Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. BE2 is fine. Leave it alone.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the hopes that Sony sees this and as suggested in one of the owner threads, I wanted to start this thread to point out bugs, annoyances, and missing features of Bravia Engine 2 based TVs including V4100, W4100, Z4100, XBR6, XBR7.

Please state your BE2 model and firmware, and post your suggestions. And also please sign the poll/petition to see how many people are interested in these changes.

Here is the list so far:
  1. (Fixed in 194r+) Fix sparkles.
  2. (Fixed in 194r+) Fix audio-drop outs.
  3. Option to enable/disable auto-dimming.
  4. Option to enable/disable intentional blur/softening filter in Video mode, and 1080/24p mode.
  5. Option to enable/disable Game mode from the pop-up OPTIONS screen.
  6. Fix overlap of the word MUTING with the closed-caption text.
  7. Fix sporadic long delay of Info Banner.
  8. Fix overscan of 720p sources.
  9. Add remote code to enable/disable Game Mode.
  10. Add remote code to enable/disable Internal Speakers.
  11. Allow picture settings changes in Freeze mode.
Contributors:

- chopin952

- haydonavsforum

- Korat

- mr.kobayashi

- asi7

Known firmware versions and issue speculation:
  • GT-D-II-B-BN: Stock: Sparkles problems, Sharp, motion problems. (release - 9/2008).
  • HH-D-QM-B-CJ: 194r: Sparkles fixed, Blurry, motion problems fixed.
  • HL-D-QM-B-CL: 200r: Sparkles fixed, Sharp, motion problems returned.
  • HM-D-QN-B-CO: 202r: Sparkles fixed, Blurry, motion problems fixed.
  • HM-F-QN-B-CO: Stock: 202r (12/2008 - 2/2009)
  • HN-F-QN-B-CO: 203r: Unknown effects (2/2009 - present)
Details regarding specific issues:

4. Intentional Blur: Here is an example of the intentional blur in Video mode. Thanks to haydonavsforum for discovering this issue. haydon, I took the liberty of using your image. If you would like me to remove it, let me know. As you can see Photo mode clears up the blur. However Photo mode is not adequate since it disables any kind of motion features. And on 120Hz models, BluRay 24p is considered a motion feature and thus is blurred.

For Windows Users, here are some steps to test out the blur issue using a PS3 and a USB memory stick:
  1. Take a screenshot of any window with Alt+PrintScreen. Your internet browser will suffice.
  2. Launch Microsoft Paint through Start => Programs => Accessories => Paint.
  3. Select Image => Attributes from the menu.
  4. Type In 1920 x 1080 for Width and Height and press OK.
  5. Paste the screenshot into the blank canvas with Ctrl+V or Edit => Paste.
  6. Save the Image as a PNG (Save as Type) to avoid lossy compression. Don't use JPG.
  7. Copy the PNG to your USB memory stick.
  8. Plugin the USB memory stick to the PS3.
  9. Make sure the PS3 is running at 1080p in Settings => Display Settings => Video Output Settings.
  10. Navigate to the Photo section of the PS3 XMB.
  11. Scroll down to the USB Device (STORAGE DEVICE).
  12. Press the Triangle button and select "Display All".
  13. Find your screenshot PNG in the list and press the X button.

The image should show up perfectly at 1920x1080. If it doesn't, use the right thumb stick to zoom in and out to view it at 100% zoom. And if it shows up rotated, use the R2 button to rotate it into view correctly.

Now with the TV remote:
  1. Set the current HDMI INPUT to Photo Mode through Settings => Picture => Video/Photo Optimizer
  2. Make sure the HDMI INPUT is set to Wide Mode = Full and Display Area = Full Pixel in Screen settings.
  3. Back out to view the image.
  4. The image should be crisp and clear as if you were looking at it on your computer monitor.
  5. Now look closely at the text and toggle the THEATER button to go back and forth from Photo to Video Mode. THEATER mode starts off in Cinema mode, but you can switch to other modes using the PICTURE button.
  6. You should now see the blur filter being applied to the image.
  7. Make sure sharpness is the same (around 10) in the picture modes you are trying and turn off noise reduction settings.

At first glance it doesn't seem terrible, but then you realize that BluRays or any other content you watch in Video Mode aren't being shown perfectly as they were mastered. They are being altered.

Also notice how turning up sharpness doesn't restore the image to crisp perfect pixel. As mentioned earlier in the thread, it's sharpening a blurred image! To me this is not full 1080p support. I would be satisfied with Photo mode if it would properly handle Film Modes, 24p, and allow me to use MotionFlow and Game Mode. Alas, those are all disabled.

If anyone trying these steps sees a crisp unaltered image in both Photo and Video Mode, please tell us what model TV and firmware version you have.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Here's a strong endorsement for (3); the auto-dimming is really annoying. (7) is pretty annoying, too. How long do we need to see that banner for anyway? Five seconds or so ought to be sufficient.

I have a KDL-40V3000, so I don't know if I'm on "BE2," but these issues arise on my set as well.

I'd really like to see real picture-in-picture rather than the side-by-side display we have now. And why are only some inputs active in one or the other window?

·
Registered
49 Posts
add:

fix the red smear

I watched the batman dark night blu ray and no (or extremely rare) red so it is the processing and not the panel (my blu ray sends 1080p whereas my other sources send 1080i or 720p)

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm. I haven't noticed red smear. Is there a particular scene in Dark Knight or other movie where it is especially noticeable?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kobayashi /forum/post/15580499

12. add remote code for sleep function (it's on the W/Z4100 but not the XBR?)

Thanks for the addition. I don't have a programmable universal remote. Are you positive about that one?

·
Registered
20 Posts
i just watch ufc 93 and it suck ... i should never had buy and never will get a lcd ever again ...i should had get the plasma at the time but i though sony was good and i though lcd blur were fix and i wanted 2 inch more ..so i got bravia 52 v 4100 what a desapointment ...and no i cannot return it as its been almost 6 month since purchase ...

·
Registered
49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopin952 /forum/post/15580779

Hmm. I haven't noticed red smear. Is there a particular scene in Dark Knight or other movie where it is especially noticeable?

not noticeable really in blu ray - but very when I watch TV (I have directv). When it is there, usually apprears on the hair line when the person moves their head fast enough. I saw it on NCIS but not on Stargate SG1.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopin952 /forum/post/15580785

Thanks for the addition. I don't have a programmable universal remote. Are you positive about that one?

Not 100% sure on the Z but the W and V have one:

icanhaz[dot]com[slash]remotew4100

·
Banned
2,257 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabbas01 /forum/post/15581612

There is no blurring on my 52xbr6, i have even posted pictures......

are you sure it has no blurring specifically on VIDEO MODE?

If so,which firmware are you on?

·
Registered
115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper2847 /forum/post/15584074

are you sure it has no blurring specifically on VIDEO MODE?

If so,which firmware are you on?

Yes I am sure, I checked twice. I am on 202r firmware. I posted a pic of samsung 650 and to me that t.v looks worse than xbr6. So in my opinion, BE2 is great performance wise.

·
Registered
80 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabbas01 /forum/post/15584426

Yes I am sure, I checked twice. I am on 202r firmware. I posted a pic of samsung 650 and to me that t.v looks worse than xbr6. So in my opinion, BE2 is great performance wise.

Hi fabbas, just checked your picture in the blurring thread. It's very hard to tell one way or the other from that photo because the photo itself is a bit soft. The toughest challenge for the BE2 is the pattern on the bottom half of the halftone image. Try taking a very very steady and clear photo of that.

·
Registered
80 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlick /forum/post/15581364

What does anyone expect this thread to accomplish, other than exacerbate buyers remorse?

Perhaps prevent others from experiencing buyer's remorse? Or maybe give owners a common language when talking to customer support so the problems may eventually be resolved? I think it serves more purposes other than to whine.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydonavsforum /forum/post/15585726

Perhaps prevent others from experiencing buyer's remorse? Or maybe give owners a common language when talking to customer support so the problems may eventually be resolved? I think it serves more purposes other than to whine.

Looking at it from an objective perspective, the only legitimate complaint, is the muting overlay, covering captioning info, as I haven't investigated the "intentional blur" claim. Some other requests/complaints have been the way Sony tv's have operated since the xbr 2/3 series (2 years ago). Fact is, if it hasn't changed since then, it's unlikely a thread on an internet forum will make a difference. The remote code requests aren't Sonys problem. If you choose to use a universal remote, as opposed to the Sony supplied remote, (yes I realize most people use universal remotes, myself included) any discrete codes should be asked of the remote manufacturer. Besides, a macro could easily be programmed to switch to input "x" , and then turn on game mode, or deal with the speakers. It just seems to me that people expect one button instant gratification, instead of doing a little trial and error remote programming.

Just saying...

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Knowing Sony, they probably will fix it in BE3 and 2009 models and tell us to go buy that...

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The remote code requests are so that the TV responds to a new code for Sony Bravia Game mode ON/OFF for example. What does that have to do with the universal remote manufacturer?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc /forum/post/15586364

Knowing Sony, they probably will fix it in BE3 and 2009 models and tell us to go buy that...

You're probably right. I'm not not holding my breath, but maybe they aren't aware of some of these issues even for BE3 and word could get back to fix them.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
720p overscan? really? Pinch me if we're not in 2009. sigh.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts