AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm looking for a camcorder to make short films, documentaries, music videos, concerts reviews, and some low light situations. My first choice was a Canon Vixia HF G30, but then I saw the promo video for the Sony AX100 and it was mind blowing. My question is: Should I get the Sony PXW-X70 instead? looks more professional to me!

Audio is not a deal breaker because I own a Zoom h4n. Im more worried about having the best quality image, and more artistic control over my videos. It seems to me that the PXW-X70 have more manual controls than the AX100. Am I right?

My budget is 2000$, a little more or less.

Any other suggestion? no DSLR please!

Thanks in advance
Alfredo

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
If you don't mind the audio I think the AX100 is the better buy. Not only because it shoots 4k now as opposed to later plus some additional cost of upgrade in the case of the X70, it's also a few hundred dollars cheaper. At 1080p level the X70 is undoubtedly a superior camera with the ability to shoot in 10 bit, 4:2:2 vs 8 bit, 4:2:0 only on the AX100, an extensive range of picture profile controls vs next to nil on the AX100.

Hardware-wise they are a bit different with the X70 having a few control facilities geared to professional use.

A lot depends on what the cameras will be used for. For me, choosing the AX100 would no brainer as most of my clients and audience are neither sophisticated enough to be fussy about the technical aspects in the videos they see nor would they even care.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Canon Vixia HF G30

Thanks for the info! What do you think about the Canon Vixia HF G30? it is 500$ cheaper. Is tenting me because I want to get some accessories. The 4k looks amazing but I think clients will worry about that in a couple of years.

If you don't mind the audio I think the AX100 is the better buy. Not only because it shoots 4k now as opposed to later plus some additional cost of upgrade in the case of the X70, it's also a few hundred dollars cheaper. At 1080p level the X70 is undoubtedly a superior camera with the ability to shoot in 10 bit, 4:2:2 vs 8 bit, 4:2:0 only on the AX100, an extensive range of picture profile controls vs next to nil on the AX100.

Hardware-wise they are a bit different with the X70 having a few control facilities geared to professional use.

A lot depends on what the cameras will be used for. For me, choosing the AX100 would no brainer as most of my clients and audience are neither sophisticated enough to be fussy about the technical aspects in the videos they see nor would they even care.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
There's another option which is the Sony HDR-CX900. It's essentially the AX100 minus 4K and I believe it now sells at more or less a similar price compared to the Canon G30. I have only seen some online samples from the G30 but never used one. Some online testers say the CX900 has much better sensitivity and that makes sense considering the difference in sensor size. But the sensor on the G30 is a true video sensor, as opposed to the 20M pixel 1" hybrid on the CX900, with about only 3M pixels total so in terms of pixel size it's not that much different from the CX900. The smaller sensor on the G30 also allows it to have a much better optical zoom range, 20x vs 12x on the Sony. So it depends on your priority.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts