DetailValue
BindingElectronics
BrandSony
EAN0027242858411
FeaturePremium Design & built-in Wi-Fi with superior range and strength
100+ streaming apps: Netflix, HuluPlus, Amazon Instant Video, Pandora & more
Full HD 1080p Blu-ray Disc 3D playback with 2D to 3D conversion
Throw content to your TV from your tablet with TV SideView
I/P noise reduction helps eliminate excess noise for a better viewing experience
Item Height1.6 inches
Item Length7.8 inches
Item Width14.1 inches
LabelSony
ManufacturerSony
MPNBDP-S5100
Package Height1 inches
Package Length1 inches
Package Weight3.75 pounds
Package Width1 inches
PackageQuantity1
PartNumberBDP-S5100
ProductGroupHome Theater
ProductTypeNameDVD_PLAYER_OR_RECORDER
PublisherSony
StudioSony
TitleSony BDP-S5100 3D Blu-ray Disc Player with Wi-Fi
UPC027242858411
UPCList - UPCListElement027242858411
Item Weight2.8 pounds
CatalogNumberList - CatalogNumberListElementBDP-S5100
ModelBDP-S5100

Attachments

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
The Sony BDP-5100 does everything you'd expect and does it very well ata terrific price.

review by andy sullivan

If you're looking for a blu-ray player with most of the smart features, provides a very good picture and sound field, looks great in 3D, then look no further in the under $150 price range. It doesn't take up a lot of space, has a nice easy to use menu along with a nice compact remote. I will certainly miss the SD card slot (my only down grade) on my Panasonic (which I'm keeping for just that feature). I went with the Sony BDP-S5100 because I upgraded to a 3D TV and I am very impressed with the 3D picture. If you're on a reasonable budget and want 3D with a smart blu-ray player this Sony should leave you with a big fat smile on your face.

ProsCons
Top notch picture and top notch 3D. Loads fast and smoothly. Very light and has a small footprint. Can be had for under $110. The pro of light weight also makes it feel unsubstantial and a bit cheap. No SD card slot. Not flat on top.

Ratings
Design5
Features4
Video Quality5
Audio Quality5
Remote5
Value5
Overall4

·
Registered
62 Posts
Good solid player

review by kamgol

I've only had this player for a few days, but have played around with it quite a bit over the weekend. I'll preface my review experience by saying that this is my first blu-ray player, so I have nothing to baseline it against.

The player loads very quickly upon power up. Compared to the load time on my Oppo 971h DVD player, it's a race car. The picture and sound quality are top notch, as expected. I did not experience any glitches during playback and the 7.1 surround sound is truly immersive. The wifi setup was very easy and I was able to quickly download an update to the firmware and be up and running in a short time.

There are the typical selection of apps avaiable for streaming: Netflix, Amazon instant video, Youtube, Hulu+, Vudu, etc. I tried out Netflix first and the HD streaming was flawless, with no interruptions or lags. I had a similar experience with Amazon. I'm a Prime member, so as soon as I logged in, I saw my saved items in the queue. There was a small delay with the Amazon app as I navigated through the choices and menus. I did not experience this with Netflix.

I also tried Pandora and went through several playlists throughout the day. Again, like the Amazon app, I experience some delays here and there, but nothing too annoying. The songs however, seemed to play with no issues.

The one area that is somewhat annoying is the menu and keyboard options. I'm hoping to remedy the latter with a USB keyboard, but have not tested that yet. The menu seems a bit dark and scrolling through the huge list of apps for video and audio is not ideal in the current arrangement. I've also experienced some sub-menus that don't display a "back" or "return" button. It appears as if you're stranded at the end of some menu.

The physical size of the player is rather small, which is nice if you're fighting for room in your electronics cabinet. It is somewhat difficult to stack another device on top of it since it has that prism design. The build quality seems rather cheap for a player that's supposed to be a flagship model.

Overall, I'm very pleased with this device so far and I'd say it's a solid contender. I may provide an update in a couple of months after extended use.

ProsCons
Quick setup, great picture quality, lots of appsMenu screen is a bit too dark, BD player a bit noisy

Ratings
Design4
Features4
Video Quality5
Audio Quality4
Remote2
Value4
Overall4

·
Photographer
I have a nice display and a good sound system
17,666 Posts
Sony's BDP-S5100 - Everything I Need: Fast Blu-ray Loading, Impressive WiFi Speed and Streaming Quality

review by imagic

When it comes to high-definition video technologies, I am an early adopter-which makes it a bit odd that I picked up Sony's BDP-S5100 yesterday. I'm very happy I did, because it is a really great performer that addresses many of my complaints about Blu-ray players. Surprisingly, the Sony player also improved my online-delivery experience, especially the quality of Netflix HD content.

Until last week, I relied on a PS3 for most Blu-ray playback. My first PlayStation 3 was also my first Blu-ray player; I bought it shortly after it was launched. My most recent unit was the recently released "super slim" model, which did not impress me with its build quality or functionality. The sliding-door disc loading and the obnoxiously loud fan seemed inexcusable for a device that still costs almost $300. Out of impatience, I sold it on eBay, vowing to use my PC for Blu-ray playback while waiting for the next generation of consoles to hit store shelves.

The PC-only viewing approach was a failure; while trying to watch House of Cards, I ran into compatibility issues with the main menu. It became apparent that I would need a Blu-ray player to hold me over until the new consoles became available.

I jumped on my electric bicycle and took a trip down to my local Best Buy in South Philadelphia. I took a gander at the latest 3D Blu-ray players-I have a 55" 3D Vizio television, and I do enjoy 3D-so that feature was not one I was going to leave out just to save a few dollars. Among the major-brand players that were available, Sony's was the most expensive. On a different day, that could have changed, depending on which player was on sale. I decided to spend $20 more than an equivalent Samsung and $10 more than an equivalent Panasonic. If nothing else, I knew that the new Sony Blu-ray players have a similar menu structure to the PlayStation 3. I've seen Samsung's Smart Hub, and I was not interested in that interface.

The two things I wanted from the player were quality and speed. I'm happy to report that the BDP-S5100 provides both in abundance. I was especially impressed with Blu-ray loading times, which seemed to be several times faster than my previous machine. Equally important, the speed of the Wi-Fi connection is also much better than a my old unit, as well as the built-in Wi-Fi on my television. This new Blu-ray player had no problem achieving the highest level of quality from Vudu and Netflix using a wireless connection; with my older gear, I had to use an Ethernet cable to maintain maximum quality streams.

The initial setup was fast and easy-the player found my network, connected, and updated itself quite rapidly. Once that was done, configuration was a snap, especially for those familiar with the PlayStation interface. Either way, it's very well thought out and very simple at the same time.

And then came the big surprise: Netflix looked better than I've ever seen it on any other platform. When I decided to buy this machine, I was writing a comparison between Blu-ray, Netflix, Amazon, and Vudu-I had been paying close attention to the discrepancy in quality between Netflix HD and Blu-ray. This new machine rendered Netflix video without the obvious banding that I had seen when using the PlayStation 3, which is the number one non-PC platform for Netflix viewing. With this new player, proper film cadence was maintained, and quite frankly, it looked and sounded great. It's the best decoding I've seen yet for online delivery. And all this through Wi-Fi-honestly, I've never had luck like this with any other device. The price-performance ratio for this Blu-ray player is quite amazing!

With Sony's new S5100 Blu-ray player, what you get-for the cost of a night out at the movies for a family of four-is one truly impressive machine. Who knows, when the PlayStation 4 comes out, I might even keep this player around.

ProsCons
Fast disc loading. Great image quality, notably good streaming via Wi-Fi . Quieter than the PS3 Super Slim.4K is right around the corner, mediocre remote.

Ratings
Design4
Features4
Video Quality5
Audio Quality5
Remote3
Value4
Overall4

·
Registered
735 Posts
Sony's BDP-S5100 - Everything I Need: Fast Blu-ray Loading, Impressive WiFi Speed and Streaming Quality

review by imagic
"Cons: 4K is right around the corner" what planet are you from? 4K is way off in the distance.
only a few displays have been released no "real" delivery format and unless you have a 80" or larger screen your not gonna get any real picture improvement. see the ad below buy a Oppo!

·
Photographer
I have a nice display and a good sound system
17,666 Posts

review by imagic
"4K is way off in the distance. only a few displays have been released no "real" delivery format and unless you have a 80" or larger screen your not gonna get any real picture improvement."

You can absolutely see the improvement in 4K, frankly you can see it on any size screen, because it's the viewing angle that matters. In a smaller room, a 55" 2160p UHDTV will look identical-in terms of enhanced detail-to an 80" model in a larger room. The main variable is people's eyesight.

2160p video is already streaming on youtube, Netflix will be streaming House of Cards in 2160p soon enough. Most importantly, the new consoles from Microsoft and Sony will democratize 2160p streaming movies. Sony has already announced plans for an online store this year. That's the very definition of "right around the corner." The PS4 is to 2160p what the PS3 was to Blu-ray.

·
Registered
38 Posts

review by imagic
I have yet to be able to get the 5100 to output 5.1 sound from Amazon streaming. Blurays play fine, and I don't have Netflix streaming. The sound on Amazon is always down converted to pro-logic. My wifi is averaging 10 to 17mbps, and my older Roku XDS plays Amazon Streaming in 5.1. Yes, the movies I am trying have 5.1 sound. Does anyone have any ideas.

·
Registered
42 Posts

review by imagic
"Cons: 4K is right around the corner"

So?!? You can afford a $5000+ 4K TV, and to feed that 4K display, you're going to go for a $100 player??? Seriously? This is a mainstream Blu-Ray player, lack of 4K output with a player this cheap is a non-issue, not a con. I LOL at the things I read sometimes.

·
Registered
43 Posts

review by imagic
Does it support Amazon Prime Video, or just the fee per view? Big issue for me.

·
Registered
43 Posts

review by imagic
It bugs me no end that TIVO has Amazon video without Prime. On this unit it having Prime is a plus. Only downside I see is that there is no audio optical output.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts