AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - Just bought(and am presently returning) my first Receiver - a Sony DG810. I had this surprise situation - even though it had 3 HDMI, 3 component & 3 Composite inputs - the HDMI inputs OVER-RIDE the component & composite ins - so after 3 devices your sunk! Here I thought I'd have 9 TOTAL inputs - and I was only getting 3. Heck - my TV has 10 inputs or so - and here I'm trading down to 3... (Not sure if this is the norm-or it's a SONY exclusive on retardedness) So - I need some real world help here - I need a 5.1 receiver with at least 3 HDMI ins, 2 component ins & 2 composite ins - where they don't cancel each other out. Not gonna play it real loud either. Thanks so much! Deca

·
Banned
362 Posts
I don't see what the problem is. In most, if not all receivers, you can only choose one set of inputs for any particular device at a time - for example, the SAT input might have the ability to connect HDMI, component, or composite, but that doesn't mean you can use all 3 at once. This isn't unique to Sony.

My old receiver had optical and coaxial digital inputs for DVD, but that didn't mean you could use both inputs at the same time. You had to choose one or the other in the receiver settings.

Your best bet would be to find a receiver that has as many as or more than the number of device inputs you need.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Interpol - The problem is - once I connect my 3 HDMI devices I am totally out of inputs and cannot add any more devices as they will NOT work at all with the HDMI connected.

·
Banned
362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by decapad /forum/post/12861387

Hi Interpol - The problem is - once I connect my 3 HDMI devices I am totally out of inputs and cannot add any more devices as they will NOT work at all with the HDMI connected.

What do you have connected via HDMI, and what other A/V devices do you need to add?

Looking at the rear panel of your receiver, it appears that in addition to the SAT, DVD, and VIDEO 2/BD HDMI inputs, you also have analog audio inputs for TV, SACD/CD/CDR, digital and analog audio inputs for VIDEO 1, as well as a component video input for VIDEO 1.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have 2 satellite systems, Xbox 360, wii, cable, 2 dvd players - so I need inputs with video.

·
Banned
362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by decapad /forum/post/12861493

I have 2 satellite systems, Xbox 360, cable, 2 dvd players - so I need inputs with video.

Need more information than that. Which devices have HDMI outputs?

The bottom line is, the Sony 810 can only handle a maximum of 4 video sources - SAT, DVD, VIDEO 1, and VIDEO 2. You'll have to decide which ones you want to switch via the receiver and which you just connect directly up to your TV. If your TV really does have 10 inputs then it shouldn't be a problem. Just route the video from the extra devices to your TV and the audio to the receiver.

·
Banned
362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by decapad /forum/post/12861541

Cable, Xbox, DVD, Satellite

OK. I would connect things this way:

XBox: connect to receiver via HDMI

DVD #1: connect to receiver via HDMI

Last HDMI input: pick one cable or satellite box

VIDEO 1 component input: pick any of the remaining devices that has component video outputs

As for the remaining devices, connect their video outputs directly to the TV. You will have the following audio inputs remaining on the receiver:

2 optical digital

1 coaxial digital

2 analog L/R RCA

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
You could buy an HDMI Multi-switch or a Multi A/V switcher with Component cable interface and optical? These will come with a remote control. You probably would want to buy a programmable remote that can do macros.

Sorry that is the only thing I could come with.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts