1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sony Bravia KDL-52W5150

2 Years Old (Out of Warranty)

Here is a photo with no signal input:

When I turn on the TV, this symptom may first appear or sometime up to 1/2 hour later.

If I turn the TV off, wait a few minutes and turn it back on, it works fine (may have to hit the on/off a couple of times

before it works though).

When the picture goes bad, you can hear a very high pitched noise, otherwise, when the picture is working good, there is no

noise.

Here is a picture with signal:

Lately, it is taking more power on/off cycles to get a good picture.

Are These Symptoms Of A Bad T-Con? or bad connection?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well I found someone with the same issue! This has been happening to me occasionally for 3 weeks . I would turn off and on, sometimes it would work. I would unplug and plug back in, it would work for a short time. Now it will not give me a picture at all. Now I brought up the 32" vizio from the basement. Not a suitable replacement.

I'm going to email [email protected] . We'll see what they say.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri_mar /forum/post/21890568

Well I found someone with the same issue! This has been happening to me occasionally for 3 weeks . I would turn off and on, sometimes it would work. I would unplug and plug back in, it would work for a short time. Now it will not give me a picture at all. Now I brought up the 32" vizio from the basement. Not a suitable replacement.

I'm going to email [email protected] . We'll see what they say.

Let us know the results of your contact with Sony. Thank!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, sony listened, then sony disappointed me.

After having an authorized Sony tech evaluate the TV, he determined the LCD panel was bad and it would cost $3,200 to repair. I relayed that evaluation to sony and, while I suppose they can tell me tough luck, you're out of warranty, I really thought they would do better than offer a refurbished 55hx701 for ~$700.

I just went through this with them in December over a KDS-50A2000. Just about everyone who owned that one had issues with green tint, so they had a replacement program set up. At that time, i was offered a variety of (slightly)discounted models and ended up getting a KDL55EX620 for ~$900

I can't find too many people with this LCD panel issue with this TV. Although consumeraffairs.com/home_electronics/sony_tv.html site has complaints about sets with similar issues.

I guess I really expected a better offer. A new replacement TV for about $500 would have probably had me satisfied. The HX710 has been around for 2 years and from what I've googled, was a Canadian TV that Sony has been repairing and sending out as replacements for various failed sets.

Oh well, I'm not sure what to do. I haven't accepted the offer yet and may very well be done with sony. I do own a busy restaurant though, and I could tell my customers about my last two AWESOME SONY HDTV's.

I also went through their "I have a Defective Sony TV" facebook site

·
Registered
1 Posts
NoECM, I have the same issue as you described except I don;t get the high pitch sound.

I had tried replacing the T-Con board.. but still the same symptom. I also replaced the PS board was hoping already that it will get fix the problem but still the same symptom. I have no idea anymore what else could be wrong. Now debating if I should I triy to replace the other boards. Any idea(s) what could be the problem?

Like what NoECM described: If you turn on the TV, it will have vertical lines like the 1st photo. When you remotely turn off the TV then back on, it is fine.

Now, I will try to return my ordered boards. I wish I could return them.. maybe they will charge me a restocking fee? I hope not.

Does anyone able to fix your tV as like this? Any info as to the correct leads is highly appreicated. thank you in advance!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts