AVS Forum banner

141 - 160 of 1418 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Anyone out there that plays xbox 360 on this tv? I cant seem to get the settings right. If anyone out there likes their settings would you mind posting them for me? Thanks.

-AC

·
Registered
2,354 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KING DIRK /forum/post/0

Anyone out there that plays xbox 360 on this tv? I cant seem to get the settings right. If anyone out there likes their settings would you mind posting them for me? Thanks.

-AC

I don't have the 360 but you should make sure you have the game input on Game mode. That is your first step. If you feel like doing some reading there have been a few post earlier with game settings.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by satiger /forum/post/0

Thanks to nuttyinnyc, Nascar Dog and others in the forum. It has wealth of information and really appreciate all of your effort to resolve others issues.

Yes, that vertical green line problem is only with HD and not with SD. I will adjust screen to eliminate that.

Does anyone know the broadcast quality of Time Warner vs Dishnetwork. Currenly, I have TSW and thinking Dish could be better choice since they have many more HD channels. But doesn't satellite broadcast loose its quality (something like native 1080i scaled down to 720p or 720i)?. I don't want to scarify PQ since XBR2/3 supports upto 1080p.

I have TWC, some channels look great some channels leave something to be desired. All my reading and learning has lead me to believe that both SAT give a better signal but there is a price to it. Cable, SAT or OTA isn't ready for this technology yet. The TV's are improving faster then Broadcast companies can upgrade. This will be a problem for years to come.

If you have a couple of extra bucks laying around (probably not since you got this TV, LOL) see if you can get them both installed. My understanding is dish and direct refunds everything if you are not satisfied. But read up on it that might differ per region.

If you go to TWC, dish, or direct TV threads, there is a lot of unhappy consumers so it is up to you to pick your poison. Personally, I have had TWC since 1989. I have lost service a total of no more then 10 days. 2 of those were due to an east coast black out. DTV service is very good on a reg TV, SD on these TV's are night and day. HD WOW!. These TV just amplify the faults of all signals so anything can happen.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

PS Sorry after reading this I think I might have confused you more.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis.js /forum/post/0

According to the manual you should only use the RGB video 9 when connecting a PC. It does say in thier specifically stating not to use DVI or HDMI.

The manual doesn't want you to use the HDMI because the connection is too complex for their CSR's They get confused when you say HDMI. Look at the owners thread and you will see how many times the CRS claim these TV's are HDMI 1.3 ready. Which is not true! This TV can use 1.3 but it doesn't support 1.3(meaning all the sound and color performance upgrades will not be available in this TV)

You can use the HDMI, in theory it is a better connection to use(pure digital) then the (Analog)VGA. The only problem is there a lot of other factors to connecting this TV to a PC that people have to consider. All these things have been brought up in previous post.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Anyone have the Service menu instructions for optimal PQ? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Techy and Techettes Here is my problem. I have had the 40 xbr2 since release dat(aug15) & TWC through NYC.

Everything is great, you will not see me chamging it in anytime soon. Unless someone gives a 52" XBR 3 offer that blows me away

Ok enough of the nicesties. He is the problem, I have been hearing sounds coming from each channel of the TV, it is like the cable company is sharing bandwith so they can transfer more channels for less. The sound is drowned out when I turn the volume to the show I wanted to watch loud. Has anybody, in the NY area or anywhere else have this issue, It can be very annoying and I think it might lead my TV to have a bad PQ or just worse then what I can get. My channels look good already but that noise makes me wonder.

Any technical terms or noobie tech solutions will be greatly appreciated.

I have the TWC main feed into the house, that feed is split into (1.5 gightz spliter) 2 one sony wega 36" flat screen the other side is used for my 40xbr2. I am using HDMI for DVD & cable Box on the 40" the cable is hooked up coaxial right from box to the VCR then 36" TV,

Everything appears to be good is there anyimprovement that I cn do. Remember I try to use the better cables that are availible. Sound come thru is there any pro's out there that can help with this. Get as techno as needed because it is good to learn the lingo, But if you can tone it down so I can understand wat I need to fix. I know I am in the right place. Plase don't disappoint. Thanx guys

·
Registered
1,174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis.js /forum/post/0

According to the manual you should only use the RGB video 9 when connecting a PC. It does say in thier specifically stating not to use DVI or HDMI.

Actually, one of the HDMI's is specifically for DVI -- the one with the audio jacks.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Anyone else got any good xbox 360 settings? I think I'll use them for a basis on my PS3.

Also is vga and svga use same cable.

·
Registered
14 Posts
For 360 video games, I leave it on Standard.

Try these settings and let me know how they work for you:

Backlight: 3

Picture: 93

Brightness: 55

Color: 55

Sharpness: 40

Game Mode: On

To me, these settings get a good balance of picture quality accross multiple games. Of course, there are still differences due to lack of any picture standards in the gaming industry. Some games allow you to make brightness adjustments in the options menu. Gears of War actually comes with different picture modes (default, soft, lucid, vibrant) as well as a brightness meter. Many people recommend using the vibrant setting to get that color "pop".

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Let me start off by saying that I am completely stunned in the difference

before and after calibration. It is 100% worth the money and I highly recommend a calibration to anyone who has the means.

Inputs Calibrated:

Toshiba HD-A1 HD-DVD player (HDMI to HDMI)

Scientific Atlanta 4200HD Cable Box (DVI to HDMI)

XBOX 360 (Component)

The Toshiba and the cable box were both digital connections and were calibrated

to the following settings:

Picture Mode: Custom

Backlight: 2

Picture: 80

Brightness: 51

Color: 45

HUE: G1

Color Temp.: Warm 1

Sharpness: 25

Noise Red.: Off

DRC Mode: Mode 1

DRC Palette: Reality(35), Clarity(15)

Advanced Settings:

Black Corrector: Off

Advanced C.E.: Off

Gamma: Low

Clear White: Off

Live Color: Off

Color Space: Wide

Detail Enhancer: Off

Edge Enhancer: Off

Power Saving: Off

Display Area: Normal/Cable Box - Full Pixel/HD-DVD

White Balance(GrayScale):

R-Gain: -2

G-Gain: -3

B-Gain: -15

R-Bias: -4

G-Bias: -2

B-Bias: -1

Gray Scale Color Temperature Kelvins:

(Pre-Calibration) (Post-Calibration)

100 IRE: 7825 / 100 IRE: 6550

90 IRE: 7750 / 90 IRE: 6475

80 IRE: 7700 / 80 IRE: 6500

70 IRE: 7500 / 70 IRE: 6450

65 IRE: 7450 / 65 IRE: 6425

60 IRE: 7400 / 60 IRE: 6400

55 IRE: 7650 / 55 IRE: 6455

50 IRE: 7600 / 50 IRE: 6475

45 IRE: 7525 / 45 IRE: 6500

40 IRE: 7450 / 40 IRE: 6500

30 IRE: 7425 / 30 IRE: 6450

20 IRE: 7400 / 20 IRE: 6425

You can see by the above pre and post calibration temps. that pre calibration

was a little on the cool side and after calibration its almost dead on 6500 kelvin

from 20 IRE to 100 IRE.

The Tech who performed the calibration does reviews for CNET and actually

reviewed this model and I highly recommend him.

I'll post my XBOX 360 settings tomorrow as there are some differences because

of the use of component(analog) connections.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I just got my 40" XBR3. After a day of tweaking I've decided temporarily on this:

Picture Mode: Custom

Backlight: 4 (Black levels don't get much darker than this)

Picture: Max (Used GetGray to verify that I wasn't losing white detail, even with all that contrast.)

Brightness: 51 (GetGray verified)

Color: 50 (I don't have a blue filter to adjust this one yet)

HUE: 0 (Can't adjust it until I get a blue filter)

Color Temp: Neutral (I can't decide between this and Warm 1)

Sharpness: 55 (It really helps with SD - with HD-DVD I don't see much difference)

Noise Red.: HD - off, SD - low

DRC Mode: HD - 1, SD - off

DRC Palette: Reality(70), Clarity(30) (Just heard these settings recommended somewhere - havn't played with them yet)

Advanced Settings:

Black Corrector: HD - Off, SD - Low (Yes, you lose some detail, but the picture looks washed out in comparison when BC is off)

Advanced C.E.: Medium (This doesn't seem to cause a loss of detail)

Gamma: Low (Havn't tried different settings yet)

Clear White: Off

Live Color: Off

Color Space: Normal (The wide just seems to increase saturation?)

Detail Enhancer: HD - Low, SD - Medium (This helps with blurry SD broadcasts)

Edge Enhancer: Low (I don't see much difference between the levels, so I lef it at default)

Power Saving: Off

Light Sensor: Off

CeniMotion: Auto (I don't know what this does)

White Balance:

R-Gain: -15, G-Gain: -15 (The GetGray gradients showed some clipping in the high ends of these colors, so I made a temporary correction)

All others: 0 (I will do a full calibration soon to change these)

These settings, however, are only temporary. I am on the waiting list for a DirecTV HD-DVR to replace the SD receiver that I am using now. The SD receiver is hooked up with component, while the HD receiver will use HDMI. I expect this will make a difference in optimal settings. I also have a Sypder 2 sensor, GetGray, and CALMan software ready to do a full calibration as soon as I get that blue filter. Oh, yeah, and I do have to figure out how to do a full calibration first. From what I've heard, the full calibration should make a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
85 Posts
petmic10.

As one of the above posters stated, thank you. These settings work well on my set. I look forward very much to your settings for the xbox360.

I do have one question, do you use DRC for 1080i content? If you do, what is your setting? I ask this because Sony claims that their DRC mode 2 works especially well with 1080i content. I have had a hard time getting a better picture with it though. An example is with the pro football broadcasts on NBC (if memory serves me correctly.)

On the NFL broadcasts, there is a "grid" at the bottom of the screen. When I turn DRC mode 2 on, this grid becomes somewhat distorted. When I leave DRC mode 2 off, it becomes much more clear and you can actually make out the spaces in the grid. Do you feel DRC mode 2 is worth leaving on or off? Thanks again for your settings, I was using the cnet settings before and these do seem better. Good color "pop" without oversaturation.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Another thanks to you, Petmic, for being willing to post your settings on the boards. I/we appreciate your helpfulness. The settings do look better than what I had on there, but I cant decide on whether I want to keep DRC on or not. Either way, thanks man! I, too, look forward to hearing about your settings for the 360.

PS.

I'm about to go post some more pics (featuring your settings) in the owner's thread.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks to petmic10 for posting those calibartion setting.

How do I set (get) Gray Scale Color Temperature?. Is it under the service menu or user menu?. Please help me on that.............

·
Registered
3,167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by satiger /forum/post/0

Thanks to petmic10 for posting those calibartion setting.

How do I set (get) Gray Scale Color Temperature?. Is it under the service menu or user menu?. Please help me on that.............

User menu, under White Balance

You change the GrayScale color temperature under White Balance with

the R,G,B, Gain and R,G,B, Bias controls.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbr2dabest /forum/post/0

thanks alot pet

those settings work well on my set

however i left my DRC to Off

I mentioned the DRC mode to the tech and he tested it in mode 1 with his

equipment and noticed a slight increase in PQ with it on.

It somehow works in conjuction with the sharpness control.

141 - 160 of 1418 Posts