AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a Sony Bravia KDL-32L4000 for my summer home and not having adjusted a Sony LCD before (backlight is new to me) wondered if anyone has recommended picture settings? The settings are pretty bare bones: Backlight, Picture, Brightness, Color, Hue, Color Temp, Sharpness, Noise Reduction. I'd mostly be watching films from Satellite and DVD.

Thanks,

Beowulf57

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nobody? I would do it myself if I had my DVE or AVIA discs with me, but no such luck. Any other Sony KDL-32L4000 owners out there?

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
Either they aren't out there, or they aren't talking. Sorry.

I don't have your model, I have the Sony KDL46S4100 so I doubt my settings would work for you---but here is what I have found with mine.

The first thing I did was to reduce the backlight setting by half. What I found is that that helped in producing a really deep black. I have the Picture set at 80 and the Brightness at 70. Color is at 45, Sharpness at 7 and Noise Reduction set to "off".

If you don't have the AVIA disc, check out one of the Star Wars ones. They have THX test screens that can be used to verify your settings.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks Peter...that gives a start as I wasn't sure how to deal with the addition of the adjustable backlight. I'll post results.

Beowulf57

·
Registered
6,779 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf57 /forum/post/14267237

Many thanks Peter...that gives a start as I wasn't sure how to deal with the addition of the adjustable backlight. I'll post results.

Beowulf57

If your model works the same as mine, the backlight adjustment is an important one.

When the backlight is in its "full on" default setting, I see an unevenness when there is a completely black screen. Though this doesn't really affect the actual picture, it looks pretty odd.

In its literature, Sony explains this as the result of using a very powerful backlight to produce the brightness that this set is capable of. That may well be.

However, what I have found is that by knocking the backlight down from its default setting produces a better contrast ratio in general....I don't know if that may also result in an added benefit of extending the life of the backlight itself, but in any case, it is worth doing just for the picture improvement.

What I noticed immediately was that now scenes in space are a very dark black in contrast to the stars. To me, that is very impressive for an LCD panel.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I've settled on backlight at 6, picture at 90 and brightness at 60, colour at 45 for the time being. It looks pretty good for a budget picture! Of course it is a far cry from my ISF calibrated Pioneer Elite Pro-110FD at home...but that cost a wee bit more.

Thanks for the help,

Beowulf57

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can someone please share the settings for the best picture quality for bluray movies and ps3 games on the Sony KDL32L4000. Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorb /forum/post/15050420

I've been searching all over for recommended settings and can't find any anywhere. Anybody?

These are my settings:

BASIC:

ADVANCED:

I use them for any input. My tv is located about 6 feet away from my bed.

I have the "Bravia Engine II" version of the 32L4000. I speak spanish BTW

1 - 13 of 13 Posts