AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a KDL-52VE5 Sony. I am having a couple of minor issues with the set. I can't find any threads addressing this particular model. I also cannot locate service or training manuals for this model or the 40 and 46 inch versions. Is there another Bravia LCD that is close to this model in terms of circuits and boards? I just repaired a Panasonic Plasma TV by studying the service manual and training manuals available at elektrotanya.com. I was hoping to educate myself on the Sony as well.

The minor problems I have are 1) When my Dish receiver is connected to ANY of the HDMI ports after a random period of time the sound cuts out. It will eventually come back on, but cut out again. If I use the 'Component Video In' for the Dish this does not occur. All other devices using the HDMI inputs work fine. 2) Occasionally there are a couple scan lines at the top of the screen that are black with an occasional white section: ______ ___ __ __ __ __________ __

Mainly this occurs during local TV broadcasts and not during major DISH network channels. It's almost like some retrace lines are visible.

Both of these problems have existed since day one. Of course I suspect there is some sort of incompatibility between the Dish and the TV, but none of my other TV's have lost the sound.

Love to find a service manual!

Cheers

·
Registered
5,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanford.douglas /forum/post/21829058

I own a KDL-52VE5 Sony. I am having a couple of minor issues with the set. I can't find any threads addressing this particular model. I also cannot locate service or training manuals for this model or the 40 and 46 inch versions. Is there another Bravia LCD that is close to this model in terms of circuits and boards? I just repaired a Panasonic Plasma TV by studying the service manual and training manuals available at elektrotanya.com. I was hoping to educate myself on the Sony as well.

The minor problems I have are 1) When my Dish receiver is connected to ANY of the HDMI ports after a random period of time the sound cuts out. It will eventually come back on, but cut out again. If I use the 'Component Video In' for the Dish this does not occur. All other devices using the HDMI inputs work fine. 2) Occasionally there are a couple scan lines at the top of the screen that are black with an occasional white section: ______ ___ __ __ __ __________ __

Mainly this occurs during local TV broadcasts and not during major DISH network channels. It's almost like some retrace lines are visible.

Both of these problems have existed since day one. Of course I suspect there is some sort of incompatibility between the Dish and the TV, but none of my other TV's have lost the sound.

Love to find a service manual!

Cheers

I'll address #2 first since it's the easiest fix. Many times this line is visible from local broadcasters when they are broadcasting upconverted 480i program material--it's actually present on all HD sets when they are set to pixel-match mode which eliminates all overscan. If you have the manual go to page 16 which addresses the various aspect ratio modes. At the bottom of the page it describes the effects of the "Full Pixel" mode on your set. If you turn off "Full Pixel" mode there will be enough overscan on most sets to hide that annoying flashing bar. If you don't have the manual you can download it from Sony's website via Customer Support.

That flashing line contains information necessary for things like closed captionning and such--back in the CRT days all sets had enough overscan that it was never visible and station engineers haven't figured out yet that many sets these days can totally eliminate that overscan thus revealing that line.

As for the audio problem it would seem that there is some degree of incompatibility between your Dish box and the tv when using the HDMI connection. If you dig deep enough into the box's settings you may find a setting for digital audio format via HDMI-the choices are usually Dolby Digital or 2 channel PCM. Changing this setting, if it exists on your box, may solve the problem. Otherwise I'd just use Component as it really makes no significant difference in pq and will reliably cure the audio problem. Since all your other HDMI sources are fine I tend to want to blame the box rather than the tv. These incompatibilities used to be a real plague but were fairly rare by the time your set was built. To this day, Comcast installers in my area will automatically use the component connection rather than HDMI to eliminate the possibility of customer dissatisfaction due to any HDMI glitches between their boxes and some tv sets.

Hope this helped.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Turns out there's a firmware upgrade for this set. My level was ER4.11

Corrects the following:

Benefits provided by previous upgrades and included in version ER4.12-E337:

Corrects an issue where an intermittent TV lockup occurs on a certain digital RF channels.

Corrects an issue where an intermittent audio dropout occurs with a cable or satellite box using an HDMI connection.

Corrects an issue where an intermittent red flash or flicker occurs on the face of people with certain videos.

Resolves an issue that may intermittently cause the TV to freeze and stop responding to the Remote Commander® control device when the TV is connected to a digital channel.

Addresses an issue where the picture brightness changes intensity on some scenes.

Note: After the software update, please set Advanced Contrast Enhancer to LOW or OFF to further minimize this characteristic.

Addresses an issue with occasional intermittent operation when using favorites or HDMI-CEC functions.

Corrects an issue where the audio may infrequently be lost while connected via an HDMI connection.

Corrects an issue where there may be audio static when changing analog channels while connected via an RF (coax) connection.

Corrects an issue where the audio may be muted when resuming after using the timer.

Corrects an issue where there may be distorted blocks in the picture caused by incorrect encoding in the broadcast signal.

Corrects an issue where picture files may not show in the USB Photo Viewer after switching to a different input and then back to the USB input.

Improves menu navigation.

I have upgraded.
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...d=7082#install

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After updating my firmware to ER4.12-E337 I was optimistic that my HDMI problems were over. Alas, not so. The DISH receiver no longer drops the sound. Now both the audio and the video cut out intermittently, maybe once ever 2 hours or so. During the short period it cuts out the Sony screen indicates that there is no HDMI input. Not only does the HDMI get lost on the DISH receiver, but my Panasonic Blue Ray does it as well. If I'm using the composite input everything runs fine. Unfortunately there is only 1 composite input.

I'll have to wait for yet another firmware update

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Stanford,

I just wanted to let you know that I've experienced the exact problems you have. I run my Xbox 360 and PS3 HDMI outputs directly into the TV, then I run a fiber optic cable from the TV to the receiver for digital audio.

At first, I too would experience corrupt audio or silence occasionally, but a hard power off and on of the TV would correct it.

I also updated the firmware to the latest version and that seemed to fix the audio problem. It also seemed to fix an issue where the TV wouldn't "see" a powered-on HDMI source (multiple inputs, not just the same one) sometimes without a hard power off and on with the side switch. After this update, I to experience a total loss from the HDMI source, both audio and video, for about 3-5 seconds, then everything comes back on just fine. I've never logged the interval, but 2 hours sounds about right.

I don't have a fix, but I feel better knowing that I'm not alone with this issue. My next step, I suppose, will be to call Sony.

Other than that, I got a great buy on this TV and I'm very happy with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.