There will also be direct links to various TV services on the XMB -- for example, iPlayer in the UK. The battery meter has been moved in Firmware 3.0.

Digital Reader -- coming to US and EU in December. Graphic Novels, Indie comics and local comics too. From Marvel: Spider Man, X-Men, Hulk, Iron Man, Captain America, Wolverine, Fantastic Four, Daredevil, Thor. More publishers to be announced soon...

EyePet will be retailing for just under 50 euros ($70) and will be bundled with the PlayStation Eye.

SingStar is coming to Home. Includes a music quiz, a video jukeboz, an interactive dance floor and "more to come..." Audi's also bringing some stuff to Home in September, with a full Audi space coming before the end of the year. A Home update will also be coming in September, which includes a shrinking potion, and other additions.

Motion Controllers will be fully shown at TGS later this year. Some examples of upcoming motion controller content being shown off: everything from party games, to adventure games, to toys.

PSP news

To celebrate the launch of PSP Go, people who register their Gos between the 1st and the 10th of October will get a free digital copy of GT PSP.

Announcing Minis. Smaller games, taking advantage of the smaller development cost on the PSP. These will be exclusive to the PSN Store and will have a 100MB size limit. 15 new games available at launch on 1st October. 50 titles coming in 2009. Games Shown: Tetris, Fieldrunners, Hero of Sparta and MiniGore.

The PSP 3000 is getting some new colours -- Turquoise Green, Lilac Purple (bundled with Hannah Montana) and Blossom Pink.

From Slacker George, some video links to the stuff shown:

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time

Heavy Rain

Little Big Planet GOTY

Little Big Planet Water

Dead Nation (PSN)

·
Registered
806 Posts
how credible is that list?

everybody expects news on GT5 but nothing has been really confirmed as of now me thinks

·
Registered
12,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I clearly say it is a list of rumors. No rumor list contains confirmation, and the GT5 line even has the word 'maybe' so it won't be confused as news. Anything mentioned may or may not be at the show.

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
GamesCom is exciting for me because that's when a fresh code of PES2010 will be shown to the press.

·
Registered
251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingShorty /forum/post/16994101

GamesCom is exciting for me because that's when a fresh code of PES2010 will be shown to the press.

·
Registered
5,639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoguishClyde /forum/post/16994176

Thank you for that! I need to show that to my wife as she's been giving me a hard time about some events in October that clash with a Man Utd match. Some times she just needs to understand that 11 men chasing a ball are more important!

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Considering that some major Euro retailers have already said they won't stock the PSP Go, I'd wager that Sony's going to be pushing the new portable pretty heavily with game, feature, and PSN-related announcements.

The rumor mill is churning out word of a Slim announcement and price drop for PS3. But prior to E3, the buzz was that Sony would be waiting until TGS. The announcement will come at one of these, I'm sure.

But I can already see how loud the outcries will be if there isn't an announcement next week. Fans convince themselves things like this will happen, then get disappointed when they don't.

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
If they don't announce a price drop, it just keeps the buzz going with the bitching. So in this case, any news is good news for Sony.

·
Registered
806 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow /forum/post/16994012

I clearly say it is a list of rumors. No rumor list contains confirmation, and the GT5 line even has the word 'maybe' so it won't be confused as news. Anything mentioned may or may not be at the show.

I'm not putting a blame on you, take it easy.

GT5 line doesn't say 'maybe', it says 'maybe a release date', so it's presented as there will be news on GT5 and 'maybe a release date' attached with the news. I know it's a rumor list but some of this stuff is widely talked about, like price drop and firmware and such, it here it was first I read something about GT5 that's my I'm asking. Didn't mean to come off offensive.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman /forum/post/16994235

Considering that some major Euro retailers have already said they won't stock the PSP Go, I'd wager that Sony's going to be pushing the new portable pretty heavily with game, feature, and PSN-related announcements.

The rumor mill is churning out word of a Slim announcement and price drop for PS3. But prior to E3, the buzz was that Sony would be waiting until TGS. The announcement will come at one of these, I'm sure.

But I can already see how loud the outcries will be if there isn't an announcement next week. Fans convince themselves things like this will happen, then get disappointed when they don't.

Seems pretty likely it'll happen at Gamescom. Price drops have already happened in Europe and there are a lot of stories of the current PS3 stock drying up.

But yeah, if they don't announce anything the reaction will be epic.

·
Registered
12,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is Sony's schedule and announced titles... apparently they have said that their conference will be a little over an hour long.
Quote:
Sony's conference Tuesday 18th August 7pm local time. (6pm in the UK.) (US 10am PST) (US 1pm EST).

* Heavy Rain

* Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

* God of War III

* MAG

* EyePet

* Ratchet and Clank: A Crack In Time

* SingStar

* Buzz!

* White Knight Chronicles

* PSN Games

* VidZone

* PlayStation Home

* PSPgo

* DC Universe

* Gran Turismo

* Invizimals

* MotorStorm: Arctic Edge

* LittleBigPlanet

* Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier

* SOCOM: Fireteam Bravo 3

·
Registered
7,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker George /forum/post/16998865

Seems pretty likely it'll happen at Gamescom. Price drops have already happened in Europe and there are a lot of stories of the current PS3 stock drying up.

But yeah, if they don't announce anything the reaction will be epic.

Current stock could be drying up to make way for a new bundle. Latest rumor is now that the current 80gig will get a price drop in early September to 299 Euros (presumably with the 160gig sku following suit to 399).
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/14/ha...-non-slim-ps3/

Two key things about this rumor:

1) No Slim in sight.

2) Joystiq received a cease and desist letter for posting it.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
What we heard: Next week, the first GamesCom will kick off in Cologne, Germany. The successor to the Leipzig Games Convention, which drew more than 200,000 attendees last year, will be Europe's biggest gaming event by far. And now, judging by the increasing percolation of speculation, it will likely have global importance as well.

As anticipation grows that Microsoft will reveal a $100 price drop for the 120GB Xbox 360 Elite at its GamesCom conference on August 19, Sony Computer Entertainment has pulled back the curtain slightly on its own Cologne plans. Reports out of the UK have Sony confirming that one of the items on the docket will be the European launch of the PS3 video store. However, given that the announcement of the video store's North American launch took only a few minutes at Sony's 2008 Electronic Entertainment Expo presentation, that leaves the company with plenty of time for other announcements.

What else will Sony unveil? One publication claims to have the answer. The Web site of Hong Kong-based magazine GameWave declares that the long-rumored PS3 Slim will be the centerpiece of Sony's event. Though the magazine echoes reports that the console will be cheaper and thinner than the current model, its claims are undermined somewhat by the fact that its cover shows a fan-created concept image of the console (bottom). The design is markedly different from the images purportedly leaked from a Taiwanese factory in May (top), which were important enough to warrant legal threats from a mysterious law firm.

Adding to the increasing PS3 Slim speculation are rumblings from European retailers. Furthermore, following reports that Sony is ramping up PS3 hardware orders after cutting manufacturing costs by 70 percent, British industry magazine MCV claims that stocks of the console have dried up in the island nation. It quoted an "anonymous spokesperson for one of the UK's largest national retailers" as saying, "We've been told not to expect any further [PS3] hardware deliveries until September."

The official story: "Sony does not comment on rumor or speculation" - Sony rep.

Bogus or not bogus?: Looking not bogus, according to Wedbush Morgan Securities' oft-quoted game-industry analyst Michael Pachter. "All of the rumors floating around suggest that a PS3 price cut and introduction of the PS3 Slim is going to happen by the end of the month, and GamesCom is the only significant event between now and then," he told Industrygamers.

"We have seen reports out of China about increased PS3 component orders, have seen pictures that look real of the PS3 Slim, and have seen recent reports of declining PS3 stock in Japan and Europe, with comments from retail that they have been told not to expect new supplies of PS3s until the end of August or early September. All of that points to the possibility of an announcement at GamesCo

http://www.gamespot.com/news/blogs/r...om-reveal.html

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
After listening to the ListenUp podcast, there was mention that a major title that was slated to be released next year (2010) will actually be releasing this year (fall/holiday 2009).

We already know that it's not MAG as that has been given a hard street date in January 26th. I'm hoping that it's Heavy Rain.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
The worst video game rumour has received more evidence with Swedish retailer - Discshop - listing the PS3 slim (although using a fake PS3 slim picture).

The site says very little only claiming that it will be released in fall and to keep an eye out for updates.

If the PS3 slim is ever to be announced except it at Gamescon this week.

After many rumors, it appears now that that is really a small version of the Playstation 3 this autumn.

http://translate.google.com/translat...games%26%26ref

·
Registered
7,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy_winds /forum/post/17013179

If the PS3 slim is ever to be announced except it at Gamescon this week.

Or at TGS in late September.

P.S. as someone else corrected me in another thread, "Gamescon" is different from "Gamescom." This week's event is Gamescom.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
This was posted over at ..

1 - 20 of 317 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.