AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Best Buy has the 40" KDL-40V5100 for $949.99 right now and the 46" KDL-46S5100 for $999.99.

The smaller TV is 120Hz and the larger is only 60Hz.

Is the 6" of screen worth $50 and a loss of half of the 120Hz of the smaller tv?

This is about at most what I'm willing to spend. I like the fact that the Sony Bravia can be controlled by the Bravia home theaters. But, I'd be willing to look into a Samsung.

This is my first new TV in 4 years. I'm using a 32" Philips flat CRT HDTV 1080.

I just recently decided to connect my pc to it and it has no HDMI and really nothing compatible with the PC's DVI outputs.

I plan on watching Blu Rays from the PC as well as HDTV through DirectV.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Bigger is always better when it comes to screen size.

Most people don't see a difference between 60 and 120 hz sets. Kind of like trying to see a difference in picture quality between 720p and 1080p sets a year or so ago.

Manufacturers have to have something new to sell and 120/240hz is it this year. Next year you probably will need 480/960hz or your picture will be antiquated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I just came back from looking at them. I had just realized the Samsungs are probably better even though they cost much much more.

I didn't notice a difference in the two speeds while they were playing a stupid streaming nature show. What I did notice is that on the Samsungs they split the screen and show you how much better the anti blurring and 120hz is on the Samsungs. They had one set up to show the difference in more than the ticker tape along the bottom. I knew they were full of crap. I called the rep on it. I told him I know they can transmit a split screen image and MAKE one blurrier than the other. He admitted that it's a bit doctored.

He said he can't notice the difference in 120 over 60. BUT he did say he'd go with the smaller TV with the higher quality.

I'm not sure what to do now. All of the LCDs seemed pretty crappy compared to a CRT but that's how it goes I guess.

Yeah, I know they are just pushing the new 120 and 240 and next year will probably be 480 but then the 60 will be 1/8 of the new speed and not half or 1/4. Go another year and you'll double that value again and I kept this last tv for 5 years.

I dunno...

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
The demo mode on the Samsung is totally bogus. I was at Sam's Club recently, killing time while the wife did some shopping. The line of HDTVs had one Samsung running the demo mode of the same feed that was on the other sets. No set, regardless of settings, 60 - 120 -240 hz looked as bad as the Samsung demo of the amp feature turned off.

Silly of them to fake this, as their TVs are good, really good in clarity.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts