AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I just upgraded my Sharp Projector (720P) to a new Sony Bravia (1080P)...

I'm using a Denon AVR-4806 receiver that I bought about 4 years ago....

Here's the problem, I just got into the world of Blue Ray Players now that I have a 1080P projector... the problem is, my Insignia Blue Ray Player wont play 1080P!!! It only plays 1080i. Whenever I switch the resolution on the Blue Ray Player to 1080P the screen goes all screwy! Half green and lots of pixelation...

Does the 4806 not support 1080P? I read the manual, I can't make heads or tails of it, but it does list 1080P in their charts. In the 4806 "set up" there's a section for HDMI Output, something about "convert"... I tried it both in the On and Off state and it doesn't make a difference.

I tried different HDMI cables, all have the same problem... I tried the Insignia on my new 46" Sony 1080P LCD TV and the Blue Ray Player works just fine on it in 1080P so I know its not the BRP.... its gotta be the 4806?

If the 4806 doesn't support 1080P, to save me $4000 on another Denon receiver, is there any kind of "scaler" (If thats the right term) that I can plug in between the outgoing HDMI into the new box then into the projector?

Thanks,

MArk

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry to take up bandwidth fellas... I just called Denon...

They said my 4806 does not support 1080P, but the good news is its only a $500 upgrade and they'll get me 1080P, internet music, and some other upgrade too. At least I don't have to shell out a few thousand for a new receiver (YET)....

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have the denon 4806 .It won't support a 1080p 60hz signal.there was a $500

upgrade from denon to remedy this.however, the reciever will pass a 1080p 24hz signal .If you can set your insignia to this setting it should work.You could also let the sony projector deinterlace the 1080i signal from the player,the sony does have a decent deinterlacer.another option would to feed the projector directly from the player with hdmi and use optical or coaxial digital out to the 4806.Ihave a dvdo edge which feeds my projector directly and also has a hdmi audio only output in which i feed my 4806,I love this set up.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Connect your BD player directly into your PJ and see if you experience the same problem. If you don't then you know you have something going on with your AVR. Looking at the Denon website there appears that some sort of upgrade to 1080p that took place with this AVR, and maybe something you want ask other owners in the dedicated thread for this particular AVR. More than likely it may just be the receiver, and may result in sending it in or an upgrade. The joy of HDMI, I tell ya.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks fellas, nope... its the 4806 that's not supporting 1080P...

I thought about running another HDMI cable up to the projector as you suggested as the Bravia has two HDMI inputs.... but the problem is, I still need 1080P for my XBOX 360 and for my Satellite Dishnetwork Box...

My dad suggested getting an HDMI switch box, but then I'd have to change not only the switch on the box, but also the 4806.... I have a pretty decent HT and I want it done right and I'm too lazy to get off the chair to turn an HDMI switch.

$500 is nothing to throw away, but its not going to necessarily break me either...

Mark

·
Registered
106 Posts
alll 1080p displays convert 1080i signals and make them 1080p,it does this by

deinterlacing some are better at this than others.the hw15 has a good deinterlacer ,probably better than insignia and xbox.I would bet if you set your source settings to 1080i you would be happy.try it before spending $500 plus expensive shipping (heavy unit).the projector still gives a 1080p image as it's inherent in the projector.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chuck,

Are you saying that when I set the Insignia BRP to 1080i, that my HW15 automatically makes it 1080P even though the screen resolution on the Insignia remote says 1080i?

When I was watching the Celine Dion Las Vegas concert last night, the picture was pretty good at the 1080i setting, but still not as crisp as my 46" Sony LCD TV. I'm using a Stewart Screen Firehawk BTW.

Or is there a setting on the Sony projector that I have to tell it to use deinterlacing, or does it do it automatically?

·
Registered
106 Posts
mark

The only displays that will show an interlaced image are crt's.You will see this in the form of scan lines.Lcd,sxrd/lcos are pixel displays and are progressive by their nature.Your projector has a built in scaler and deinterlacer,make sure the film option for movies, and video for concerts is set.this sets the 3:2 pulldown cadence.you might also experiment by hooking your bd player directly to the projector and change the resolution on your player while observing it.you really can't compare an lcd flat panel to an sxrd/lcos projector.lcd will look sharper due to pixel structure.lcos/sxrd image is perceived to some as softer or what videophiles call filmlike.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not as saavy as some of you guys... but my Dad just found me a $30 3x1 HDMI automatic switcher on Amazon.com

This way, I can run the projectors HDMI into the output... and on the 3 input side, I can run the SAT box, XBOX, and the Blue Ray player into it! And it switches automatically when power is turned on to whatever unit I'm running... all I have to do is run optical audio cables from the units to the receiver and I'm golden and saved $500 bucks!

Yea Me!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
CRAP!

I got my switcher yesterday, and it works fantastic! Switches automatically, and was only a $30 fix.

I just run HDMI's into the switcher and optical audio to the AVR...

But! Here's the problem... when I run HDMI from the XBOX to switcher, I don't have a way of getting audio to the AVR... I thought, okay I'll just use the big component connector that's got RGB/audio and use that for audio and the HDMI for 1080p to the switcher... that big component plug is so big, it covers up the HDMI port, no way to get an HDMI plug in.

I'm thinking I might be able to run the component cables to my AVR, then use the AVR HDMI out put through the switcher... that should work. But then I sacrifice 1080p for the XBOX, it'll be the same as it was before... So I guess, its how bad do I want 1080P for the XBOX, is it worth $500 bucks and two weeks of down time for Denon to upgrade the receiver...

Me.... Heck yeah, I've got an anal AAA personality, and I want the best absolute picture I can afford...

Sorry for the rant, just ticked I have to spend $500 bucks.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I stand by my explanation that your projector will give you 1080p when you put in a 1080i input. the way it works is either the display converts it or the source converts it .the sony tech is wrong. as an experiment feed the projector with xbox directly and set your resolution to 1080p and then 1080i and compare.

·
Registered
950 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ducati /forum/post/18152361

Sorry to take up bandwidth fellas... I just called Denon...

They said my 4806 does not support 1080P, but the good news is its only a $500 upgrade and they'll get me 1080P, internet music, and some other upgrade too. At least I don't have to shell out a few thousand for a new receiver (YET)....

Are they still upgrading?!

Here in Sweden the upgrades have been...whats the word...been "seased"(?)

But fortunately, my 4806 is one of the few that can output 1080p. But with some problems. Sometimes the picture from my PS3 is very "sparkly". I have to un-tick the 1080 button on my PS3 and confirm. Then I set it to 1080p again. It always work.

When I hit the "info" button on my TV it says "1080p"...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.