AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After hours of searches, I've come up dry for any comparisons or details regarding these two LED sets. I posted this in the "help me choose" thread, but thought I might garner a little more feedback by starting a new one. Mods, if this is unacceptable practice I apologize and this post can be removed.

We're finally replacing the old Westinghouse LVM47 ($800 credit to be applied via the extended warranty), but we require the always masterful help from you all.

Here's the two front runners:

Sony BRAVIA 55" 1080p 120Hz LED HDTV (KDL55EX620)

LG 55" 1080p 120Hz LED HDTV (55LV5400)

Anyone have an opinion one way or the other between these two? Internet connectivity and those sorts of bells and whistles aren't crucial selling points. Only input devices are PS3 and MacBook Pro (both connecting via HDMI). Sound system will function just fine using the optical audio out on either set. The price is comparable between both (LG is about $100 less than Sony). I prefer the finish of the Bravia, but my wife is leaning toward the LG. Frankly I'm indifferent, I just want to be sure I'm getting the best overall unit for our needs.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
Both are fine sets. The Sony is a 2011 model with deep blacks. The LG is a leftover 2011 with black levels probably not as good as the Sony, though still with a very good overall picture. The LG with an IPS panel (if you're lucky enough to get one) will have better viewing angles.

My opinion... I'd pick the Sony and not give it a second thought.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the response!

I'm now going to do some research on "edge-lit" LED's; I haven't found many favourable reviews on the technology as of yet. Also considering looking for a discounted 60Hz model of some sort, since the 120Hz displays always look very unnatural to me. If we do get a 120Hz display, that feature will be permanently turned off.

Any thoughts on the Samsung brand? I've had a few people suggest that as well. Model UN55D6000SFXZA is what would be available to us.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teedub1978 /forum/post/20547813

Thank you for the response!

I'm now going to do some research on "edge-lit" LED's; I haven't found many favourable reviews on the technology as of yet. Also considering looking for a discounted 60Hz model of some sort, since the 120Hz displays always look very unnatural to me. If we do get a 120Hz display, that feature will be permanently turned off.

Any thoughts on the Samsung brand? I've had a few people suggest that as well. Model UN55D6000SFXZA is what would be available to us.

Thanks again!

120hz is the refresh rate. It can't be turned off. What can be turned off or adjusted is the motion processing associated with the 120hz refresh rate.

I (and many others on this Forum) have advocated many times that all things equal, a 120hz TV will always look better than a 60hz TV. And the only way to make them equal is to turn off the motion processing. Some folks love it, others hate it. When the motion processing is turned up "high" creating a "soap opera effect," that's what many people, including me, consider unnatural.

By the way, there is a thread on this Forum dedicated to the D6000. You may want to check it out.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1321982

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ugh, I had a beautiful post all typed up and it didn't post properly. I'll try and condense it for you.

Sorry, I had meant "motion processing" feature that I would turn off on the 120Hz set. The terminology sometimes slips up for me.

Thanks for the Samsung thread, I will keep that in mind as well.

The issue now is: Why would I spend so much on an LED edge lit LCD when I could likely find a CCFL LCD for much less that would provide a comparable PQ? Ideally I would like a full array LED with local dimming, but I fear that will take us out of our price range. Our last TV suffered from uneven brightness (banding), and I'd like to avoid that if possible this time around, though I've read the edge lit LED's can have similar problems. Do you have any thoughts regarding this?

My choices are now this: Find a CCFL backlit LCD of comparable size and less cost; look into a full array/local dimming LED LCD at a higher price; or get the edge lit Sony, which seems to be overpriced considering the backlight option will be comparable to the CCFL.

(Plasma is right out due to a crazy amount of reflection and daylight viewing at our place.)

Thanks again for all your help.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teedub1978 /forum/post/20558483

Ended up with the Bravia, it is wonderful.

I loved this thread... because I'm looking at the same 2 TVs at Bestbuy.

This will be my first flat screen tv. I'm currently still using my 32" JVC tube tv. Time to join reality. :)

My biggest fear is the light bleeding from the sides. Every once in awhile I read reviews that scare me, you know? I don't know how picky the reviewers are.

I also was assuming I'd get a plasma, but after talking to a few non-plasma-files I'm thinking LED all the way.

So, you are happy with this TV, eh? I'll be using it for blueray movies, ps3 first person shooters, and streaming stuff from my pc. I could not care less about all the added gimmicks like netflicks, skype, apps, etc.... don't care, won't use them. Picture quality is all I care about.

So... tell me more... any negatives you've noticed at all?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts