AVS Forum banner

181 - 200 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Good point, but what about the 98" Xiaomi Tv's that were FALD and around $3000 last year? I thought for sure we'd see some big name try to compete or best them in 2021.
I’d expect them, TCL, Vizio, Hisense etc to be the price disruptor in this segment but also that Xiaomi was available overseas only. Had they made it available in the US, it would’ve been more like $5-6k, possibly more. It’s certainly a step in the right direction for anyone optimistic about large screens but Sony is not going to undercut the competition when the competition doesn’t even exist.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I’d expect them, TCL, Vizio, Hisense etc to be the price disruptor in this segment but also that Xiaomi was available overseas only. Had they made it available in the US, it would’ve been more like $5-6k, possibly more. It’s certainly a step in the right direction for anyone optimistic about large screens but Sony is not going to undercut the competition when the competition doesn’t even exist.
So can we set up a bet?? I have it launching for 10k USD and under, and you have the over.. How much do you want to wager?

·
Registered
684 Posts
So can we set up a bet?? I have it launching for 10k USD and under, and you have the over.. How much do you want to wager?
LOL it ain’t that serious. Let’s just wait and see. Trust me, I hope you’re right because I want one too but a top tier TV maker cutting pricing on a niche product before market saturation is unheard of.

Reactions: Ted99

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
LOL it ain’t that serious. Let’s just wait and see. Trust me, I hope you’re right because I want one too but a top tier TV maker cutting pricing on a niche product before market saturation is unheard of.
It will be under $10K. And yes brands simply tag the price off of their head(it is unrelated to actual production cost as long as they know they can make enough profit out of it) as that is the market where they sell least and need to make as much profit as possible from it. But X92J being upscaled X90J SONY knows that they cannot push its sales if they price it that high. And this time SONY wants to high volumes out unlike what they did with Z9D or Z9G.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Even if the 100" retails for 15K there should be a lot of buyers. The Sony Qualia 006, a 70" rear projection tv, was launched in 2005 for 13K and didn't sell so bad. I think below 10K is just a pipe dream.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Even if the 100" retails for 15K there should be a lot of buyers. The Sony Qualia 006, a 70" rear projection tv, was launched in 2005 for 13K and didn't sell so bad. I think below 10K is just a pipe dream.
I will also offer the same bet to you...If you're confident in your theory.. let's do this....

·
Premium Member
7,202 Posts
The level of discourse in this thread is embarrassing.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Nope it was not better than Z9D besides being much brighter than Z9D which already extremely bright. The Backlight-Control on Z9D is unmatched till this year. With new Mini_LED TVS it may change if LG or SAMSUNG manages to do it right and not screw up like TCL. Z9G Backlight-control was still good and better than other brands from competition but issue was with X-Wide angle implementation and the color grading was not the Z9D level either and that is what pushed Z9G back in my opinion.
Yeah, there is a difference between the BMD of the Z9D and Z9G. The Z9D's is the "original" so to speak; meaning it is controlled on a per LED level. Each LED in itself represents a zone which is why blooming control is so damn good on the Z9D. Incidentally, there also is a difference between the panels used for the 65" and 75" Z9D models (and I'm guessing the 100" must be a whole other ball game).

The Z9G uses a "downgraded" version of BMD; it's still BMD, but the LEDs are packed in zones like with regular FALD. Add to that the use of the X-wide tech combined with the Z9G's very high peak brightness, and you have the reason why blooming is more of an issue this time around.

A real shame, as I was really looking forward to the 85Z9G, but decided to pass on it for reasons mentioned above. IMO (and I'm a Sony fanboy), Sony has gone backwards on the LCD front instead of forward after 2016. I'm also disappointed with Sony not having a MiniLED this year, I was actually expecting that they would have. Oh well, the wait for a worthy Z9D follow up continues...

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #191
Yeah, there is a difference between the BMD of the Z9D and Z9G. The Z9D's is the "original" so to speak; meaning it is controlled on a per LED level. Each LED in itself represents a zone which is why blooming control is so damn good on the Z9D. Incidentally, there also is a difference between the panels used for the 65" and 75" Z9D models (and I'm guessing the 100" must be a whole other ball game).

The Z9G uses a "downgraded" version of BMD; it's still BMD, but the LEDs are packed in zones like with regular FALD. Add to that the use of the X-wide tech combined with the Z9G's very high peak brightness, and you have the reason why blooming is more of an issue this time around.

A real shame, as I was really looking forward to the 85Z9G, but decided to pass on it for reasons mentioned above. IMO (and I'm a Sony fanboy), Sony has gone backwards on the LCD front instead of forward after 2016. I'm also disappointed with Sony not having a MiniLED this year, I was actually expecting that they would have. Oh well, the wait for a worthy Z9D follow up continues...
Yes. Probably Next year. Seriously SONY went the other way with their LED lineup after 2016-2017. I have been waiting for the same. At-least I was lucky that I picked up X93E back then not as good as Z9D but better than what came Next. One more year of Waiting.

·
Vendor
28,616 Posts
Well, obviously the people saying selling a 100 inch under 60k is impossible just got owned.... What it cost to produce a 98/100 inch panel is way less than people think here..
That model looks to have never been released in the US. So beautiful type and web hype, but no chance of owning.

LG has the 98UH5F-H and NEC has the C981Q monitors available.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I bought one of those for it's "large" size (lol) and it was 1080i, lousy contrast, lousy color, lousy brightness compared to XBR sets of only one year later. And I'll buy a 100" the second year it's out to replace my FP

·
Registered
302 Posts
Sony is really in the weeds when it comes to their led sets. Getting further behind even tcl. Oleds look good

·
Registered
262 Posts
Sony is really in the weeds when it comes to their led sets. Getting further behind even tcl. Oleds look good
They won big with the average consumer wanting a mid end set considering they are going to be putting their best upscale processor in the X90J. You add to the fact that 4k 120fps on the X90J won't have a blurry picture like the x900h does, and I would call that a big step up for their mid range tv.... Also, being the first to market to come out with a 100 inch that people can justify actually buying is a huge thing hat people are not giving them credit for. They obviously failed at the high end niche market for the people looking for a Z9G successor. Sony needs to come way down on their 8k line considering the great prices TCL will have on their 8k line...I expect they will next year as all other companies with their 8k line won't have a choice because of what TCL is doing this year. The Z9J is obviously going to sell terribly and Sony will be forced to go back to the drawing board next year for their 8k lcd line... I predict at least 2 8k tv's in their lineup next year with much cheaper pricing, and one, if not both will be mini led

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
They won big with the average consumer wanting a mid end set considering they are going to be putting their best upscale processor in the X90J. You add to the fact that 4k 120fps on the X90J won't have a blurry picture like the x900h does, and I would call that a big step up for their mid range tv.... Also, being the first to market to come out with a 100 inch that people can justify actually buying is a huge thing hat people are not giving them credit for. They obviously failed at the high end niche market for the people looking for a Z9G successor. Sony needs to come way down on their 8k line considering the great prices TCL will have on their 8k line...I expect they will next year as all other companies with their 8k line won't have a choice because of what TCL is doing this year. The Z9J is obviously going to sell terribly and Sony will be forced to go back to the drawing board next year for their 8k lcd line... I predict at least 2 8k tv's in their lineup next year with much cheaper pricing, and one, if not both will be mini led
We expected a lot more than a 100" LED TV at a meaningful price. If they delivered Mini-LED and then gave us that 100" TV it would have been considered as a bonus. But now SONY has simply left many dissatisfied. There are people who would purchase that 100" TV over 100-110" projector setup if they ended up costing same. But people who were looking forward to have Mini-LED offering on top of the Line models are left dissatisfied. Even though they will be spending in same ballpark as that 100" X92J they won't be considering it as an option or settling to purchase that over the Master Series.

·
Registered
262 Posts
We expected a lot more than a 100" LED TV at a meaningful price. If they delivered Mini-LED and then gave us that 100" TV it would have been considered as a bonus. But now SONY has simply left many dissatisfied. There are people who would purchase that 100" TV over 100-110" projector setup if they ended up costing same. But people who were looking forward to have Mini-LED offering on top of the Line models are left dissatisfied. Even though they will be spending in same ballpark as that 100" X92J they won't be considering it as an option or settling to purchase that over the Master Series.
I agree for the most part.. Everybody should just be thankful that TCL is completely turning everything upside down releasing their 8k mini led line at close to 4k pricing, which will cause every other company to adjust the pricing of their sets this year. .. TCL really is a savior when it comes to high end current tech at justifiable pricing, and will force Sony, Samsung and whoever elses hand next year to make their sets have top notch quality at much cheaper pricing.. Much cheaper at least on the 8k side of things...

Matter of fact.. maybe I should wait until TCL releases a 100 inch or bigger 8ktv before I buy my next tv..I know you would hate for me to have that mindstate...

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #200
I agree for the most part.. Everybody should just be thankful that TCL is completely turning everything upside down releasing their 8k mini led line at close to 4k pricing, which will cause every other company to adjust the pricing of their sets this year. .. TCL really is a savior when it comes to high end current tech at justifiable pricing, and will force Sony, Samsung and whoever elses hand next year to make their sets have top notch quality at much cheaper pricing.. Much cheaper at least on the 8k side of things...

Matter of fact.. maybe I should wait until TCL releases a 100 inch or bigger 8ktv before I buy my next tv..I know you would hate for me to have that mindstate...
Nah it is fine. Because no matter how bad the Picture quality on it may be if it is priced very low it will still be far superior to similarly priced Low end Projector setups.

181 - 200 of 219 Posts