AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sony Bravia KDL40E700 LCD HDTV.

I have an Onkyo HTS3300 Receiver.

Everything works properly, only when I go through the Bravia's menu to play a video off of my laptop, utilizing DLNA on my TV, it does not play through my receiver. It continues to play the cable through the receiver instead of switching to what the TV is now playing.

I'm assuming this is a connection issue so below is how I have my receiver hooked up.

I have my TV>HDMI OUT

CableBox>HDMI 1 IN

Xbox360>HMDI 2 IN

That is how I have my stuff set up, any other details I can provide for you to help me, just let me know.

Thanks in Advance.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I'm really having a hard time understanding what you wrote, but if the laptop is connected directly to the tv, it is bypassing the receiver. I don't know what DLNA is.

Either connect the laptop to the receiver and let it control audio/video or if you prefer connecting the laptop directly to the tv, turn off the receiver.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyad /forum/post/20912774

I'm really having a hard time understanding what you wrote, but if the laptop is connected directly to the tv, it is bypassing the receiver. I don't know what DLNA is.

Either connect the laptop to the receiver and let it control audio/video or if you prefer connecting the laptop directly to the tv, turn off the receiver.

A simple search of DLNA might have cleared that up for you. But it is like instant streaming on Xbox 360. You access your files ( on a laptop ) through the device, not WIRED. I am not connecting a laptop to anything. It is a wireless streaming process.

Let's see if I can clarify. When I am playing regular cable through my TV, the receiver plays the audio just fine. When I am streaming from my TV, the receiver does not play the streamed content, it continues to play what is coming from the cable box. Does this make sense now? Im really sorry if It doesn't I've explained it to the best of my ability.

·
Registered
446 Posts
You need to run your XBox and Cable box into the HDMI inputs on your Onkyo receiver, then run the HDMI out from your receiver to HDMI 1 on your TV. Your TV has ARC (Audio return channel) for HDMI 1 which will send audio back and forth from the TV and receiver, meaning if you use the TV's apps or stream from your PC you can send the sound back to your receiver. Make sense?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackkeys /forum/post/20924155

You need to run your XBox and Cable box into the HDMI inputs on your Onkyo receiver, then run the HDMI out from your receiver to HDMI 1 on your TV. Your TV has ARC (Audio return channel) for HDMI 1 which will send audio back and forth from the TV and receiver, meaning if you use the TV's apps or stream from your PC you can send the sound back to your receiver. Make sense?

It does!

But...that IS how I have it set up.

Xbox >to> Game HDMI input on Receiver

Cable box >to> Cbl HDMI input on Receiver

TV(HDMI 1) >to> TV OUT input on Receiver.

The ARC must not be working correctly, it does not make the proper switch for streaming. I have searched for some such setting on the TV to turn off or disable ARC and I see no way, maybe if I by-pass it with an optical audio cable it might work? I'm not sure. :/

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Set another connection from your TV to your Onkyo. In mine, I had to set it to Games. Whenever I stream, I switch the Onkyo to Games.

Also, I have a Blue-ray player and I can switch my AVR to DVD, and from there, use the player to stream from one of the apps in the BR player and send video and sound to my Onkyo.

I use an old Universal remote. One touch to the DVD selection switches the TV to HDMI 2 and the AVR to DVD/BR.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbphoto615 /forum/post/20923190

A simple search of DLNA might have cleared that up for you. But it is like instant streaming on Xbox 360. You access your files ( on a laptop ) through the device, not WIRED. I am not connecting a laptop to anything. It is a wireless streaming process.

Let's see if I can clarify. When I am playing regular cable through my TV, the receiver plays the audio just fine. When I am streaming from my TV, the receiver does not play the streamed content, it continues to play what is coming from the cable box. Does this make sense now? Im really sorry if It doesn't I've explained it to the best of my ability.

I could have searched, but it I wasn't familar with it anyway so I couldn't offer any advice about it.

I have a different receiver so I don't know what's happening with yours. I have a replaytv that's connected both to my receiver and directly to the tv. I do it like that because only the direct to tv connection gives me closed captioning. But when I'm on the tv connection, I have to turn my receiver off or turn down the volume, because the tv is playing the audio from the receiver and my replaytv is slightly delayed or even paused.

Reading your reply again, you are streaming from the laptop, whether wireless or not, but it's not interfaced with the receiver, so why would the receiver play its audio?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.