AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1118 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sony BRAVIA S3000 Series

This thread is to discuss the Sony BRAVIA S3000 LCD televisions, released in May 2007. What are everyone's initial impressions? Has anyone optimized their settings yet?

I'll update the sections below as more information becomes available:

Specs
KDL-32S3000
KDL-40S3000

Reviews

???

Optimized Settings

???

·
Registered
22 Posts
I really like mine (40S3000). Although I don't have any other LCD screens to compare it against, I think the PQ is pretty darn good. I run the old XBox and DVD through the component inputs and TV from the wall cable. The digital tuner picks up a lot of stations and the HD ones look phenomenal. The SD stations look noticeably different, although still very watchable; I am pleasantly surprised with the quality of the SD on this set.

I ran through some of the settings suggested in the V2500 thread, and, for the most part, they seem to be right. However, I'm not so sure I'm looking at it objectively as *everything* seems to look great in HD (I recently found myself watching an infomercial for something. . .).

The menu system is pretty easy to navigate and it only fills up half of the screen when adjusting the PQ settings. That's fine for me since I'm still learning how to discern the subtle differences in settings although I can imagine that some might want to see move screen.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not that I could see with the normal settings. I haven't seen a set with clouding to compare so I don't know if I'm just not seeing any. I imagine from reading other posts that I'd be able to see it clear as day if it exists.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's my review...

Overall:

Simply a great set, no regrets. To date no design or quality-control flaws have surfaced. Keeping my fingers crossed, this might be one of the few sets that no one can complain about...perhaps a sign of maturity for this class of TVs.

Black Level:

Thumbs up. This was a big concern of mine since the LCDs you see in the store are usually washed out since no one bothers to optimize the settings. However, the S3000's black levels are good right out of the box - and even better with some tweaking. I'm continually impressed with how black the sidebars are when watching SD.

Clouding:

None.

SD PQ:

No complaints here. Tough to form an opinion since I haven't watched SD on any other LCDs, but it looks good to me! I attempted to take some pictures of the SD quality and attached them below.

HD PQ:

Great! The S3000 won me over and made me forget about spending big on 1080p/120hz when I saw it in the store and felt it outperformed all the other Sony's on the wall. The 10-bit makes a noticeable difference in color depth. I can't wait to see how this TV looks once people start posting some optimized settings.

Other tidbits:

- My PS3 is connected via HDMI without any issues.

- I haven't tested the PC connectivity yet.

- PIP/P&P works well, the only downside being that one the two inputs you're watching must be connected via coax. In other words, don't expect to be able to use PIP/P&P with two different HDMI sources, or with an HDMI and a PC source.

- The only thing I wish this TV had was a swivel stand - oh well!

SD Pictures from a variety of channels, for what it's worth. Don't pay too close attention to color since these were just happy snaps as I'm not sure of the "correct" way to photograph your TV. Nevertheless, they're a decent representation of the clarity of SD:

·
Registered
352 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrmoore /forum/post/0

I'm seriously considering one of these and will be watching carefully for comments!

Randy

me too, maybe tomorrow. Anybody has anything to say about buying from Ebay stores?

·
Registered
22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orestesdd /forum/post/0

Does this sony model come equipped with HDMI 1.3 or 1.3a? What is the response time on this model?

According to a sales person at Sony Style, none of their sets currently support HDMI 1.3. Perhaps the higher end sets due this fall will.

·
Registered
146 Posts
hi...i picked up a 32s3000 last night .

i will hook it up tonight.

special thanx to jmhumr for the heads up about this new sony lineup!

i will report back with initial impressions soon!

·
Registered
352 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjet /forum/post/0

hi...i picked up a 32s3000 last night .

i will hook it up tonight.

special thanx to jmhumr for the heads up about this new sony lineup!

i will report back with initial impressions soon!

Looking forward to reading about your S3000. Congrats.

·
Registered
906 Posts
JMHUMR,

Regarding your statement of the following:

"SD PQ: No complaints here. Tough to form an opinion since I haven't watched SD on any other LCDs, but it looks good to me!"

I can't tell but it looks like the first, or all of the pictures show the TV using the sidebars. Is there a stretch mode to go to 16:9. I assume there is. If so, how does the screen look in stretch mode?

Does it do what I call the "Fathead" conversion, or does it stretch from the sides so most everyone shown in the middle of the screen does not look "Fatheaded."

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpOne /forum/post/0

JMHUMR,

Regarding your statement of the following:

"SD PQ: No complaints here. Tough to form an opinion since I haven't watched SD on any other LCDs, but it looks good to me!"

I can't tell but it looks like the first, or all of the pictures show the TV using the sidebars. Is there a stretch mode to go to 16:9. I assume there is. If so, how does the screen look in stretch mode?

Does it do what I call the "Fathead" conversion, or does it stretch from the sides so most everyone shown in the middle of the screen does not look "Fatheaded."

Yeah, all of those pic swere taken with sidebars. The S3000 lets you choose all of the options you describe:

"Wide Zoom" (stretch to 16:9)

"Zoom" (zoom to 16:9)

"Full" (sidebars)

Below are some more crappy shots I took. The first two are Wide Zoom (stretch), the last is Zoom...

·
Registered
28 Posts
By the way, how's the Tv in fast moving scenes/action games? 8ms on a GOOD tv is just as good as on others from my experience, so I'm curious.

·
Registered
22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalaster /forum/post/0

Wide zoom stretch doesn't look bad at all.

But, remember, it also depends upon the perspective of the original source. For example, I watched a DVD last night that in normal mode only filled a small portion of the screen. Since it was nearly 16:9, zooming it to the width of the screen filled up almost the entire screen and still maintained its proportions.

Stretching or zooming 4:3 sources to fill the entire screen yields the 'fathead', as someone posted earlier.

·
Registered
22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalaster /forum/post/0

By the way, how's the Tv in fast moving scenes/action games? 8ms on a GOOD tv is just as good as on others from my experience, so I'm curious.

My experience has been pretty good, for the most part. A lot really depends on the source, though. Most things displayed as progressive scan do seem to me to have very little motion blur, although I can sometimes see some on interlaced scans, particularly the 480i TV broadcasts. Of course, that might be attributable to the fact that it's 480i.

1 - 20 of 1118 Posts