AVS Forum banner
  • Get an exclusive sneak peek into our new project. >>> Click Here
  • Our native mobile app has a new name: Fora Communities. Learn more.

Sony Bravia KLV-S32A10

919 Views 4 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  PAnoah6791
I'm making this post because I can find barely any posts regarding this LCD, and I'm plenty sure that there are some of you out there looking for info on it. Please keep in mind I do not have telescopic eyes like rest of you AVS'er here. I just enjoy a good tv to watch an equally good movie on, and perhaps even one day play an XBox 360.

I bought KLV-S32A10 last night at Best Buy. It was on sale and 200 bucks off the normal price. I'm definitely enjoying it so far. Unfortunately I do not have any true HD source currently to test out the HD pic quality. Standard Def from analogue cable is fairly nasty, but no more than expected.

The beauty was watching my dvd's using my laptop as a upcoverting player through the VGA connection. Everything looks beautiful even though the dvd's are not HD. It took me a while to get the settings right, but I think I got it working the way I want it. I've tested Spider-man 2, Lord of the Rings, Batman Begins, Serenity, Blade Runner, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Equilibrium and an episode of the Shield. Every one of the dvd's looked fantastic. Definitely get a good upcoverting dvd player though.

One major gripe I have is with one scene in Serenity. Near the end, there is a scene with a dark room with only red lights on all the actors. On my laptop it looks fine, it just looks like red lights shining on the actors. However, on the TV it looks like the actors are glowing red instead, kinda like red Oompa Loompas. I've tried adjusting as much as I could to fix it, to no avail. It might be because of the input type. I have a DVI to HDMI cable here at work I'm gonna bring home and test it out to make sure.

That is the only example where it didn't look good at all. I've looked at Spider-man 2 dvd and the reds at the beginning credit looked fine, but not great.

I have not noticed any serious ghosting, if any at all. I'm not really nitpicky with the black levels, so I'm not the best one to ask about it. But I definitely didn't have any problems with the black levels with any of the movies. Dark scenes looked black without overwhelming any of the action.

I am planning on downloading some 720p video on my laptop after I get home from work tonight and see how it looks.

Keep in mind though, I'm no expert. I'm just a regular joe who likes me a fancy tv.

I am, however, going to test it out with more videos to make sure this tv is it for me. If I see any serious flaws, I wouldn't hesitate returning the TV and get something else. But currently, I'm very satisfied with the purchase, and really happy with the dvd playback. Hopefully I will have more good news to add once I've seen some 720p materials.
See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Thanks Screwball, I posted a similar question yesterday and have had no response. Please post another update when you have had some more time with it. How is the sound quality?

I have been eyeing this model at Costco and am about to pull the trigger on this or the 32" XBR.
First thing I would do is make sure you aren't on Vivid mode. It sounds like you made some changes but I'm not sure which you made. Change from Vivid to Standard, then adjust from there.
horns06

I didn't test out the sound extensively, since I was outputing the sound from my PC straight into my stereo. From my limited experience with it, I can say that it isn't memorable enough to say it's good or otherwise. Simply put, the sound works, that's all I know.

sfhub

I did switch it from Vivid to standard and eventually to Pro. Currently I've kept it at Pro if I remember correctly. It made little difference though, with the red scene in Serenity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by horns06
Thanks Screwball, I posted a similar question yesterday and have had no response. Please post another update when you have had some more time with it. How is the sound quality?

I have been eyeing this model at Costco and am about to pull the trigger on this or the 32" XBR.
Yeah, we just bought the same exact model at Costco yesterday :p We've been enjoying it a ton so far, the DVD's look great even through our crappy DVD player. We only have analog cable hooked up to it now (we're upgrading to digital and HD in the near future) so the picture doesn't reflect how nice the TV really is.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.