AVS Forum banner

941 - 960 of 999 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
How????

Let me tell you that with larger TV the Off Axis Issue is very less. Me sitting in my Hall I had 32" CRT long ago upgraded to 46" LCD and then to 65" LED. In all the cases the Seating arrangement was fixed. And the Seating to sides got the 32" CRT and 46" LCD to be Off axis but the 65" LED has wider coverage and hence the image aspect to viewing angle is less Off axis. And no the colors are perfect on my X930E even when viewed from Side seating Position. The issue arises when I am Off axis and only less than 4ft away from TV. But No one is going to sit 4ft close to 65" TV at Off axis. At 5-6ft away and Off axis where my Seating Position is there is No issue at all.

And I just cant imagine a Hall where TV is placed on a Wall with Wide Orientation. And the seating arrangement where side seats are on the extreme ends of the Room. The Larger the TV less is the issue. And if some one says that they have their seating just 5feet away from 75" or 85" TV then that is only applicable to the 0.01% which I was talking about. No one gets such a huge TV and sits that close to it. Size of the Room and seating distance should be considered when Purchasing TV.
Viewing angle applies to the entire screen, so given a fixed viewing distance a bigger screen will have even more issues. So say you sit to the left of the TV if you get a bigger screen the right side of the screen now becomes more off angle to you, sure the left side is now closer to you and less of an angle but the right side is worse. The center of the screen however remains the same angle to you so you now have a more un-uniform screen.

Another issue is with large screen if sit close enough to a screen with a poor viewing angle even sitting dead center the edges of the screen are going to be at a steep angle to you so only the center of the screen will look good.

The one saving grace for a large TV is typically people sit further back from a large TV, and that will reduce the angle viewers off center will be to the screen.

·
Registered
6,284 Posts
I've made peace with the price of the X90J. The price of everything is going up with inflation. The lack of VRR doesn't bug me because I have a Nintendo Switch. I'll use the free stuff in the smart hub as an extention of my Roku stick. I hope this TV is good because I'm ready to buy.
Are you referring to Sony X92J 100"? If so, were you able to find out which retail locations will be carrying?

·
Registered
6,284 Posts
According to Amazon Canada, the X90J will be released April 10. Couldn’t find it on the Amazon US site though.
FWIW B&H Photo (US) is showing Apr. 5 pre-order for X90J 50", 55", 65"., and Apr. 19 pre-order for X90J 75".

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
Current LG C9 OLED owner but I have found myself watching content, even critical movie watching, with lights on rather than dark. Because of this, I am interested in the Samsung QN900A or the Sony Z9J, both in 75".

The Rtings review is up for the Samsung and it looks phenomenal, especially the peak nits. But it doesn't have Dolby Vision, which I have come to love.

So the Z9J could be the winner for me. Any idea of ETA? And does it have Mini LED like the Sammy?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #945
At the MRSP they could be found relatively easy, it wasn’t until the massive price drops people started gobbling them up. Of course, all TV’s see price drops but just not as massive as the Z9D did considering the MRSP. And you're right the Z9F was a failure in comparison to the D especially the 65”. This is why I mentioned Sony had to re-evaluate how the new Z-series would need to contend without such a loss from a profit/performance point of view. Even if this meant it was arguably going to be worse.
We are discussing Z9D and not the Z9F right. Because I can't remember Z9D going down on price by more than 5-10%(The lowest Possible Discount on TVs) of MSRP even over Festive season and End of the Year Sale. Z9D sold out crazy and had high demand. Its Production stopped around April 2018 and It ran out of stock in Almost all the places soon after. After checking Z9F in July 2018 I tried to look for Z9D to Purchase. But it was out of stock Everywhere. Online and Offline. I tried in 3 Different States. But it was out of Stock Every Where.

·
Registered
301 Posts
We are discussing Z9D and not the Z9F right. Because I can't remember Z9D going down on price by more than 5-10%(The lowest Possible Discount on TVs) of MSRP even over Festive season and End of the Year Sale. Z9D sold out crazy and had high demand. Its Production stopped around April 2018 and It ran out of stock in Almost all the places soon after. After checking Z9F in July 2018 I tried to look for Z9D to Purchase. But it was out of stock Everywhere. Online and Offline. I tried in 3 Different States. But it was out of Stock Every Where.
Correct. we are discussing the Z9D. Here is an example, the 75" Z9D went for in the ballpark of 10 grand MRSP. I have seen it for as low 3.5 grand. 2018 was getting toward EOL, I can't remember exact dates and pricing off the top of my head but as supplies started to dry up they were harder to get and find a deal on.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #952
Correct. we are discussing the Z9D. Here is an example, the 75" Z9D went for in the ballpark of 10 grand MRSP. I have seen it for as low 3.5 grand. 2018 was getting toward EOL, I can't remember exact dates and pricing off the top of my head but as supplies started to dry up they were harder to get and find a deal on.
Are you serious. Are you sure it was not Open-box or Used. Well possibly you guys got excessive stock. But I remember B&H and Amazon.com were out of stock when I checked back then. Same goes for UK stores as I was planning to import it. But nope had no luck and in India it was completely out of stock. I had no luck finding it in stock in Any major website in US and UK from where I could get it shipped back then.

Are you sure it was Z9D for 3.5K and was New Sealed Box. I don't think that was possible seeing how high the demand back then was.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
I'm torn between the new Sony OLED or waiting for the Z9J to see how it pans out. Mainly because I don't watch critically in a dark environment anymore so I don't know if I'd benefit more from the Z9J being brighter

·
Registered
301 Posts
Are you serious. Are you sure it was not Open-box or Used. Well possibly you guys got excessive stock. But I remember B&H and Amazon.com were out of stock when I checked back then. Same goes for UK stores as I was planning to import it. But nope had no luck and in India it was completely out of stock. I had no luck finding it in stock in Any major website in US and UK from where I could get it shipped back then.

Are you sure it was Z9D for 3.5K and was New Sealed Box. I don't think that was possible seeing how high the demand back then was.
Very serious and certain. But I'm going to leave it at that and say bring on these new 2021 models. I'm looking at you x95J and Z9J.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #957
I'm torn between the new Sony OLED or waiting for the Z9J to see how it pans out. Mainly because I don't watch critically in a dark environment anymore so I don't know if I'd benefit more from the Z9J being brighter
I say go for A90J if you can dim the lights or if the lights are not directly on the opposite side where you plan to place the TV so that they get reflected on it. Besides that A90J reflection wont be noticeable for 90% of the time unless you are watching a movie which has lot of dark scenes(in that case watch at the night with lights off).

But if you wanna go for LED. I say wait and see another year if possible otherwise Z9J should be a decent choice as well. But yeah I say wait and see how the Z9J is reviewed and if possible wait another Year for Possible Mini-LED TV from SONY.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #958
Very serious and certain. But I'm going to leave it at that and say bring on these new 2021 models. I'm looking at you x95J and Z9J.
That was a good deal. I wish we had similar deal here. But well yes it is in the past and we cannot get our hands on new Z9D. Well here in India it is even hard to find Z9D on second hand market irrelevant of the asking price.

X95J and Z9J will be better than the competition but yeah don't have high hopes for them anyways.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
I say go for A90J if you can dim the lights or if the lights are not directly on the opposite side where you plan to place the TV so that they get reflected on it. Besides that A90J reflection wont be noticeable for 90% of the time unless you are watching a movie which has lot of dark scenes(in that case watch at the night with lights off).

But if you wanna go for LED. I say wait and see another year if possible otherwise Z9J should be a decent choice as well. But yeah I say wait and see how the Z9J is reviewed and if possible wait another Year for Possible Mini-LED TV from SONY.
With my new business and working at home, I do my "critical watching" with lights on (no dimming). I have the ability to watch completely dark, which used to be the way I did, but not so much now.

941 - 960 of 999 Posts