AVS Forum banner

101 - 106 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
In general I'm very happy with my AX53 but I do have problems tracking moving objects through the viewfinder, particularly in bright lighting conditions. I wear glasses so get light 'leakage' round the edges of the standard viewfinder which aggravates matters. I have been searching extensively, without success, for a larger flexible eyecup to fit the AX53 to solve this problem. Is there anything out there I can buy (preferably from the UK)?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

David
This is 18 months later, but may still be of interest to some. I recently chose a Sony AX53, after a long consideration, as being the best for my purposes. I also was unable to find a simple rubber eyecup that wasn't specifically intended for a particular camera. So I took a look at my old Canon L1 camcorder and found that its removable eyecup was perfect for the AX53. I experimented to find the best position, which I found was slightly tilted up and to the left on the EVF. I used some shoe-goo underneath, to lock it in place. So it is possible to browse around among many different brands of cameras and camcorders and find an eyecup that may work. A camera store that has lots of used equipment (if such a place still exists) might be a good place to look. Check out secondhand stores, such as Goodwill or St. Vincent de Paul's, as they may have some shelves with odd camera parts on them.

·
Registered
417 Posts
How Many Sensor Pixels Does a Sony AX53 Really Have?

I've been using a Sony AX53 for several days and I have a speculation about its sensor. I suspect that it has only 8.2 active Megapixels and that the 16.2 photos it records are extrapolated from the smaller number by a type of digital processing. If it uses the common type of an 8.2-MP sensor-crop to produce the 4K video image from a 16.2-MP CMOS, why doesn't it also give it an expanded zoom-effect in that mode? Only those advanced cameras that use a full-sensor read-out to derive a 4K image, would not get that added zoom-effect. Also, the 8.2-MP photos I've been taking seem to have a slight edge in quality over the 16.2-MP ones. I'd appreciate hearing arguments to the contrary.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Does the AX53 Display Elapsed Time When Shooting Video?

I can't get a readout of the running time when I'm shooting videos. Is there something I can do to activate that? I've got firmware version 1.02.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I'm Enjoying My AX53---with Pictures

I've been busy practicing with my new AX53 this past week and think I may have figured out many ways to get the best from it. I'd be preaching to the choir here, if I told how great its image-stabilization is. I've spent many years developing a series of shoulder-mounts, to stabilize cameras and its B.O.S.S. system makes them all obsolete. Just a 10-inch long handgrip is all I need. I mentioned earlier that I'd taken an eyecup off an old camcorder and attached it with shoe-goo. It makes things very nice and comfortable for my eye. I've found that it needs to be cocked inward on the left and top, to fit best. With my large Wasabi FV100 batteries, the eyecup allows them to not interfere with using the EVF. Here are a couple of photos I've taken. The Moon shot was done with a Sony 1.7X telex, attached with a 55-58mm step-ring. It allows for good autofocus performance, although it vignettes below 50% full zoom. I get the equivalent of 911mm with it.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50053087781_bd0aa2d3ed_h.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50077116821_cd32ece524_h.jpg

Here's a link to my Flickr album and more photos and a video:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

·
Registered
417 Posts
Shutter Speed Shown for AX53 Doesn't Seem Correct

I've taken a number of still photos with my AX53, that have fast-moving subjects in them. They are sharp and unblurred, but the EXIF shows a slow shutter of 1/60. Below is a link to one such photo. There's a girl running fast across the scene and her image is very sharp. But the shutter shows as 1/60. Could this be the fault of the EXIF reader on Flickr? Has anyone else noticed this with the AX53?

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50070917231_f38b8fd376_k.jpg

101 - 106 of 106 Posts