AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a straight forward question, Which Sony receiver would be the best for the Sony Blu-Ray S300 player? money is a issue. I not loaded. lol

I have a Sony AVR now 5.1. I have been looking at the DDW995 and the 710. I like the 995 mainly because it comes with the speakers, I don't have a sub woofer yet.

Thx Semore

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I wouldn't buy anything Sony that came with speakers. But I understand, if you have a tight budget. The 810 and 910 had 3 HDMI inputs which is nice. And they would appear to support PCM. They are rated at %1 THD, which is a bit high, which means they probably don't have a lot of power.

I would certainly encourage you to look at Onkyo, Harmon Kardon, and Onkyo receivers.

Onkyo, in particular, has the 605 model which has a ton of features. It's power rating is 90watts, but it's THD is much better, and that's with two channels driven. There's a long thread about it.

I like Yamaha myself, and the RX-V661 looks nice. It's HDMI inputs are limited, I believe it only has two. It's underfeatured, but Yamaha products are pretty solid, so I thought I would mention it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking about using my optical inputs other then the HDMI. This would prevent me from having to buy another HDMI cable feeding the TV from the A/V. My TV has 2 HDMI inputs. I am running that way now.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
That opens up your options.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I understand what I was reading from the other posting that the optical and hdmi audio inputs carry the same type of signal 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 DD/DTS and the other formats.

·
Registered
498 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by semore /forum/post/12914197

If I understand what I was reading from the other posting that the optical and hdmi audio inputs carry the same type of signal 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 DD/DTS and the other formats.

With optical only, you'd miss out on any chance to hear the new audio formats (PCM, Dolby True HD DTS-MA). You need HDMI for that. But seriously, check out Monoprice.com for an HDMI cable. Its worth a few bucks!

Also, I too would avoid Sony speakers. if you need a sub, check the sub forum and try a couple of searches (first, search for "Dayton" then search for "budget", both should bring back lots of good posts). With the money you save on the HDMI cable, you can afford to get a sub! Check out the Dayton Audio subs from Parts Express .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So from what I am understanding is that the best course is to buy the STR-DG710 and buy a sub woofer. This some thing I can do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts